Nurburgring 24hr race Update******

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Extubby

Nurburgring 24hr race Update******

Post by Extubby »

See report below.

I am off to Germany to the Nurburgring in the morning to watch the 24hr race. Will be over there for the weekend and come back on Sunday afternoon. Should be a good weekend.

Anyone else going?
Last edited by Extubby on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
blue2

Re: Nurburgring 24hr race Update******

Post by blue2 »

Id love to go see this, may well go next year. Get loads of pics! :thumleft:
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Will do :thumleft:
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

I raced in this last year - great event!

We are looking to put a package together for next year's event with a Ginetta G50.

If you haven't been before your in for a treat!

Regards,

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

I was there. It was an excellent event! Walking through the trackside encampments, hammered at 3am was like being in Mad Max. Loved it!
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Well what can I say....... what n mazing time we hd over there.
We left Thursday morning at 4.00am to dover and had a nice smooth run down, on the ferry for a nice coffee and a cooked breakfast. Before you know it your in Calais and off the ferry.

We went in convoy with a support teams for one of the race teams which was interesting to say the least! For weeks and weeks I looked at how fast you can drive to the ring and came to the conclusion that it was best to stick to 80mph. Oh no... we drove through France and Belgium at 85-90 and Germany at 100. Now I assume that as they have done this trip 30 + times they know what their doing.

We get to the ring in no time and go straight to Pistenclause to add 2 more to our booking for Friday night.

Had a lovely cold beer while we were in there and spent most of the time reading the names on the ceiling. For those of you that have been that will make sense, for the others you need to go and see it.

Dumped our bags off and went to Pinnochio's for some food. Was really looking forward to this and it was a bit of a dissapointment. They were so busy they could not cope and the service was awful.

Just as we were off to watch night qualifying viewing at Breidscheid the heavens opened and for the next hour we were in a thunderstorm. Was not too bad though as we had a few umberallas and cold beer. Quite amazing to hear the rain and thunder with the sound of V8's, V10's screaming away in the background. Watching them tip toe around and squeezing the power on was intense. A few got very sideways but somehow managed to get it straight and off they went. What I found incredible was that no matter how many laps I have watched or played on the PS2 it gives you little idea of the gradients on track. It's so steep in places.

Off to be.

Up early and off to watch day qualifying followed by a walk around the pits. I will let the pictures do the talking

The Lexus LF-A has to be the best sounding car I have ever heard.

We then went off to watch some other racing and have yet more to drink.

That evening we went to Pistenklause and had the famous steak on a slab which was pretty tasty. There were a few drivers in there and Sabine was in there but didn't see her.

Up Saturday morning for the big day.
Back off to the track to watch some smaller races going on and to walk around the garages again. Saw the drivers that we knew and wished them well for the race and headed out to the pit lane. The passes we had allowed us to walk around with the media, video crews, drivers on the start grid. A bit like the F1 pit walk that Martin B does.

Time to leave the grid and get to our viewing point 3km in from the start.
For the parade lap we were allowed to stand at the edge of the track and cheer on the drivers as the went past. Must really get the drivers going seeing all the spectators on the edge of the track cheering and waving you on.

The rest of the day we spent hoping from point to point aroiund the track through into the evening where we finished up back up at Breidscheid for some night viewing.

Would reccomend it to anyone, really was a very good break and the atmosphere was superb. Will be going again next year. :thumleft:
Carbotech pads.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Some great photos there :+:

Any more of the Lexus ? Looks like from the one you took they were busy working on the car ..
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Only a few, it was hard to get near the thing.

Carbotech pads.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Wow great write up and pics, looks fantastic, high on my list of things to do next year :D
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Thought I'd bump this up and say...

It's that time of year again.
I'm sorely tempted to trundle off to it but I'm a bit bu88ered with money, how cheap do you think you could do the whole trip if using a tent, cooking your own food, and drinking cheapo p1$$ water beer :thumleft:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”