Sloshing water noise when start car up

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lee H

Sloshing water noise when start car up

Post by Lee H »

After my overheating episode I have changed the radiator and thermostat and bled the coolant system.

However when I start the car now I get a water sloshing noise from the front of me, sounds like its coming from the heater matrix. Is this normal?

Don't know if it used to do it as car overheated 10 miles from me collecting it and the nice RAC man brought me 120 miles home.

Cheers
ligertigon

Re: Sloshing water noise when start car up

Post by ligertigon »

Its air in your matrix.

When you bled the system, was the heater set to "hot".

If so, there may be still some residual air that may leave by itself, or you can bleed the matrix and rad again.

Normalish after a coolant change, but it should disappear either by itself or another burp!
Lee H

Post by Lee H »

Had the heater set to hot and blowers on full.

Think I had best try bleeding it again then as don't want anymore overheating problems.

Cheers
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Jack the Rear of your car up and put it on Axle Stands to make the filler point the highest point on the car just to aid the bubble movement

Or find a steep hill and park down it :thumleft:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

I presume you bled the heater matrix bit as well as the rad bleed point?
Also give the matrix hoses a bit of a squeeze to help circulate the air bubble/air lock there.
coanda

Post by coanda »

I have these gurgling noises every now and then and figured out it must be somthing to do with the coolant system - is this a cause for concern?, the car runs fine, doesn't overheat (although the rad has seen better days...) and the heater is very effective.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”