Recommended / Essential Track Day mods?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CM1GT

Re: Recommended / Essential Track Day mods?

Post by CM1GT »

sweet, thought this was aimed more at bigger cars, think the info originally came from a 911 owners club, i'll be taking a drill to the firewall soon then
mr2_mat
Location: Trackdays in the South and driving around Berkshire

Post by mr2_mat »

I (Me and a mate) finally bought a Mk2 MR2 for a track car!... The happy days start here... hopefully! 8-[
fastgrant74

Post by fastgrant74 »

Sorry to revive this thread, but I have a little question.

I am off to Le Mans for a track day (my first), but have just put new tyres on all round. Am I likely to kill these on a day?

I have Avon ZZ3's on the rear, and Conti Sportcontact 2 on the front, both in 16's, but have a spare set of 15'' wheels too.

If so may get some cheap track tyres instead.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

fastgrant74 wrote:Sorry to revive this thread, but I have a little question.

I am off to Le Mans for a track day (my first), but have just put new tyres on all round. Am I likely to kill these on a day?

I have Avon ZZ3's on the rear, and Conti Sportcontact 2 on the front, both in 16's, but have a spare set of 15'' wheels too.

If so may get some cheap track tyres instead.

No, you shouldn't kill new tyres in one day. So you ought to be fine to do the trackday and drive home legally.

Putting on cheap tyres is a bad idea for a trackday as really if anything you need decent tyres that are nice and progressive not plastic TDF cheapos which will let go without warning.

I raced on the ZZ3s a few years ago, they'll take the abuse okay.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
fastgrant74

Post by fastgrant74 »

Thanks Lauren- need to be able to get back to the boat!

Was thinking some part worn slicks for the day, rather than a set of nankangs!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

fastgrant74 wrote:Thanks Lauren- need to be able to get back to the boat!

Was thinking some part worn slicks for the day, rather than a set of nankangs!

Just use your reasonably decent road tyres.

The trouble with slicks is they'll put the strain on all the other components plus if you do fall off you'll be going faster so a bigger accident is the likely result. Better to stick with what you know, besides there is so much fun in the car moving around.

Also you should never run slicks without a rollcage. Bookatrack for example won't let you out on slicks without a rollcage.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
nicedude1976

Post by nicedude1976 »

Suspension - bushes (most likely if not done before) & shocks, ideally adjustables. Othwerwise you will not enjoy the handling so much.
Get the 4 wheel aligmnent done after the suspension work.

Brakes - just get the good fluid, use standard pads, but make sure the calipers do work (rears often don't).

I would say that's about it, I never wanted to go further.
EDITED: I meant mk1 which which I have had tracking experience.
Last edited by nicedude1976 on Thu May 28, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just want to add that I have been using a CG lock for 18mths or so now and it's positively an improvement. Well worth the £36/37 from DT (don't forget the premium members discount). Granted it won't hold you like buckets and harnesses but it goes a long way at a fraction of the price. Unless it's a track day only car I'd start there before splashing out on expensive kit.
I've also added braided lines but did the upgrade to rev2+ calipers and discs at the same time so can't really say what difference they've made alone other than to say I now have much more confident in braking zones and don't seem to suffer so badly from 'fade'. As has been said good well maintained standard brakes will be fine.
Finally I went for the same suspension as the MR2 challenge cars... Tein springs with Bilstein B6 shocks with TRD topmounts and 15" wheels. Very little body roll and excellent damping again all breeds more confidence which in turn brings speed. Some will say you should go the coilover route for the adjustability but few I speak to ever adjust them (unless they have expensive in car control units) and even then so what? As has been stated you're not after max speed in a competitive settiing just a good handling car to have fun in.

R.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

One thing I'd say about the CGLock: I've been using it for a few weeks now and already there's signs of wear on the seatbelt from it. Not a problem if you're only using it on trackdays but I wouldn't leave it permanently 'On' as eventually an MOT tester will fail you for having frayed belts.

Easy enough to remove (two screws) or just pop the retainer bar off, though :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Mine's been on almost a year and I've no problems to report.
RoadsterBoy

Post by RoadsterBoy »

HighwayStar wrote:Mine's been on almost a year and I've no problems to report.

Much the same for me - the only problem i've got is that it's startnig to mark the plastic trim by the door...

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”