Can not get into gear when engine running help!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nick_rs2k

Can not get into gear when engine running help!

Post by nick_rs2k »

Last night I noticed it was getting difficult to get the car into gear. Then this morning driving to work I found it near impossible to get into gear what I have noticed is when the engine is switched off it goes into gear easily if you then start the car in gear with the clutch down the car is fine until you go to change gear.
I know this sounds like the clutch release plates but when you get the car into gear with the clutch down the car is normal (its not trying to pull away and the clutch Is not at the bight point).
Anyone have any ideas?
the car is 1997 N/A MR2
Hails

Re: Can not get into gear when engine running help!

Post by Hails »

It will be your clutch release bearing. I've had 2 go on me, both same symptoms. :)
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Sounds like clutch slave or master cylinder?
Hails

Post by Hails »

Don't master or slave's just leave the clutch pedal depressed (won't return normally)?

Having never broken one on the mr2 I wouldn't know.

However on the Evo I blew the master and slave and they just leaked all the fluid so the pedal stayed down. Whereas when the release bearing melted to the pressure plate I couldn't get it in gear with the engine running, with the engine off it went in fine (Same syptoms when the work vans bearing also went!)
Joey

Post by Joey »

I had similar symptoms with my Spec Stage 2 clutch it refused to go into gear but if you did get in gear it drove fine. Upon removing the clutch the cause of the problem was quickly revealed, a piece of metal round one of the spring mechanisms had broken off. Spec didn't want to know, and just offered offered me a cut price replacement, needless to say i declined and just fitted a new OEM one instead.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

have you checked you have fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I had this problem and it was a worn clutch
tubby_mr2

Post by tubby_mr2 »

mate had the same thing this weekend gave the clutch a good bleed up and alls good again.
get a piece of tubing and a jar of brake fluid, put one end in the jar and one on the bleed nipple, keep the fluild topped up in the resivoir and crack the bleed nipple off and start pumping.

hope this helps mate :pray:
nick_rs2k

Post by nick_rs2k »

thank you for all your replys. i took it into a garage in the end. it turned out to be the springs in the clutch. one had come out, and most of the others were broken some with little bits missing. but the car got a clutch kit so included the bearing. its amazing how good the clutch feels now!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”