Steam Cleaning engine?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grendel

Steam Cleaning engine?

Post by Grendel »

Can you steam the engine bay on a Mk1?

Since had a slight incident on the way to work with billowing white smoke from the engine bay. Turns out the Oils filler cap had come off and coated the engine in hot oil. I have tried to wipe most of it off with a towel but the stuff on manifold is still happily smoking and the engine is totally covered. ](*,)
mr2mk1chick

Re: Steam Cleaning engine?

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Doh! been there,done that :oops:

yes you can steam clean it, but pop plasic bags over stuff like the alternator. Oil will prob have gone down into the plug channel too, so clean this before removing the plugs to ensure nothing goes into the engine.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

As Jo said above all electrics ie alternator,Dizzy cap,alarm ???,

Also as Jo also said check for oil getting down into the plugs but this area also fills with water when you wash it so make sure your plugs are still in when you do it .

Ive pressure washed mk1 engine's several times over the years and no matter what I did water always got into the plugs area :evil:

For best results cover all your bits up :lol: then give a it a good old soak with Gunk :thumleft: then leave say 5 mins and then blast away if its bad you need to do it several times :whistle:

Chris.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Ok another silly question.
To stop it smoking in the meantime before I get it professionally done could I spray the engine with degreaser and hose it off to get rid of the worst stuff or wound that is a bad idea?

The cleaner I would use would be this:
http://www.muc-off.com/motorcycle/bike_ ... c_off.html

Silly as it sounds should i keep the engine running when i hose it off to prevent water into plugs?

(Edit) Chris you posted while i way still typing :lol:
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Just a thought can you use that Gunk cleaner on paintwork since it's on the engine lid as well?
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

When I blew the cam cover seals on the Guildford Run I used some leftover degreasant from the CD2 Engine Detailer kit I had knocking about.

Spray on, leave for a bit and then rinse off. Did the job fine. Used a roll of kitchen towel to soak the oil out of the plug wells first mind.

Good luck :thumleft:
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Polypedates wrote:When I blew the cam cover seals on the Guildford Run I used some leftover degreasant from the CD2 Engine Detailer kit I had knocking about.

Spray on, leave for a bit and then rinse off. Did the job fine. Used a roll of kitchen towel to soak the oil out of the plug wells first mind.

Good luck :thumleft:

So do you mean roll some onto a sausage shape and shove down the wells after the plugs are out?

Does the smoking engine bay go away eventualy?

Just got e-mail from valeter:

Just for the engine I charge £25 which includes the use of "Gunk".

Please note due to electrics etc in the area we can not accept any responsibility for any damage or faults that may occur during or after the process. However, this is rare.

Not a bad price since it will probably cost me at least £15 in degreaser to start with. I presume just cover alternator, Battery, K&N filter then let them clean away and take plugs out after and dry off??
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

Please note due to electrics etc in the area we can not accept any responsibility for any damage or faults that may occur during or after the process

Personally, with a disclaimer like that i'd do it myself and know every precaution is taken!
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Grendel your only in Southampton

Ive got all the gear and work about 5 miles from Basingstoke. I can come to yours after work tomorrow and clean it all out.

Cup of Tea or a Pint after will do me fine :thumleft:
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Tiny wrote:Grendel your only in Southampton

Ive got all the gear and work about 5 miles from Basingstoke. I can come to yours after work tomorrow and clean it all out.

Cup of Tea or a Pint after will do me fine :thumleft:

Blimy! Thats Sounds fantastic!
Do you need me to Buy any of the Gunk stuff or anything before hand?
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

No not at all I have De greaser and the gear. Gunk is just degreaser but in aerosol form. PM me your contact details and we will sort something out for tomorrow.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Tiny wrote:No not at all I have De greaser and the gear. Gunk is just degreaser but in aerosol form. PM me your contact details and we will sort something out for tomorrow.

PM Sent.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Out of interest how safe if it driving around with the engine smoking?
Will the oil on the manifold eventually just burn off and the smoking become less?
Should I leave the engine lid lifted slightly for the drive home?

Only reason I ask is I’m meant to be picking up the other half from work later tonight.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

well you may attract some attention but as long as you know that you don't have a leak Then wouldn't worry too much.

She will not be impressed though :oldtongue:

Oil on the manifold will eventually burn off but you may still smell it for about a week
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

After my SC burned to the ground i'm wary of anything burning off. oil can catch fire, and it depends on what else catches too.
perhaps get this sorted asap :thumleft:
(just my paranoid reply)
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Not paranoid very valid point Jo. although I think in this case a Liberal covering of oil just poured onto the surface opposed to high pressure finely atomised oil is less likely to combust.

Went to see Mr Grendel last night and was presented with an engine that had had a a Fair old oil bath and had then proceeded to bake onto the hot bits. :thumleft:

Well Set to work No steam cleaner no High pressure washers Just Lots and lots and lots and lots of Auto Glym Engine and Machine cleaner a water based detergent and degreaser, rubber gloves and lots of cloths. Spray on very liberally onto a warm engine and then left for 10 minutes to soak in followed by another drenching and a good stiff brush worked over the surface to loosen any hard caked on dirt on the bay.

engine bay then cleaned off carefully avoiding the alternator and intake and injector parts using a low pressure water pump set to fine mist immediately followed by a towel to dry the area.

Everything started to look right and we moved onto removing the plug cover and were presented with a large pool of oil and degreaser which we mopped up as much as possible before removing the plugs where upon the residual (less than a teaspoon) of oil drained into the cylinder. changed the plugs for new Toyota ones before refitting and testing.

No more smoke it looks fantastic and is running better too as the plugs that were in there were pretty welded in and over 3 years old and looking rather worn at the spark point. Little smoke puff on start up as to be expected with the small amount that drained into the cylinders then clean and running sweet.

One clean and happy Mk1

One happy Grendel. :thumleft:

One Happy Tiny that escaped an evening of housework and desperate housewives \:D/ .
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

\:D/
MANY MANY THANKS!! :mrgreen:

Don't think the the engine bay on the car has ever been cleaned and it came up great :thumleft:

I will post picks of my nice clean engine when i get a chance :lol:

Many Thanks Tiny you did a fantastic job :salut:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I use the AG stuff, its great.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

One clean engine Many Thanks to Tiny:
Tiny