Toyo T1Rs vs Yokohama Paradas

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dylbie

Toyo T1Rs vs Yokohama Paradas

Post by dylbie »

Following a high speed blow out last night i'm about to buy two new rear tyres and these seem to be my options. I already have the T1Rs which are fantastic but wondered if anyone has tried the Yokos yet? Are these the ones designed for the Elise?

Also is there any easy way to operate the toyota jack? It was my first time using it and it seems to need about a thousand turns for about 1cm of height. Not fun in the rain!
mr2mk1chick

Re: Toyo T1Rs vs Yokohama Paradas

Post by mr2mk1chick »

we tried the parada spec II's. they did loads of miles round spa circuit, but did suffer from tyre wall roll, but were pretty progressive.
they are not the tyre on elises, the paradas are a good budget option.
Yok Advan neova (or ?A039) i think were the elise tyres and the neova are loved by those that have tried them.
i haven't udsedd them as i get Toyo R888's cheaper, and i love those

the best way to operate the toyota jack is to hurl it from asafe distance into the bin and buy a decent jack! otherwise, no! Its a real PITA :roll: :wink:
Last edited by mr2mk1chick on Tue May 26, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I fitted a set of Parada’s to the front of my AE86, and think they are a good tire, a lot of grip, and never gave me any concerns even after 20 laps flat out – wear pretty good as well.

Haven’t run T1R’s to compare but a mate rates them over the Parada’s.

Also is there any easy way to operate the toyota jack? It was my first time using it and it seems to need about a thousand turns for about 1cm of height. Not fun in the rain!

Yeah, don’t! They are the worst car jack I have ever come across. For roadside wheel changes get hold of a VW death jack! Very easy to use for a quick wheel swap. A local breakers will probably have one kicking around.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Thankfully I’ve only had to use the jack a couple of times, but those times I’ve cut my knuckles to shreds against the road!

The winding tool that they supply you with is really weak and flimsy! They spent loads of time and money developing the car and bu88er all on a jack!
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

i personally find the parada tyres better than t1-r s.
Nick86

Post by Nick86 »

wouldn't bother with either especially paradas in wet :shock:

eagle F1's or hankook RS2's for me.
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

i rarely give my car beans in the wet anyway... besides... its a summer tyre, which we cant be far off now!

i think eagle f1's are over rated.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Personally I didnt notice any significant difference in grip in the wet with the Paradas - the last trackday it hammered it down and it didnt slow me down, and I didnt struggle for grip.

The toss RE01's on the back were a different matter with the back end trying to pass me slowing for bends.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I used to have Eagle F1s and thought they were brilliant, they went up in price, so I decided to try out the Toyo T1Rs. They have lasted a lot longer all round than the F1s. But unfortunately they are not very good in the wet. I did have some Yoko A539s on my 16s and found these to be very progressive.

Ill be reverting to F1s in the near future!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Nick86 wrote:wouldn't bother with either especially paradas in wet :shock:

eagle F1's or hankook RS2's for me.

F1s though a good road tyre are utterly useless on track and the sidewalls are made of jelly!

And if you have a DC2 the RE010s are amazing, providing you can get hold of some.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

got t1r's on the track car ad my other road car, seem very good for the money as can be had for around £30 plus fitting a tyre in 15"! would recomend going for a high load rating though as my track car has only about 80 or 82 rated tyres and the sidewalls are very soft, the 92's i have on my other car are much better even though its a much heavier car.
4agte on the way
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Have you considered Marangoni's?

They are proven to be considerably quicker than Toyo T1-R's round the track and are competivly priced.

We are in the process of becoming main dealers for Marangoni so drop me a PM if you want further info.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

Can you not just read the sidewall and tell which tyre is best?

ie traction rating etc
Ben

Post by Ben »

Century Motorsport wrote:Have you considered Marangoni's?

They are proven to be considerably quicker than Toyo T1-R's round the track and are competivly priced.

We are in the process of becoming main dealers for Marangoni so drop me a PM if you want further info.

Nathan

These ones?

CLICKY

They look good for the price, not much more than the Toyos. What is their longevity like?
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Must admit I don't rate the Toyo T1Rs, very squeely and terrible when it's damp (IMHO).

I do like the new asymmetric Eagle F1s for the road, haven't yet tried them on Track. The old GSD3 F1s melt like mad on track.
System-G

Post by System-G »

I heard good things about the Marongoni's too, but never tried them.

You also need to remember though that different cars will respond to different tyres differently.

What is good on a MKII will not necessarily be good on a MK1.

The Paradas were OK on the road and track but the soft side walls let them down.

Toyo T1's Goodyear F1's are great on the road, but will melt on a dry track in no time.

If you are serious about the Elise Tyres (front's in 195/50/15) - you'll be looking at the Advan Neovo (LTS), but not cheap at nearly £100/corner.

The Toyo R888's we are finding pretty good on road & track, but wear fairly quickly.

Based on personal experience on a MK1 using roadster alloys for mainly road use (with the occasional track) - you can't go wrong with the Paradas :thumleft:
(I was going to try the Marongoni's next as they came highly recommended from a friend who had them on her SC which was used on road & track, but opted for R888's instead)
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Century Motorsport

benedwards64 wrote:
Century Motorsport wrote:Have you considered Marangoni's?

Nathan

These ones?

CLICKY

They look good for the price, not much more than the Toyos. What is their longevity like?

Yes those would be ideal.

The life on them is pretty good - they are a decently soft compound so aren't going to last as long as a set of nankang's but aren't going to wear out within a couple of thousand miles.

If you go with a set, please write your findings - I guarentee you'll be amazed with their performance.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well there's still plenty of life in my Toyos, and I don't do any track mileage so I don't know how useful any reports would be! I may still try them though when I need some new rubber :-k
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I must admit the T1Rs are very hard wearing! I was told that they'd last only about 10k, but they've done about 20k now! I don't hang around, around corners, but to my amazement all the corners are still intact!

I'd buy T1Rs if I needed a long lasting tyre with mediocre performance!
Century Motorsport

benedwards64 wrote:Well there's still plenty of life in my Toyos, and I don't do any track mileage so I don't know how useful any reports would be! I may still try them though when I need some new rubber :-k

When your in the market for a set, get in touch. :thumleft:

Nathan

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”