Are KYBs really that stiff?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rails

Are KYBs really that stiff?

Post by rails »

Hi folks,

I am in need of changing my shocks but unfortunately have little funds to put out. Can't really justify the costly Koni set so was thinking of buying the KYBs and mate them with my standard springs. After reading the archives, many people have suggested the KYBs were too stiff but then again many of them mated the dampers with lowered springs which probably contributed to the overall stiffness. has anyone used the KYBs with standard springs?
ligertigon

Re: Are KYBs really that stiff?

Post by ligertigon »

I have them with standard springs, and overall the ride is good. It became better when I put 15" wheels on. But sometimes I do feel its a little too hard for the front, especially over rough roads. Overall, a good value upgrade :thumleft:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

can't remember where i head it last, but don't kyb's do 2 types - one pretty hard, and another very hard?

On our old set-up they were a pretty harsh ride, but with lowered springs etc.
Ben

Post by Ben »

mr2mk1chick wrote:can't remember where i head it last, but don't kyb's do 2 types - one pretty hard, and another very hard?

On our old set-up they were a pretty harsh ride, but with lowered springs etc.

That's interesting... can anyone confirm this?

And more to the point, can anyone give any links to where I can get the relevent shocks? I'm looking to upgrade to KYBs with lowering springs, but finding it hard to find somewhere that can confirm whether they are OEM replacements or uprated :?
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
System-G

Post by System-G »

There are two types of shocks listed on some sites - one set are red and the other is black. There is the GR2 and the Excel-G. Although on KYB's own site they only list Excel-G's

It also depends on what springs are used as to the ride quality. Our old setup had PI progessive springs with a 35mm drop and the ride was very, very harsh but then I also had rear shocks modified to fit the front and planned on increasing stiffness at the rear with uber-stiff springs. This never happened as I landed up buying adjustable shocks with another make of spring.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

If you can wait a bit longer and save for the Koni's then i'd do that.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

I replaced the inserts and springs on mine a couple of years ago with KYB's. I bought GR-2 inserts off ebay from America basically because that even with the postage etc they were significantly cheaper than buying them in the UK.
When I stripped the old ones down the inserts that came out were also KYB's and were stamped with the same identification number as the new ones, only difference were the originals were painted orange and the new ones were silver. I have heard that KYB's were what was fitted from new. Perhaps someone can confirm that.
:-k I also replaced my springs with KYB's bought in the UK with a standard ride height. As for handling after I had done all the work there was was very little noticable difference. :?

Alan

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”