[Mk2] [Turbo] CT26A vs CT26

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Warlord

[Mk2] [Turbo] CT26A vs CT26

Post by Warlord »

Hi guys, as you may notice, i am a newbie in this forum and i don't know if there is already a topic about this subject, but i get an error when i try to do a search :?
I'm currently working on a gen2 3S-GTE to later on make a complete swap, taking the 3S-GE out to another project and boosting my deuce. :D A deal as come up on a low mileage and good condition CT26A turbo lifted from a JZA70 supra, my question is: since the CT26A is a single entry, will it be too laggy? Or is it worth it against the CT26B two entry? I also read in some foruns something about swaping the CT26A exhaust housing for the one in the CT26B thus reducing spool time. I'm sure that you guys can explain this to me and make it clear what's the best path for my project! :lol: O:)
Regards and forgive me for my crappy english :lol:
Andytoyota

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] CT26A vs CT26

Post by Andytoyota »

Or you could just go for the ct20b which was on the rev3 onwards, holds boost better than the ct26 and delivers smoother acceleration although i kind of miss the sudden whack of the ct26! There's a ct20b for sale on here I think.

Just noticed actually, i assume the CT26a you've seen is the one which you've posted a reply on in the parts for sale section, in which case I would read the ad again as it's dated Feb 2008 so very much doubt it's still for sale anyway! #-o
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

Thanks for the reply Andytoyota, the turbo i saw is not in this forum, it's from a known friend of mine that was starting a project that later on had to be stopped for economy reasons, and as i am currently looking for a turbo, he's willing to sell it to me for a good price! :thumleft:
I didn't know the CT26A turbo from the supra so that's why i'm asking, i read somewhere in another MR2 forum that it gives 10% more power stock than a regular CT20b and a friend of mine that owns a tubbie told me my best option would be an hybrid CT26.
As i'm new to this whole turbo thing i'm asking the "gurus" from this forum for guidance :pray: :lol:
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

Nobody? :(
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

Ive heard the the turbo from the supra is an improvment over the stock rev1-2 turbo but im not sure about 10% better than the ct20b as everyone with rev1s-2s would be upgrading to them instead of the ct20b surely? Have you looked around at some of the hybrid cb20bs as I think that would be a better option for greater power than a modified supra ct26
"If in doubt, go Flat out"
Ja99a

Post by Ja99a »

Mate done this a few times now don't bother you will notice only a very small differenece with the ct26A the ct20b is better but still only a minor step in terms of performance, I made 272hp hub power with a ct20b on a rev2 stock motor, a ct26a wouldnt get close.

Yes you are also right you have to strip of the exhaust housing on the ct26 for the ct26a, this can be really difficult especially on old units and the compressor needs to be clocked and the oil pipes need to be changed. Also the compressor housing does not fit the actuator properly and is a bodge to get to fit, unless you drill and tap it carefully.

See my webby comparison:

http://www.frickerm.co.uk/Projects/Proj ... index.html

I also have shots of ct26 vs ct26a and ct26a vs ct20b
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

Ja99a thank you very much for the info, what turbo should i be getting then? My goal is to reach something like those 272hp but i wish to be able to keep the boost into high revs. can the ct20b do that? What about hybrid ct26? I heard that they are good aswell. :eye:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Warlord wrote:Ja99a thank you very much for the info, what turbo should i be getting then? My goal is to reach something like those 272hp but i wish to be able to keep the boost into high revs. can the ct20b do that? What about hybrid ct26? I heard that they are good aswell. :eye:

ct20b holds 1.2bar to redline no problem.
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

RobCrezz wrote:ct20b holds 1.2bar to redline no problem.

That's what i needed to hear, because a friend of mine who has a tubbie says that a hybrid CT26 would be better than a CT20b, that's what got me confused in the first place.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Warlord wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:ct20b holds 1.2bar to redline no problem.

That's what i needed to hear, because a friend of mine who has a tubbie says that a hybrid CT26 would be better than a CT20b, that's what got me confused in the first place.

Depends on the hybrid. but the ct20b is a good turbo, with fantastic spool and low lag, great for a road car. A good hybrid might make more power, but I bet it would be a bit less drivable.

A ball bearing turbo is what you want ideally, they really are good. Ive seen the torque/power curves using a Garrett GT28RS, and it looks awesome for a road car.
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

Too bad they're really expensive in portugal ](*,)

Return to “Modifications”