[Mk2] [Turbo] what is honestly better an aftermarket air filter or original airbox

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lee.w

[Mk2] [Turbo] what is honestly better an aftermarket air filter or original airbox

Post by lee.w »

which is better for response and power , it's a rev 1 by the way
mk2too

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] what is honestly better an aftermarket air filter or original airbox

Post by mk2too »

if its an n/a then a airbox by far with an upgraded panel filter, open air filters arent needed on low power cars really, do more harm than good, just alot of noise..
lee.w

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] what is honestly better an aftermarket air filter or original airbox

Post by lee.w »

mk2too wrote:if its an n/a then a airbox by far with an upgraded panel filter, open air filters arent needed on low power cars really, do more harm than good, just alot of noise..

so a cone filter is better used with a turbo , or isn't there much difference
mk2too

Post by mk2too »

well, theres going to be more of a noticeable gain on turbos, but its said that only above 300bhp is the oe airbox really restrictive; thats not to say that gains can't be had below the 300bhp mark with any car.

On n/a's they just make alot of noise and if you could notice the difference on a standard car then i would be surprised, maybe with supporting mods and a remap subtle gains through a cold air induction kit could be realised.
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

i used to have a apexi cone filter on my turbo but all it seemed to do was suck hot air from the engine bay so i removed it & put in an arc air box much better
Marf

Post by Marf »

tarmac terrorist wrote:i used to have a apexi cone filter on my turbo but all it seemed to do was suck hot air from the engine bay so i removed it & put in an arc air box much better

Agreed, since removing my K&N cone and fitting an ARC the car seems less affected by outside temps than before.
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

Marf wrote:
tarmac terrorist wrote:i used to have a apexi cone filter on my turbo but all it seemed to do was suck hot air from the engine bay so i removed it & put in an arc air box much better

Agreed, since removing my K&N cone and fitting an ARC the car seems less affected by outside temps than before.

I used to have a K&N and it used to get hot , so I bought a blitz sonic filter which has the adjustable heat sheild on it and that was better. but for some strange reason i always thought my car went better when it had the original airbox on :-k
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

at lower power levels the filter is pretty much irrelavant (at 300 hp level, you might gain 5hp) just makes noise as mentiond
i have the apexi but it came with the car, would rather have standard box for cooler air
Moo

Post by Moo »

Quigonjay wrote:i have the apexi but it came with the car, would rather have standard box for cooler air

I got a standard rev 3 tubby airbox spare if you want one :wink:
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

ive put my filter further into the vent, much better

Return to “Modifications”