MX5 vs MR2 Turbo and a few other things like Skyline GTR

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

steve b

Re: MX5 vs MR2 Turbo and a few other things like Skyline GTR

Post by steve b »

mr2nut123 wrote:He comes here and takes the rip out of all the tubby owners (and owns one himself) for having 'inferior' cars to the likes of Boxsters and other similar small budget but prestige badged cars and doesn't even understand the basic fundamentals of driving a RWD mid-engined car, and clearly just assumes. Lack of driving technique and confidence is what makes these cars unpredictable..

What on earth has that got to do with anything on this thread?

MK2 MR2's are not great handlers, it shows how much better the chassis on other cars are as you can get away without heel and toeing. If I got it right 100% of the time in the Eunos i'd start doing it 100% of the time. I doubt I'd ever need to pull over for anything on the average trackday again if I became a better driver, the cars so capable (more so now its just gained R888's and de-powered steering so lost more weight).

The MR2 needs it to make any decent progress according to you, "lack of technique making them un-predictable". I wonder if the white turbo on the vid was heel and toeing? I don't know? What I do know he was really really slow in the bends and slow on the straights even with downpipe, intercooler, raised boost etc yet in your world he was in the fastest, best handling car on the planet? :roll:
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
mr2nut123

Re: MX5 vs MR2 Turbo and a few other things like Skyline GTR

Post by mr2nut123 »

steve b wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:He comes here and takes the rip out of all the tubby owners (and owns one himself) for having 'inferior' cars to the likes of Boxsters and other similar small budget but prestige badged cars and doesn't even understand the basic fundamentals of driving a RWD mid-engined car, and clearly just assumes. Lack of driving technique and confidence is what makes these cars unpredictable..

What on earth has that got to do with anything on this thread?

MK2 MR2's are not great handlers, it shows how much better the chassis on other cars are as you can get away without heel and toeing. If I got it right 100% of the time in the Eunos i'd start doing it 100% of the time. I doubt I'd ever need to pull over for anything on the average trackday again if I became a better driver, the cars so capable (more so now its just gained R888's and de-powered steering so lost more weight).

The MR2 needs it to make any decent progress according to you, "lack of technique making them un-predictable". I wonder if the white turbo on the vid was heel and toeing? I don't know? What I do know he was really really slow in the bends and slow on the straights even with downpipe, intercooler, raised boost etc yet in your world he was in the fastest, best handling car on the planet? :roll:

It's nowhere near the fastest car on the planet, I agree. But it gets such a bashing from inexperienced drivers on here and it just becomes a comment that's passed on and on, and i'm glad at last that some members have stepped in and helped my points along, and they're just the members that can be bothered with the hassle :wink:

If any MR2 turbo is 'really really' slow in the bends (in the dry), modded or not, then the driver should get out slowly and walk away..

The MR2 is every bit as capable of performing these days with just a few adjustments to bring it up to date in the handling department such as suspension and just good tyres on the original rims, it just takes more balls and skill to do it which is the exact reason why after driving most other jap performance out there, i've stuck with the tubby. It's a drivers car, which doesn't always mean it's the fastest out there....but when a car's as exciting as the MR2, who cares? To heel and toe and balance a car is part of the experience, who wants to point and turn? Get on a rollercoaster if that's your thing.

Sure, the MXs, Supras, 200SXs etc. are great balanced cars, there's no doubt and after driving most of them, like any jap performance car I was impressed, but it just didn't have the noise behind head, the awesome off the line grip and looks to go.

Return to “Driving Experiences”