[Mk2] [Generic] New Alpine 9880R, but what to do about rear speaker bass distortion.

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev3gtturbo

[Mk2] [Generic] New Alpine 9880R, but what to do about rear speaker bass distortion.

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Hi

I have recently replaced a broken head unit with an Alpine CDE-9880R and I am having problems with the lack of bass that can be handled by the rear speakers.

Installer said the rear speakers are pretty weak and set up the fader to be biased to the front. i.e. F4 on a scale of R15 to F15.
The other setting are all centred.

The sound is lacking bass compared with how my fave music (dance/trance/house) usually sounds. Same with the radio sound.

If I set the bass up (+1 or +2 on a scale of -7 to +7) for a sensible volume level while parked, then when I turn the volume up a bit for town driving I hear distortion from the driver side rear speaker and have to turn the volume down or reduce the bass setting again or both.
The lack of bass tolerance from the rear speakers is worse as the volume is turned up for motorway driving.

The volume scale goes from 1 to 35, and I use 6 - 10 around town and about 15 on motorways. If I had it on max I will probably blow the rear speakers if I didnt go deaf first lol

My car is rev 3 GT turbo. It has one storage box behind the driver seat. The passenger side is at the same height as the driver side storage box and carpetted the same way but it looks like Toyota never fitted it with a lid.

The Alpine 9880R installer suggested it would sound a lot better with 6.5" speakers in the storage boxes behind the seats and not using the rear speakers at all. The subs would have mesh covers so I can still put the tbars behind the seats. I have searched the forum and not seen this setup - has anyone done something similar?

I might go along with the Alpine installers suggestion, but I have just thought that I do sometimes put stuff behind the seats on top of the storage boxes which will affect the sound from any speakers in the storage boxs. Maybe thats why Toyota mounted the rear speakers high up? Although didnt Toyota also do some cars with subs as well?

Anyway, I would appreciate your ideas on how to get the bass sounding right. I want the bass to blend in with the overall sound.

cheers
Matt_Cooper

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] New Alpine 9880R, but what to do about rear speaker bass distortion.

Post by Matt_Cooper »

The standard speakers are nothing more than crap to be honest mate.

Judging by your description i would say you are running the passive system, therefore you wont have any of the standard fit subs, which is why you are lacking in bass.

My advice would be to buy some 6.5" components and put them in the front doors. Run them off a small 2 channel amp and see what you think.

The guy that installed your head unit is correct in a way, however, i dont recommend fitting speakers in the rear of a car with sucha small cabin. They simply arent needed and wont do you any favours in terms of sound stage. I only ever use rear speakers for a bit of rear fill, which can sound very good, but not in an MR2!

While installing the front speakers it is a good idea to sound deaden the doors. This will help the woofers to priduce a warmer sound and more a kick.

If you still find that this is not enough, then an 8" subwoofer behind the seat would be the next step. However, you will probably find that the amped up components will more than cope with your demands.

Here's what i suggest if you are on a limited budget...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gto ... 7r00alqd32

Power those JBL's with this little Fli amp (granted not the best, but they do give out their rated power) and you'll be booming for just over 100 quid!

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /4567.html

This sound deadening will also help you on the quest for more bass without subs...

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /3053.html
rev3gtturbo

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] New Alpine 9880R, but what to do about rear speaker bass distortion.

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Thanks for the quick reply Matt.

Before I change anything else its going back to the installer to sort out the radio reception.

Return to “ICE and Security”