Diagram/Instructions for electric aerial assembly

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Fog on the tyne

Diagram/Instructions for electric aerial assembly

Post by Fog on the tyne »

Morning all,
I have a problem with my electric aerial on my new mk1. When I got the car, the aerial was up - the guy I got it off said "it works - but when it wants to" and the electrical connector was disconnected. I've connected it this morning and the aerial motor is working (so not the relay etc) and I can hear the motor working both when turning the radio on then off. I want to take it apart to see if there's anything obvious. Does anyone have an instruction guide on how to disassemble/reassemble????
Help/thoughts appreciated
Cheers
Jason
LimeyMk1

Re: Diagram/Instructions for electric aerial assembly

Post by LimeyMk1 »

So the motor's running but the aerial's not retracting? Sounds like the gears are stripped. :-k

You can get a fresh electric aerial from Maplins for £30 I believe. :thumleft:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Either Gears or the retraction cable has snapped internally

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... &U=strat15

£25 from maplin.

Jimi write up for changing the Ariel with pin connections :thumleft:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/V ... erial.html
Fog on the tyne

Cheers for the tips - sounds like the gears then rather than the cable being snapped. I will take a trip to Maplins and give myself some bank holiday weekend fun!! (will take the original to bits too...just for fun especially if the rain comes)

Thanks
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

i am the same position as you. just got a mk1 and the eleccy aerial doesnt work but i could hear the motor trying to work.

i just spent the afternoon trying to fix mine.

in my case the cable which pushes the aerial up and pulls it down was in tact and all the gears were fine. the whole thing however was a bit sticky.

the aerial was a bit rusty and sticky as was the internal gear mechanism and rotating switch thingy.

i spent a while greasing it all up and making sure it was all sweet. i disconnected the main gear to test it was all smooth and after a while the whole thing was all smooth and moved lovely.

when you have it apart you can turn the mechanism on and off manually so its easy to test without having to turn the radio on and off al the time.

when i put it all back together it would move the antenna out very very slowly. i am of the opnion, in my case anyway, that due to the antenna corroding and geting stuck, the motor had been under load every time the radio is swithed on an therefore the motor has failed. all the mechanism was working fine but the motor just didnt have the juice.

so i gave up and put bought one of the those plain plastic jobs....
Fog on the tyne

Done exactly as sloopeh did..rusty as hell inside, but cleaned it all up and gave it grease/oil - the barrel/case for the cable to go back into when down is so rusty it fouls every time. Off to Maplins now so can get finished before lunchtime!!
sloopeh

Post by sloopeh »

fyi i have tried to source a replacement motor and failed so I will be seeing you in maplins.... :eye:
Fog on the tyne

Yip...all sorted my end. Aerial fitted, a nice tidy wiring job - and all working perfectly. One of the great benefits of a friendly owners club community!!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”