Any sprayers in the house?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KoLaBoTTle

Any sprayers in the house?

Post by KoLaBoTTle »

Just a couple of questions regarding a respray :mrgreen:

If I was to buy enough paint to respray the whole car, what price would I be looking at or how many litres would be needed (assuming I stay super red II)?

What else would I need laquer wise?

Basically a rough price if I was to attempt any spraying myself
Been quoted £1800 + VAT by a toyota recommended garage

(Fed up of looking at pink bits lol)

Cheers :thumleft:
nikaiyo

Re: Any sprayers in the house?

Post by nikaiyo »

Hello mate

Tiny (user name on here) might be able to sort out your paintwork for a fraction of that price, if you are just trying to get rid of the pinkness :thumleft:

Just to clarify, he does not paint, but has all maner of polishes and resins and stuff that really really make a difference.
KoLaBoTTle

Post by KoLaBoTTle »

Already looked into detailing, but if I use the price of say £200 for detail

My front bumper needs respraying so £200-300 for that, that'd be £500 straight off and the bit at the top of windscreen before the t bars is beyond help I think lol.

It comes up really nice with some resin polish but doing it every few months is starting to get annoying :( . And theres those little bits that really annoy me that only I notice too, respray would fix them instantly lol
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

Hi mate, my car had a respray before I got her and she looks beautiful (the owner was an actual spray painter). However, every resprayed car I've seen is never as good as a factory sprayed car. Theres always some bit that you're not happy with or a part that you start to notice a few months down the line. I'd try the polishing route first, especially with an electric one, apparently they really do work.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Some of the stuff Tiny uses is way way way better than "resin polish" its designed for Airdraft and stuff, I have seen his black MK1 go from a swirly grey thing to, well Black.

Just a thought.

£1800 does not seem a stupid price to spray an entire car, but I recon you could get it done cheaper, a place close to me will do a colour change on an MR2 for £1500 in VAT. A lot depends on where you are in the country and how many bodyshops there are in the area :thumleft:
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Thing is you have to be careful when it comes to getting paint work done – you could pay £1800 and get a great job or equally get one that’s complete ass. Equally you could pay £4000 and still be in the same situation.

IMHO £1800 is cheap and if that’s through a main dealer then they will be getting a cut on top and farming the work out.

If you have the time, space and inclination to do it then spraying your own car would be a great option. If you get it wrong first time around, well you have the tools to do it again. Paints and associated consumables will be readily available from your local panel / paint shop and you can buy a good sized compressor, paint gun, and mask from Machine Mart.

Some much info on the net to tell you what to do.

I am going to spray my car myself when I have enough money for a decent compressor. I can get great result with spray cans, and IMHO the hardest part to painting is just getting the paint onto the panel – once you get the action its simple. The rest is just prep.

A mate sprayed his car a while back, he used t paint for a living but did it all outside in a gazebo in winter! Looks brilliant!
Rev 3 Kris

Post by Rev 3 Kris »

the going price round here for a full respray (not including door jams) is about £1000 to £1700 but its hitty missy about some places work
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

KoLaBoTTle wrote:Just a couple of questions regarding a respray :mrgreen:

If I was to buy enough paint to respray the whole car, what price would I be looking at or how many litres would be needed (assuming I stay super red II)?

What else would I need laquer wise?

Basically a rough price if I was to attempt any spraying myself
Been quoted £1800 + VAT by a toyota recommended garage

(Fed up of looking at pink bits lol)

Cheers :thumleft:

if you was to buy the paint yourself for a full respray you would need 3 litres of basecoat plus thinners. for cost reasons it would be cheaper to buy a gallon of laquer which would come with hardenor. now the cost of this all depends on the quality desired and longevity . the basecoat can range from £100 up to £300 . the laquer can range from £50 up to £380 there are lots of considerations to take on board though ! where would you spray it ? what type of conditions ? would it be oven baked etc has the car had previous paintwork ? your most likely gonna need a primer unless the cars bodywork and finish are in good condition. do you have access to a bodyshop spray booth ?
KoLaBoTTle

Post by KoLaBoTTle »

I'd happily have the bumper sorted and detailed but theres stone chips down both front wings which annoy me, headlight covers and bonnet have some too

Rear drivers side has 2, no idea how you get them there but still.. and my spoiler has 2 in it, then theres the top half is diff colour to the bottom half. These are the little things that only I notice but they really annoy me lol

Kind of thing you really need to see their handywork before letting them loose on your car I guess :-k

Would around £400 be plenty to budget for doing it myself? I know you need diff paint for the plastics etc and lil bits n bobs would probabaly add up but in all honesty i've never looked into it

Coming up to 2 years ownership so kind of convincing myself that a respray could be our 2 year anniversary present :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

where would you be doing this work ? do you have access to paint premises or is this at home in the garage operation ?
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Have you done spraying before?
You will never get near the level of factory painting, there conditions are far better than 90% of NORMAL spray shops.
What colour is your car?
If it was detailed properly using the right products it would stay looking fresh for months. It's all about the prep as I am sure Tiny will tell you.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
KoLaBoTTle

Post by KoLaBoTTle »

Would be a home job lol

She's red, but you can see that the top half and bottom half of the doors are diff colours if you really look (I can anyway)

Been givin a much better quote from a porsche recommended garage. Time to save up methinks 8)
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Exactly it is 95% prep wax and glazes are only the last 5%. Super resin polish is Good but it doesnt really do anything for pink paint work as the fillers are what give it its red colour as they glaze over the surface as that is slowly washed off it goes back to pink.

What you need to do is cut down with a harsh abrasive compounding polish to fresh red paint beneath. Then that will stay red for years after that. It does help if you spend a fair amount of money on wax to maximise the protection afterwords something like a colour charged red wax with UV protection to slow the process. Unfortunately your never going to be able to stop a car going back to pink you can only slow the process by garaging when not in use and using a good quality wax with a uv content.

Red is a great colour on Mr2s as its so easy to bring back.

I got bored at my mates house and had to proove to him that his red mk1 was not Beyond saved him a fortune on having a respray and when the 1.5 conversion is complete ill be straight round to do the rest.

:thumleft:
KoLaBoTTle

Post by KoLaBoTTle »

Angle doesn't help but you can see the different shades of red down the side and obviously the crap front bumper :(

The bootlid is also a different shade of red to the car, cars more orange for some reason. And all the stone chips, especially towards the rear really annoy me

Can see the point behind detailing it but for the extra money to have it looking showroom fresh is worth it imo 8-[
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Showroom Fresh and 10% of the cost :thumleft:
KoLaBoTTle

Post by KoLaBoTTle »

How do you cover the stone chips so they look like they were never there? :-k
fen666

Post by fen666 »

Just did mine, full respray but not door shuts £150

2k max meyer straight colour ... not clear over base

Car had various panels painted so slightly different shades hence no primer needed, though I did give the whole car a light 2k etch after flatting to be on the safe side
I did mine in my garage at home, you just have to be careful of any airborne dust etc
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

KoLaBoTTle wrote:How do you cover the stone chips so they look like they were never there? :-k

fill them with touch up paint and go +1-2mm over the level of the rest of the paint 2400 wet and dry and some fairy liquid then a harsh compound and light cut and finisher takes the paint back to like it was never there. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”