My F355 replica *new tailpipes*

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiny

Re: My F355 replica *new tailpipes*

Post by Tiny »

The engines are both the same size just one weighs more than the other

1mz-fe has an aluminium engine block and aluminium alloy DOHC cylinder heads. with cast iron cylinder liners

3vz-fe is cast iron block but has a larger forged steel crankshaft and large cast rods

It does look good and the wheels do fit well and suit the look of the car. I have one criticism though In it REALLY need a a good polish as that pic you posted of the new shine wheels has shown just how dull, flat and Swirled the paint work is.
JimmyTheKosh

Post by JimmyTheKosh »

Im gonna be re spraying it as soon as a friend of a friend can let me use his spray booth for a weekend, just waiting till hes a bit quiet. The bonnet needs doing, plus where the rear window pillars join the roof, its starting to show a hairline crack, so im just gonna do the whole car, i was going to do it red again, but my girlfriend recons i should do it white, maybe so id get less attention lol. Anyway i cant bloody make my mind up now, what do you recon to white??

marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

if your gonna colour change to white , then your gonna have to seal the whole car in a white primer . white on top of red will cause problems ! trust me , i speak through experience :thumleft:
JimmyTheKosh

Post by JimmyTheKosh »

Ive been spraying for years mate, i found out the hard way about primers a long time ago lol.
Im gonna be taking the whole car back to bare fiberglass and start from scratch whatever colour i decide on, its not totaly nessesary but just something i want to do.
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

:thumleft:
Igor

Post by Igor »

stick with red mate. corso rosso (or whatever its called)

if you going to have a ferrari, its got to be red :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

gotta be red..
i never liked the ferrari kitted mr2's but yours has really made them grow on me especially with the new zorst.. leave it red and fit the v6 and it will be lovely
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Personally Ferrari I would go Black or Daytona blue.

Just make sure you put it on Thick 4-500 microns as Ferrari paint is Really thick and the only way to get the level of gloss and depth of shine is to spend about 2 days solid polishing it.

Give me a shout when you have it sprayed and ill work my magic on it.

before
after

marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

ferrari use hs laquer , thats why its so thick.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The wheels would be ok on another car but they are clearly Jap style wheels and look wrong on a Ferarri look alike.

If I were you I'd ask Ben (tiny) to just polish your current paint before spending time and money on a respray. He's quite good, especially on pink cars.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

marc GT Turbo wrote:ferrari use hs laquer , thats why its so thick.

Yeah but have you seen how much HS Laquer is
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

yeah ! i pay £139.99 for a gallon :shock: and thats at a trade price and with extra discount.
JimmyTheKosh

Post by JimmyTheKosh »

Tiny wrote:Personally Ferrari I would go Black or Daytona blue.

Just make sure you put it on Thick 4-500 microns as Ferrari paint is Really thick and the only way to get the level of gloss and depth of shine is to spend about 2 days solid polishing it.

Give me a shout when you have it sprayed and ill work my magic on it.

before
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254 ... 0_1956.jpg
after
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254 ... 0_1963.jpg

Damn thats shiny!! looks better than a brand new car
JimmyTheKosh

Post by JimmyTheKosh »

marc GT Turbo wrote:yeah ! i pay £139.99 for a gallon :shock: and thats at a trade price and with extra discount.

I paid Just over £90 for 5L of HS about a year ago, Loved the finish you get from it, was going to go back to the same supplier this time but after a bit of shopping about yesterday, i found 5L of HS scratch resistant lacquer + 2.5L hardener for £85 inc postage
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

can i make a suggestion that you dont go for Red then. As unless its going to spend most of its life garaged and waxed with a good uv protective content wax it will fade under the lacquer.

Go black or Daytona Blue.
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

JimmyTheKosh wrote:
marc GT Turbo wrote:yeah ! i pay £139.99 for a gallon :shock: and thats at a trade price and with extra discount.

I paid Just over £90 for 5L of HS about a year ago, Loved the finish you get from it, was going to go back to the same supplier this time but after a bit of shopping about yesterday, i found 5L of HS scratch resistant lacquer + 2.5L hardener for £85 inc postage

dont get me wrong there are hs laquers cheaper than what i pay but i have to use top quality materials in the paint shop as i guarantee my work. as you will know , you get what you pay for in the paint trade :thumleft:
i know upol do a hs laquer for around £50 , sherman williams also do one for £65 octoral do one for £60 which is very good for a cheaper laquer . you can achieve a great finish still with the cheaper hs laquers but they are not as resilient over a period of time . i would be interested to know what brand of laquer you get ?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

JimmyTheKosh wrote:Cheers mate, Im still hunting for a set of new wheels but cant for the life of me find the ones i want, at a price i want to pay ](*,)

These are the ones im after

They're Antera 309's arent they?
JimmyTheKosh

Post by JimmyTheKosh »

marc GT Turbo wrote:
JimmyTheKosh wrote:

dont get me wrong there are hs laquers cheaper than what i pay but i have to use top quality materials in the paint shop as i guarantee my work. as you will know , you get what you pay for in the paint trade :thumleft:
i know upol do a hs laquer for around £50 , sherman williams also do one for £65 octoral do one for £60 which is very good for a cheaper laquer . you can achieve a great finish still with the cheaper hs laquers but they are not as resilient over a period of time . i would be interested to know what brand of laquer you get ?

The one i was looking at yesterday with the hardener is Mipa, Its not the same brand i used before, so i dont know much about it, if i cant find any reviews on it, ill spend a bit more. Cheers for the advice mate
JimmyTheKosh

Post by JimmyTheKosh »

Rogue wrote:
JimmyTheKosh wrote:Cheers mate, Im still hunting for a set of new wheels but cant for the life of me find the ones i want, at a price i want to pay ](*,)

These are the ones im after

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww25 ... 355_PF.jpg

They're Antera 309's arent they?

You could be right, just comparing them now, i think maybe theres more of a curve in the spokes where they meet the rims on the Antera's, but definately the closest match ive seen, so now im on a hunt for a set of Antera 309's, cheers mate :thumleft:
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

JimmyTheKosh wrote:
marc GT Turbo wrote:
JimmyTheKosh wrote:

The one i was looking at yesterday with the hardener is Mipa, Its not the same brand i used before, so i dont know much about it, if i cant find any reviews on it, ill spend a bit more. Cheers for the advice mate

mipa isnt bad at all but ! doesnt stand up and stay fresh looking for long . if you can get octoral HS , its around the same money as mipa but its twice as good :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”