[Mk2] [Turbo] do I need to buy a boost controller before I have a turbo back system fitted

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lee.w

[Mk2] [Turbo] do I need to buy a boost controller before I have a turbo back system fitted

Post by lee.w »

I heard that when you fit a de cat/downpipe , there's an increase in boost pressure , which could cause overboosting , so do you need a boost controller to basically set the level right again. or will it be safe to run the turbo back system anyway without a boost controller. :?
mr2rev3

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] do I need to buy a boost controller before I have a turbo back system fitted

Post by mr2rev3 »

a boost controller cant turn the boost down like that, can only raise it, if you wanted to fit anything, you would need a restrictor ring in the exhaust so you dont see boost creep.
lee.w

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] do I need to buy a boost controller before I have a turbo back system fitted

Post by lee.w »

so is it safe to run then without a boost controller :-k
mr2rev3

Post by mr2rev3 »

yes as the boost controller wouldnt be able to help the situation atall
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

mr2rev3 wrote:yes as the boost controller wouldnt be able to help the situation atall

It was just that i read a post on another mr2 forum where someone was going to fit a downpipe and some guy's response was that you could end up overbooosting and bang there goes your engine in those words :shock: .

the boost increase isn't that much is it
mr2rev3

Post by mr2rev3 »

i ran my last turbo with a decat etc and was fine, it will most likely raise the boost abit but cant see it being much, is just the same as people raising the boost, what rev do you have?
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

Rev 1
thebody

Post by thebody »

Jesus stop scaring the guy to death dont post if u aint clued up.
By fitting a aftermarket downpipe and exhaust ur boost pressure will increase slightly.
With a 3 inch diameter downpipe and exhaust and no big engine mods you aint gunna get boost creep :roll:
You have a inbuilt FCD so you aint gunna go out and hit 2 bar over night :lol:
The only danger with cheap downpipes is the wastegate catching on the downpipe flange dont buy a cheap one and ur be ok
lee.w

Post by lee.w »

thebody wrote:
The only danger with cheap downpipes is the wastegate catching on the downpipe flange dont buy a cheap one and ur be ok

:whistle: #-o
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Fuel cut will save you on a rev1 before anything bad happens with the mods you describe. You may want to consider an uprated intercooler in the future if you are going to turn the boost up. Best bet though is start saving for a rev3+ rather than spending loads on a rev1.
If you search you will see loads of talk about tuning and what is safe.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
Marf

Post by Marf »

mr2rev3 wrote:a boost controller cant turn the boost down like that,

Yes it can, when you run a boost controller you can set the boost to the level determined by the spring fitted in the actuator, usually around 7psi on a standard turbo.

Return to “Modifications”