[Mk2] [Generic] Odd steering problem, possably worn rubbers? need some help please!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

[Mk2] [Generic] Odd steering problem, possably worn rubbers? need some help please!

Post by RyanRs »

I have an odd happening when i come on / off the throttle, the car almost feels like it twists slightly to the right when going on throttle and twists back when you come off.

Im not sure on the way the front underbody is setup on an mr2, but if it has a subframe, i would say it feels like the subframe bolts are slightly loose.

I got the car tracked on one of them Top notch Hawk eye digital trackers yesterday, the toe was quite a bit out, and upon sorting it, the drive has been greatly improved. It holds a straight line, steering feels nice and tight, however the 'twist' sensation is still very slightly there.

To try and explain a bit better what is going on, say im off throttle, steering dead straight, then go on the throttle, the 'steering wheel center/Straight' position feels like it moves a couple of degrees anti clockwise, and returns to normal when lift off the throttle.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

the front lower arm bushings do look like the ones from factory -15 years old possibly, and i wonder if they could have possibly become spongy and allow movement when accelerating / decelerating? Other than that, the only other thing i can think of is if the steering has play in it somewhere? If i drive down a straight flat road and give it some sharp left ~ right steering, (like race cars when warming up tyres) it doesn't seem to respond as well as i would imagine it should..

The suspension im using is tien flex. And the hawkeye tracker has calibrated my steering geo to suit the custom ride height. The printout shows that all wheels are now calibrated spot on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ryan
TheRoadWarrior

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Odd steering problem, possably worn rubbers? need some help please!

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Could be lower ball joints, arb droplinks, inner or outer steering rack ends or possibly bushes- but from what you've described it sounds more like one of those first things. Maybe also a worn steering rack. It should be reasonably easy for a garage to find, sounds like whatever it is is pretty far gone!
Extubby

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Odd steering problem, possably worn rubbers? need some help please!

Post by Extubby »

Mine does exactly the same. Boot it on the motorway and it pulls to the right, lift off and it goes off to the left.
It can't be anything to do with anti roll bars. Must be ball joints, bushes related.
I got a set of poly bushes on the way so hope this solves it. Will post back up.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

yes yes!! please report back when there fitted!!

i too dont believe it to be the ARB's.

and its certainly not the tracking as like i said, its all been Hawkeye'd! having the tracking done did seriously improve it tho, its only just noticeable now but it is still there. it does like lift up and pull to the right very slightly.

must be play in a bushing or ball joint. i think ill fit some polybushes too just for the heck of it, can only be a good thing.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

topmounts?
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

My top mounts have minial play. Luke gave them the thumbs up last saturday.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

I got tein flex suspension front and back mate, only done abuot 500 miles. front are adj and rear are pillowball. all solid!

Return to “Mechanical”