Turbo engine in a n/a

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_deano

Turbo engine in a n/a

Post by mr2_deano »

my car may soon be going to 3s to have a full turbo rev3 conversion

when i get the car back what are the main things that are going to need to be changed ie brakes etc

or can i just run the car straight out of the garage with no hidden extra needed

cheers
:thumleft:
SFLee

Re: Turbo engine in a n/a

Post by SFLee »

i say tyres :mrgreen:

brake is same i think

also driving habits :P

possible suspension,
Babboon

Post by Babboon »

Not really anything you would HAVE to do as the were little in the way of differences between the turbo and na version of the car (ie ran same suspension, brakes, etc)

On any car you would be advised to at least check the suspension & brakes, wheel alignment to make sure the are ok. I would deffo think about replacing the brakes for the bigger rev2 onwards sets if you've got a rev 1.

Spending some money on improving the standard suspension set up is a worthwhile investment unless you already have done it. A nice set of yellow billies with some eibach pro-kit springs and TRD top mounts is a popular choice, and if you add ploy bushes and new anti roll bars it would transform the handling of the car to match the new performance you have.

The difference between an na and turbo in power is quite a lot so careful with that heavy right foot, try to drive smoothly and turn that boost down in the rain.

Ask James if your unsure of anything or want some advice

:thumleft:
mr2_deano

Post by mr2_deano »

cheers for the replys guys

well i have 500/600 to play with after conversion so im thinking a few lil engines toys,i have tein springs and strut braces,d2's are lil pricey for me right now lol,
also im thinking of new drilled and grooved disks with green stuff pads with new brake fluid etc.
new tyres are a defo with allingment
is a ebc or mbc nessecary...?
what bhp is achievable with standard turbo and internals etc

cheers
steve
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

an mbc would only be needed to increase boost, the standard rev3 was 240bhp so you should have around that figure too start. a healthy rev3 with bolt ons can be 300bhp read the articles in the knowledge base for futher info and advice on that
"If in doubt, go Flat out"

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”