hello everyone!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bubbles-ducks

hello everyone!!

Post by bubbles-ducks »

Hello everyone, :D

I am a new member, and YES!!... I just brought myself a Black MR2 Mk1 on last Saturday (21/03/2009), I managed drove back, but it won’t start on Monday for it MOT. In the end, I had to tow it to my local garage for fixing. Damn!! #-o

In general; Bodywork is very good and solid, but needs welding on both sills, that about it (not bad for a 23yrs old car).

Oh, just found out today; the alternator is now only produces 8 volts!? So tmr sending for testing!!

*Finger cross; hopefully everything fixed and ok on MOT, so I can start driving it before the summer time!! :mrgreen:

bubbles-ducks
CazAW11

Re: hello everyone!!

Post by CazAW11 »

Hey, fingers crossed for you and the new purchase!

Sounds like the alternator would have been the problem then. Might be worth getting a new battery in too. If it has been drained on several occasions prior to ownership with the same problem, it'll be reaching the end of its life.

That's just my very uneducated opinion though. Good luck!
System-G

Post by System-G »

Hi & welcome to the forums :thumleft:

It does sound like the altenator is the cause. To get it refurbished should only take a day or two and no more than £30. Not sure how much already refurbished altenators cost, but I'm sure your garage can handle that for you with all related surcharges and exchanging of units etc...

Where did you buy the car from? Not many black ones about.
Is it an original black car or has it been resprayed?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

welcome aboard :clap:
bubbles-ducks

Post by bubbles-ducks »

I bought the car from a guy, who actually only live 5 mins walk from my house!! Funny thing is the car been sat on car park for almost a year, and I never aware of it!! :shock:

It is rare to see a Black MR2 Mk1, never mind actually owning one!!

Did anyone know how many Black Mk1 was manufactured?

According to the Service Record Book; It is an original black car, which stated - Toyota color code: 204 (Black - i thk?). So, it's not color change jobby, which makes me very happy!! :mrgreen:

As I said before, the bodywork is very good and solid, but I think it had a resprayed at some stages in it life, bse there are no rust under on both rear arches!! (Which is great & I am not complaining, bse is saving me $$$$…)

Oh, the MOT….
Failed on number of small things; eg, 1x head light, 1x side repeater bulb!! but the major one are both sills, which needed welding (As expected). Also both of the rear brakes are knackered, and that about it really!!
No problem under car, very solid… a great credit to previous owners!!

Oh, the alternator now fixed, so battery is charging. Welding this weekend, so in theory… the car should be on the road before Easter!! Yeah!!

:thumleft:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Im not sure on numbers but Black mk1b's are uber rare this was a GBP 1600 Option :shock: :shock: :shock: But mk1a's were available in black also but at a vastly cheaper option,
As far as I know there is less than 20 mk1b cars in black on the road in the uk, Which is a tiny amount when you consider the UK was Toyota's second biggets market for the mk1 in the world (bigger than the US) :mrgreen: Second only to Japan :thumleft:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

Oooops!

I told him it was a rare one - it was pretty solid too....
bubbles-ducks

Post by bubbles-ducks »

haha :mrgreen:
tht is a cool photo!!
Mav122

Post by Mav122 »

Now that is a crafty way of doing brake/suspension work :mrgreen:, wish i'd thought of that, chuck it on a crane \:D/
bubbles-ducks

Post by bubbles-ducks »

At last… the CAR is now at home, returned from garage and all repairs done (inc welding).

Finally, i can drive my car. Since i bought the car without test drive (not recommend!!), not even knowing if 5th gear is ok or not, but praise GOD is ok.
Anyway, guess what? at the MOT station for some unknown reason the one of the fuse was playing up, so the headlight did winking!! haha, So funny I even video it, and put it on to YouTube!! :D

MOT repairs;

Apart from the welding, other major job was just a replacing the N.S.R suspension mount, which I got from the last owner, but unfortunately is (mk1 b) so won’t fit… arrrr… what a nightmare, bse the car was on the ramp in mid air, but no parts!! #-o Don’t worries, it sorted… :thumleft:

Anyway, now I got a spare set of rear suspension mounts (mk1 b), bse it won’t fit onto my (mk1 a)… so if anyone needed a set, u know where to find me... (do let me know asap)... if not I going to put on ebay later.

Over the rainy Easter Holiday; my mate and I managed did a bit tuning (air & throttle setting) and few upgrades.
eg. TOM’s Racing Leather steering wheel, K&N air filter, OZ alloys… and most of all; a brand new set of Car Alarm System yesterday!! Follow by a quick Oil change from myself!!

Now the car run smooth (after 400+ miles town driving)*, but will find out what really like drive long distances, bse I off to Birmingham this wkend… so guys; u may spotted me in a Black Mk1a. :mrgreen:

* Btw, why no-one tell me the steering is so heavy at low speed!! :shock:
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

* Btw, why no-one tell me the steering is so heavy at low speed!!

You gotta be a kidding!!!! Are you Italian btw? :)
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

I think i can be classed as abit of an authority on the Black Mk1 beasty after doing some research and DVLA maniulating and generally making a nuisance of myself to Toyota.

Black was a base colour in Mk1a's and freely available but So many were crashed there are VERY few left. 1A's I do not know about numbers.

The 1B is where it gets Exciting If you wanted Black for a 1B then it was a £1600+ Option (due to being a special order from Japan) In 1986-7 That was ALOT of wedge in 12% interest rate Thatcher Britain. So there were only 35 Tbars and 20 Sunroof Models sold in black.

Today According to the DVLA there are 7 Tbars Taxed insured and on the road There are another 6 sorn the rest are gone. There are 5 Sunroof Taxed, Tested, Insured and on the road and a further 3 SORN.

Scary as I Own one of Each. :shock:
flashajd

Post by flashajd »

If they're that that rare thought I'd mention I passed a black t bar in mint condition on the M4 on Friday (17/4/09) reg D880NNY. It was gorgeous and I want it. Didn't know how special it was!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”