Money no object what power could you get from a 3SGTE MR2?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lewis Jay

Money no object what power could you get from a 3SGTE MR2?

Post by Lewis Jay »

Well thought I`d ask the first question.

The biggest power I have seen is the 743BHP MR2 in max power feature a few years ago.

http://s3.invisionfree.com/homiehookups ... topic=2189

What parts would you use?
jmachling

Re: Money no object what power could you get from a 3SGTE MR2?

Post by jmachling »

Please note - only input from the original poster and the Gurus is permitted in this forum:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115843
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Well we are already making 751 @ wheels on our 3s-gte.

I have seen a dyno sheet for a 1023hp 3s-gte motor and I believe HUX racing have just dyno'd their methanol motor at over 1000hp.

If money were no object then the sky would be the limit. Nitro methane could be used along with rotary heads, the works. And the result would be in excess of 1500+ hp at a concervative guess.

How long would it last? Not long!

Regards,

Nathan

***EDIT***
just read the link you posted - if the information is correct then there is no way that car is running 743hp on 850cc injectors - we maxed out 1200cc injectors and ran a 50shot nos to get 750 @ wheels.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Hi,

Good observation from Trickster, if money no object buy a Veyron, as it is tune your car--lol

But, as this is just a bit of fun you could get 1000bhp+ out of your 3S, just as the F1 guys got 1500bhp out of a 1.5 litre engine back in the 80's, the BMW of the time started life as a road car engine, the tale goes that engineers would urinate on the block and it was left outside for months as this speeds up the natural harnening process, how true this is I dont know!

Obviously you get to a stage where the thing is so undrivable the power is just a number, from my experience that number is surprisingly low, and 400bhp+ 2 litre turbo car is very laggy and difficult to drive, so getting speed and big numbers are 2 different things.

I guess to get those big numbers its the usual suspects but on a grander scale, pistons, rods, crank, fuelling, block strengthening and a huge great turbo and intercooler with methanol injection, lag city!

Nathan, saw you a couple of weekends ago at Brands, good job! When are you at Donington? I am Head of Design at Norton Motorcycles now which is within Donington, if you are supporting the BTCC again I will be in our suite overlooking redgate if you want to pop up and say hello.

Simon

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”