[Mk2] [Turbo] charge cooler pump location and orientation

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bolton

[Mk2] [Turbo] charge cooler pump location and orientation

Post by bolton »

would the charge cooler pump be ok here and will it be ok this way arround?? its replacing my charcoal canister, help please as the next time i can get outside it will most probably rain!! lol!! thanks all!!
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] charge cooler pump location and orientation

Post by raptor95GTS »

yep that's a good palce for it. Inlet to the pump is the middle and outlet is er the outside one :thumleft:
bolton

Post by bolton »

so it would have no problems with flow compared to mounting it to the gearbox?? as the pump is slightly higher then the charge cooler core outlets??
and is this the way round

or like this
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

impeller end should be towards the bottom. you should leave enough play in everything to turn it upside down to bleed the system though
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The pump should be as low as possible to get the highest head on the pump to stop it cavitating. The flow and return through the front rad does not matter, but the flow through the charge cooler should be from the throttle body back towards the turbo. This way the coolest water is at the off end of the charge cooler and picks up heat travelling back towards the turbo. If it flows the other way round you will lose 25% of it efficiency.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

toyota designed the flow from the turbo end to the throttle body. I know what you're saying is correct bob but that's not how toyota designed it. Dunno why though :-k
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

They got it wrong.
It may be they did not think it would make any difference, but it does. In every heating or cooling coil the water flows the opposite direction to the air.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bolton

Post by bolton »

ok i got the pump on the gearbox now like everyone does!! so which diagram is correct??
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

the diagram is correct but whether that's the best way is another matter. There's a few topics on this subject, a wee search will get most of them
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Bob's chargecooler theory is correct but unfortunately doesn't really work with the ST205 core. The core isn't just an empty box with a water jacket in it; it has various blocks and dividers in it to aid flow, bleeding, etc. It's an utter pain connecting it the 'right' way round (you can't run the pump while filling it for example as it will eject the coolant out the top of the core into your face) and you are more likely to introduce airlocks as well. You do lose efficiency this way as Bob points out, but the system is so amazingly more efficient than the standard intercooler anyway that you will still see a good increase. Connect it up the Toyota way round (the diagram with the red and green arrows on (which is mine btw ;) )).
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

toxo wrote:Bob's chargecooler theory is correct but unfortunately doesn't really work with the ST205 core. The core isn't just an empty box with a water jacket in it; it has various blocks and dividers in it to aid flow, bleeding, etc. It's an utter pain connecting it the 'right' way round (you can't run the pump while filling it for example as it will eject the coolant out the top of the core into your face) and you are more likely to introduce airlocks as well. You do lose efficiency this way as Bob points out, but the system is so amazingly more efficient than the standard intercooler anyway that you will still see a good increase. Connect it up the Toyota way round (the diagram with the red and green arrows on (which is mine btw ;) )).

Have you ever had the charge cooler open? I think we have 4 or 5 hanging around here so I may have a go and open one up just to see what is inside, just not sure what part to open, will the top just come off?

Bob
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I've not, but I've seen pictures of a core with the top off. Think they were on here but they took an absolute age to find last time :( You can see some of the internals if you pop the filler cap off and look in through the top to where you should be able to see the water inlet nearest the turbo - you'll find for example you can't see it as there is an internal block to prevent the water just being pumped straight in and straight out again.

Edit: Oh yeah, they're also not easily opened. You pretty much have to cut the top off and weld it back on again.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
>PETE<

Post by >PETE< »

Hey Guys,

I have opened the ST205 CC and have posted pics on it through other forums see here: http://www.gt4oc.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... r&start=60

or here (no login required): http://mrtwo.mine.nu/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID ... st205%2Ccc

Return to “Modifications”