Front bumper issue

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tomm

Front bumper issue

Post by Tomm »

Hey, I was hoping some one coud help me out!

i have removed many many many bumpers from many brands and models of car/van/trusk and its always pretty straight forward. Is it like this with a MR2? Of course not!

I jumped on googe and got some usefull hits.

I have undone the following!

Now this is what i am having prolem with, these bolts just tras a unit and do not come lose?

My car is a JDM rev2 and by the looks of things the car which i have been following a tutorial for is a rev3+ I am not sure if this would make any differance But how can i get around his problem?

thanks a lot, Tomm
-:[KM]:-

Re: Front bumper issue

Post by -:[KM]:- »

Sounds like the captive nuts have either come loose, or have been replaced with usual nuts and are spinning... Get your arm in and have a feel along the rearside of the bolts. If you feel square 'nuts' they're spinning, hex' nuts they've been replaced. Either way you'll need arms like Mr Tickle...

Good luck.. :thumleft:
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

Oooops, just re-read your post. I thought you meant the bolts along the bumper top trim.. :oops:

Is it the rub-strip trim? If so, they will spin if the bolt length is rusty. The head (which is a flat square) is encapsulated into the rub-strip. Will the strips prise off at all? That way you'll be able to hold the head of the bolt. Try and get the strip off without bending it though.. then you can bond the new bolts to the strip to reposition it on reassembly.

I always use stainless bolts along the front bumper and undertrays smeared with grease incase I need to remove them at some time.
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

yes they are the ones along the rub strip/behind the toblerones and they do seem very rusted!

I have tried to pry the rub strip off but had no luck :(

I think i might have to get the grinder out and just take the bolts off that way, I have new strips to put on and atleast i now have a excuse to replace them :)

Thanks a lot, Tomm

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”