Dale on the BBC

Seen another MR2 when you were out and about? Find out if it was another IMOCer here.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Poohbear

Re: Dale on the BBC

Post by Poohbear »

Anyone know if Dale ever had his car RR'd? I'm assuming the wild 300bhp claims are just the BBC making stuff up, but it would be interesting to know what difference the 100 shot actually made.

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
System-G

Post by System-G »

tonigmr2 wrote:Woke me up at 6.50am or so this morning, good job. :thumleft:

Yeah it woke us up too... we weren't sure if it was DaleV or not though...

Not sure what set up Dale is running, but 300hp does sound a bit optomistic though and certainly not all the time either. I'm sure it can be done, but not for much longevity of the engine either.

(not having a pop - good effort Dale :thumleft: )
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
JJ

Post by JJ »

Just as a note...

A stock Rev 2 turbo ( 200- 220bhp ) with a 50 shot can generate around 350 bhp circa with equivalent numbers in torque...
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
System-G

Post by System-G »

Yes, but isn't Dales a Rev2 N/A which runs at circa 158bhp or something? Meaning to hit 300hp, he'll need roughly 150shot? (well slightly less).

That's a fair amount to run (permanently) on a stock internal engine. Naturally no-one would do that though.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

he does have a 150 shot...
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

System-G wrote:Yes, but isn't Dales a Rev2 N/A which runs at circa 158bhp or something? Meaning to hit 300hp, he'll need roughly 150shot? (well slightly less).

That's a fair amount to run (permanently) on a stock internal engine. Naturally no-one would do that though.

Dale's is 198BHP with a fair amount of headwork etc I think. Still a hefty shot of Nitrous needed.

I think an 11lb tank would last around a minute with that size jet on the system. :-k
steve b

Post by steve b »

Limeymk1 wrote:
System-G wrote:Yes, but isn't Dales a Rev2 N/A which runs at circa 158bhp or something? Meaning to hit 300hp, he'll need roughly 150shot? (well slightly less).

Dale's is 198BHP with a fair amount of headwork etc I think. Still a hefty shot of Nitrous needed.

I think an 11lb tank would last around a minute with that size jet on the system. :-k

Which just goes to show how pointless nitrous is for anything but a 1/4 mile car.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Sponge Bob

Post by Sponge Bob »

Limeymk1 wrote:

This is just another bandwagon for the safety muppets to jump on. ](*,)

Nail + Head
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Limeymk1 wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:How ever, any kid can go out, buy a rusty old mk1 MR2 for a couple of hundred quid, strap a 500bhp nos kit to it and wipe out a small town in the aftermath.

:lol: If they don't set that kit up properly they'll be more likely to disintegrate their piston crowns and annihilate the engine. It's not as simple as just plug and go Matt. [-X

This is just another bandwagon for the safety muppets to jump on. ](*,)

It'll last long enough for them to potentially get into serious trouble.

Remember the old Jag XJ on Top Gear?
They threw enough N20 at it that it blitzed the then current crop of super cars over a 1 mile drag race.
And it klled Stig 1. I mean if it can kill a Stig it can kill a chavvy 17 year old :lol:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

dont believe everything you hear or read! I was using a 100 shot (200nos, 100fuel jets)

now this is how it went:

BBC: how much does a standard mr2 engine have?
me: an NA like mine is 158bhp
BBC: how much is yours?
me: mines modified
BBC: so how much
me: 153 bhp at the wheels
bbc: (now confused) well if yours is modded why not more
me: having to tell them roughly how bhp figures work and stating it would be around 190 at the fly

BBC have then done their own thing, rounded it to 200 and added 100 from the nos, giving 300bhp

as i say it was a fun day, I would only ever run the nos on the track anyway, they initally wanted meto do the filming on the m1, i told them NO! so they booked me york dragway
Last edited by Dale_V on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

oh and it was mapped at 153 at the wheels, its never been mapped at the fly, thats why i could only give an estimate to the BBC in relation to stock figures!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

matt_mr2t wrote:It'll last long enough for them to potentially get into serious trouble.

They threw enough N20 at it that it blitzed the then current crop of super cars over a 1 mile drag race.
And it klled Stig 1. I mean if it can kill a Stig it can kill a chavvy 17 year old :lol:

Depends on if they have the brain to get it right, a large dose of Nitrous with the wrong spark plugs = curtains for the engine within a very short time. If I made that mistake I'm sure a good number of others could. :lol:
Last edited by LimeyMk1 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

I think Dale's car is a bad example for this news item - it's a low to the ground sports/GT car with well-executed mods in all the important areas, plus more importatnly it was designed as a sports/GT car from day one.

The danger they're talking about comes when you crank up the power on a car that wasn't ever designed to handle or stop properly without then upgrading the suspension, tyres and brakes too.

That stupid comment from the BBC guy about someone driving fast in a car like Dale's behind you on the motorway was completely irrelevant - you can hit 100 in a family hatchback with no N2O or other mods. ](*,)

High-powered cars straight from the factory are equally safe - it's the driver that's the dangerous part.

They should have used some over powered torque-steering b1tch of a turbo'd Astra to illustrate the point more effectively IMHO.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Limeymk1 wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:It'll last long enough for them to potentially get into serious trouble.

Depends on if they have the brain to get it right, a large dose of Nitrous with the wrong spark plugs = curtains for the engine within a very short time. If I made that mistake I'm sure a good number of others could. :lol:

There's a Nitrous dealer not far from me. From memory they can supply, fit and set up an N20 kit for as little as £500
These are one of the more recognised nationally installers of N20 kits. Wizards Of Nos IIRC.

It really is the cheapest way to get bang for your buck. But it has to be set up spot on or bye bye engine.
Then again, isnt that exactly the same for any engine mod?
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Makes me laugh that they're doing a feature on a modification that most insurers wont touch.

jmachling wrote:High-powered cars straight from the factory are equally safe - it's the driver that's the dangerous part.

Yeah I reckon they should bring in some sort of Driving test.... oh... hang on a minute... :-k #-o

Everyone should know the risk of being on the road. I'd be more worried about a half dead pensioner on my tail than a charged up spotty teenager.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Nah I'd have to disagree with that.

You learn to drive generally in mundane, low powered, small, front wheel drive hatch backs.

You have to drive within the speed limits all the time or get told off by your instructor, or fail your test.

The moment the test is passed, kids want to go as fast as they possibly can. In a little slow box of a car there isnt too much danger. But you put them in something with any hint of grunt and it's an accident waiting to happen.

There should be, IMO an maturing period for new drivers. A few years before they are allowed to own and drive any kind of high powered car.

No one NEEDS a sports car, it's a luxuary and if you really want it, waiting wont hurt.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

You could limit the little ones to 1.2 or smaller engines, but even then those that want to go fast will. 1.2's are more than capable of breaking a ton but with the smaller engines, the driver is more inclined to 'keep the momentum' once getting up to speed. That's the kind of thing that causes the problems. People with faster cars tend to drive slower on the smaller roads as it is easier to get up to speed.

The fact is that all cars are capable of speeding, but it is the driver that causes the crash, not the mods.

Maybe the government should simply introduce a new tax of some type, that's the normal result of these 'safety bandwagons'.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Sorry Dale, forgot to say the motor looks good. :thumleft:

I heard them talking on the radio and figured it was you when they said it was an MR2 and that your name was Dale, and your surname started with a V.
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

Shmed wrote:You could limit the little ones to 1.2 or smaller engines, but even then those that want to go fast will. 1.2's are more than capable of breaking a ton but with the smaller engines, the driver is more inclined to 'keep the momentum' once getting up to speed. That's the kind of thing that causes the problems. People with faster cars tend to drive slower on the smaller roads as it is easier to get up to speed.

The fact is that all cars are capable of speeding, but it is the driver that causes the crash, not the mods.

Maybe the government should simply introduce a new tax of some type, that's the normal result of these 'safety bandwagons'.

Would like to think I can have a decent say in this, considering I just turned 19 and having owned my rev3 na since last november.

Ive always loved cars, past my test first time and alot quicker than my mates, my first car was a 1994 1.3 fiesta with the grand total of 60hp when it was new...I spent the whole time ragging the boobs off of it because it was just soo gutless, didnt often get above 60 but it was flat out everywhere.

Then I got a 1.6, so just a slight upgrade with 90 or so ponies but obviously you cant drive it flatout everywhere as itd crack a ton so took it a bit steadier, found myself cruising along much more often.

Another 6 months of driving that and I bought my mr2 with practically double the bhp and my first taste of rwd. Suffice to say it has to be driven with a lot more respect and I find that if I cruise along getting good mpg that allows me to dab the loud pedal when I get to suitably empty and windy roads.

So what, you say. Well before you go limiting everybody who is under 21 to a 1.2 / 75hp think about what you are saying. Dont just jump on the bandwagon and stereotype all young drivers together, its no different to smearing all car "modifiers" and enthusiasts with the same brush :neutral:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Sorry, don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting for one second that limiting young people is the way forward. I used to drive a 1.3 Astra in my teens, and like you I drove with my foot to the floor everywhere. It wasn't until I'd graduated to my 16v GTE that I understood that you could get a sore ankle when driving for a long time (as with the pedal fully down I'd be over 100 in no time).

I'm completely against any ideas to limit young drivers on what cars they drive, I reckon the problem is bad drivers (of any age). Only problem is, the figures don't lie and young male drivers are in more accidents than any other age group (or so the media will have us believe).

Starting in a small car definitely taught me how to drive, but I reckon I am a much safer driver in a faster car as you don't need to push it all the time.

Return to “Spotted”