22k provable from new Mk1a on the bay

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiny

22k provable from new Mk1a on the bay

Post by Tiny »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/W-W-1986-MK1-TOYO ... 240%3A1318

Its not mine bit pink but if anyone from here buys it ill sort that out for them :+:

currently at £620 with less than 24 hours to go :shock:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: 22k provable from new Mk1a on the bay

Post by Charged »

The seller paid £500 for that mk1 last week I beleive. Nice quick buck!
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Tiny wrote:Its not mine bit pink but if anyone from here buys it ill sort that out for them

Can you also sort out the daylight coming through the front valance? :shock: :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

itl polish out :lol:

seriously though anyone from here or the Mk1 cubs buys it ill come sort out the pink
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

It would make a good race car, I may have a bid
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

it may just be the picture quality or the sun but it looks pink all over the place!
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

must be something about Toyota owners down that way. im buying a red one with one owner from brand new, and its got a full Toyota service history from almost the exact same Toyota dealerships as that one!!!

for 20,000 miles though the one in this thread looks like a proper dog. theres rust all over the place and the paintwork is awful. that few miles is bad for a car, it means its been sat a LOT and probably only used on short runs. id take a 120k every time, low miles is pointless. MR2's go forever mechanically, its the rust that is a problem, and low miles guarantees nothing whatsoever in terms of bodywork

this one is worth £500, nothing more. 28 bids and nearly £1200 is ridiculous, just because its got low miles
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

doesnt matter about the body work you can repair and replace pretty much all of that and that paint WILL polish back to gleaming red! trust me its what i do.

its worth that and with only a small amount of money £5-600 of body work you could easily churn it out in Mint condition for £4k
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

should that front part under the bumper not be black?
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

Tiny wrote:doesnt matter about the body work you can repair and replace pretty much all of that and that paint WILL polish back to gleaming red! trust me its what i do.

its worth that and with only a small amount of money £5-600 of body work you could easily churn it out in Mint condition for £4k

theres more than £5-600 of bodywork in that car if youre getting it done properly (not a DIY job)! more like £1500 just to get it respectable

£4k plus the £1200 is £5200, thats a lot of money for a mint MR2 just because its low mileage. there are 2 mint examples up for sale at the moment for around the £2500-3000 mark. one has a hideous coloured paint job though. theyve got more miles on the clock (not excessive), but as i said, mileage on these cars isnt an issue. rust is. this car is rusty, therefore the mileage should be irrelevant and its worth the same as any other rusty MR2, £600.

im collecting an MR2 next week that has had one owner since brand new, its done 100k more miles (with full Toyota service history, plus its been used most days and not just sat around rusting and seizing up), that is in 90% mint condition and needs just 2 tiny bits of welding doing (for reference, id consider the one in the auction to be about 60% mint, bearing in mind the interior should be perfect, despite its nasty bodywork). and im paying less than that auction ended for (which is about the going rate at the moment, im not really getting a super bargain)
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

Just curious, how can you guys tell if the mileage is accurate on the cars over there? Do you have registration checks available, like here in the states? I'd never believe that one only had 22k with that sort of rust issue up front.
I bough a low mileage SC (63k) that looked much better than that (from those angles), but it still had a lot of surface corrosion (salt and rust) on rear parts (not visible from shots like those). When I finish restoring it, it will be immaculate, but it takes a lot of time and money.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Fab4MR2 wrote:Just curious, how can you guys tell if the mileage is accurate on the cars over there? Do you have registration checks available, like here in the states? I'd never believe that one only had 22k with that sort of rust issue up front.

We have a yearly MOT road-worthyness test that records the milage each year. Service receipts normally show milage as well. Taken as a whole, service history should verify the milage of the car. In this example, you can see the car did only 200 miles in the last year.
The rust is more to do with our very aggressive road salt and also if the car has been kept outside for any significant time. No reason why any 20 year old car can't be that bad. Perosnally I think that this cars low milage is to it's detriment. My car has 100,000 miles more but is in much better condition.
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

Yeah, I've seen and heard of a number of issues related to the MOT you folks have. It certainly appears to crack down on questionable cars, which I think is a good idea. That's a lot more than they do here.
The 22k certainly would make me wonder. I can understand a 20 year old car having that kind of rust, but the questions it raises about a low mileage car, having it, are many.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Fab4MR2 wrote:I can understand a 20 year old car having that kind of rust, but the questions it raises about a low mileage car, having it, are many.

Not really, a mint car 2 years ago could now be a rust bucket if it hasn't been stored properly and driven through one of our winters. My 1985 mk1a was in very good condition 2 years ago. Now it is in an awful state :(
Last edited by Charged on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Regardless of the condition of the car and how much work is required to restore it back to mint. It is documented that the car has 22k if your restore the full works right down to all arches wings floor pan complete new suspension new engines everything you could practically lift up the data plate and put a new shell on the car its still 22k from new. if you do that with a 120k car the 22k car is still going to be worth more.
coverco

Post by coverco »

Tiny wrote:Regardless of the condition of the car and how much work is required to restore it back to mint. It is documented that the car has 22k if your restore the full works right down to all arches wings floor pan complete new suspension new engines everything you could practically lift up the data plate and put a new shell on the car its still 22k from new. if you do that with a 120k car the 22k car is still going to be worth more.

Personally I would not pay more for a 20 year old car with 22k miles on it, the engine will likely be more worn than a 100k car as it will have not been run much and so will have not been lubricated regularly. With MK1's the most important thing in my opinion is the condition of the bodywork, so a car with 22k miles that is rusty but original would be worth less to me than a car with 200k miles on the engine with a solid body :thumleft:
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

coverco wrote:Personally I would not pay more for a 20 year old car with 22k miles on it, the engine will likely be more worn than a 100k car as it will have not been run much and so will have not been lubricated regularly. With MK1's the most important thing in my opinion is the condition of the bodywork, so a car with 22k miles that is rusty but original would be worth less to me than a car with 200k miles on the engine with a solid body :thumleft:

I would generally agree, in that I would much rather buy a car with an immaculate body and a lot of engine and transmission wear, then one with low mileage and a very rusty body. I'd also be leery of purchasing a car that had to have a lot of bodywork done to restore it, unless I knew the owner and shop that did the work personally.
tommundy
Premium Member

Post by tommundy »

Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

Definitely a car you would want to inspect. But what could they have possibly spent thousands of pounds on, with so few miles, and the issues mentioned that were not repaired/replaced? :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”