Tubby vs Integra & Audi R8

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Olly P

Tubby vs Integra & Audi R8

Post by Olly P »

I was just crusing along the A217 in Surrey chatting to my mate next to me in the passenger seat (who owns a DC2 Integra Type-R), when just up ahead we clocked the familiar rear end of another white Teg. We caught up and chatted to the two chaps in it through our open windows. Up ahead, the lights were red. Ahead of us, the famous 'Mad Mile' - a 1/2 mile dead-straight section of dual carriage-way.

Lights go green and I'm on full boost - 1st, 2nd, into 3rd... pulling hard. The Teg is already way behind. Then, as I reach the top of 3rd gear, I see the familiar sight of the white LED lights of an Audi TT in my rear-view mirror.

But hang on! This guy is catching me... and quick!

Into 4th, boost bang on 1.0bar as the black Audi pulls level. It's then I realise it's an R8 at full acceleration! Fairly comfortably he begins to overtake as I hit 5th. Then it's time to hit the slow pedal.

I have no idea where he came from as I didn't notice him behind me at the lights. Have to say I was disappointed at the noise. It was more or less silent as he passed me.

It also shows how much weight affects performance. My tubby can match my friends RS4 up to 100, but the R8 (being about 300kg lighter than the RS4 - plus me with a 6ft8 / 130kg passenger) passed me, I have to say, fairly easily.

Guess that's the difference between 300 and 400bhp.

Was funny when the Teg finally caught up. They said the sight my tubby and the R8 at full chat was very entertaining.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Tubby vs Integra & Audi R8

Post by Martin F »

looking at an R8 and RS4 i would put my money on the RS4 being lighter, now knowing that the R8 is 300 kg lighter has me confused :lol:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

marty1 wrote:looking at an R8 and RS4 i would put my money on the RS4 being lighter, now knowing that the R8 is 300 kg lighter has me confused :lol:

You thought the big 4 door saloon was lighter than the smaller 2 seater? :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I've seen a few RS4's around where I work and the noise has made sex wee come out every time, and that's just at tick over crawling along...

You didnt come across a diesel prototype did you lol?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:I've seen a few RS4's around where I work and the noise has made sex wee come out every time, and that's just at tick over crawling along...

You didnt come across a diesel prototype did you lol?

They make a fantastic sound dont they =P~
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Yeah, my friends RS4 sounds lovely. But the R8 just didn't have that supercar/Ferrari V8-style howl it looks like it should have. That's why the V10 R8 is the one for me.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Dare I say it wont make a Ferarri V8 sound because it's not a Ferarri V8 :?

I think Ferarri V8's are often 5 valves per cylinder and rev very high for V8's. They also tend to use butterflies in the exhausts which distinctly changes the exhaust pitch at a certain RPM when they open up.

Although I could be wrong.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:Dare I say it wont make a Ferarri V8 sound because it's not a Ferarri V8 :?

I think Ferarri V8's are often 5 valves per cylinder and rev very high for V8's. They also tend to use butterflies in the exhausts which distinctly changes the exhaust pitch at a certain RPM when they open up.

Although I could be wrong.

I think only the f355 was 5v. Someone told me its something to do with them using a flatplane crank or something.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

There's definately something that makes them unique.

They are higher pitched in sound and much more melodic.

Most other V8's are deeper, growl more and seem to rev lower.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

RobCrezz wrote:I think only the f355 was 5v. Someone told me its something to do with them using a flatplane crank or something.

Correct, on both parts.
sutton

Post by sutton »

I've driven an r8 on track, i must say they are absoloutley awesome but i know what you mean about the noise

Chris
Yellow Rev 3 Turbo

Return to “Driving Experiences”