[Mk2] [Generic] big favour from a border bonnet owner (please)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fearless

[Mk2] [Generic] big favour from a border bonnet owner (please)

Post by fearless »

im going to try and fabricate a replica border bonnet by chopping a normal metal bonnet, i was hoping to get some good quality close ups of a bonnet and would also like some dimensions of it. :pray:

i would like to know

1) from the bottom of bonnet how far up does the scoop start and how far from skuttle panel end does it finish.

2) how deep does it go at its deepest closest to the front.

3) and also how far away from headlight covers is the scoop, in pics it looks like an inch to 2 inche's but very hard to tell from pics.

if anyone could help me it would be appreciated. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
fearless

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] big favour from a border bonnet owner (please)

Post by fearless »

anybody :cry: :cry: :cry:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
tubby_mr2

Post by tubby_mr2 »

where in essex are u i have a border copy if u wanna pop round to take measurements
fearless

Post by fearless »

i live in dagenham essex matey :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
tubby_mr2

Post by tubby_mr2 »

i am in loughton mate not to far?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

theres one on ebay now :) -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carbon-fiber-bord ... 240%3A1318

OR

Contact this guy, He sells the Border bonnet vents that you put on your standard bonnet -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-TOYOTA- ... 240%3A1318
fearless

Post by fearless »

yes i see that on ebay that carbon bonnet and the scoop was my first idea which i may go back to now,
as getting the shape i require from metal may be rather hard so payday i think i will order one of those fibreglass jobs and have a go at blending it in with filler, just hope thay are still doing them i see thay are on holiday at the moment have to wait and see im still waiting for my bonnet yet though. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

yea, I think that would be the easiest way, saves all the hassel of bending, cutting and wleding metal together. Im guessing your getting a spair bonnet to mess around with? Might as well they are cheap to get and at least you can take your time on it :thumleft:
fearless

Post by fearless »

yes mate ive bought a bonnet off larry93 to play with i use my car everyday so have to do it that way,
as you say take my time and should be ok im not bad with fibreglass and filler repaired enough bike panels so should be ok with it. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

tubby mr2 thanks for the offer matey but think im going down the fibreglass route migh be a bit easier :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

hi nofearmadbiker. im alun. i think we have the same idea with the bonnet. and like you i cant decide how i want to do it. im going for the border bonnet too and also use my car as a daily driver. cutting and welding would be better as it wont crack but i dont have welding kit, so the ebay bond in job looks like the way forward, altho it will take a little bit of cutting to get it in and then some bonding and smoothing.

im worried that after all the work we do it will crack when shut hard..
fearless

Post by fearless »

untill i really see how the scoop fits its hard to say, im looking at bonding the top and using glassfibre underneath and if their is anywhere that i can hide some screws i will do that aswell,
looking at pics of scoop i think the filler is going to be minimal and i dont slam my bonnet i click it shut and i hardly ever pop the bonnet anyway so fingers crossed it might be ok,
i have a jigsaw airsaw and a nibbler so cutting the bonnet wont be a problem might even make a template for it out of hardboard or something as said you can get bonnets cheap enough. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
tubby_mr2

Post by tubby_mr2 »

no probs any time
bolton

Post by bolton »

i would counter sink some rivets into it to hold it in place nice and firm!
fearless

Post by fearless »

i have a rivet gun so could do that, glad to see thay are still advertising the scoops on ebay i thought thay might have stopped making them. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”