overheats when i boot it!!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Igor

overheats when i boot it!!!

Post by Igor »

every time i put my foot down, a couple of mins later i see a load of steam from the engine (coming somewere near were you put the coolant in) and it stinks of coolant. a few seconds later the temp needle rockets and it spits the coolant out!!

its done this three times now!

any ideas
Razor04

Re: overheats when i boot it!!!

Post by Razor04 »

worst case headgasket or cracked block
best case low coolant, dodgy rad cap, dodgy thermostat, airlock needs bleeding (see the knowledge base for a good how too), fubared radiator

obviously you sort the simple things like rad cap £15 from toyota thermostat £30 approx fensport etc bleed the system 2x plastic hoses in the frunk for this: 1 goes on the rad the other on the heater matrix bleed tap below the windscreen. top up the coolant and make sure there's coolant in the expansion tank white bottle next to the filler neck & clean out the pipe that connects the filler neck to the expansion bottle can get blocked up with sludge / rust particles etc.

when you've done all this report back and we'll say HG or Cracked block

have a nice day 8)
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Not tried a search?!
I doubt you'll be the first person to have experienced this in the 20 years the MkII has been around ](*,)

Anyway, get a sniffer test done. This checks for fuel in your coolant - the sign of a head gasket or cracked block issue.
Igor

Post by Igor »

cheers, i'll give that a go.

wierd thing is, i can drive it all day everyday with no problems. its only when i really give it some stick :-k
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

could be head lift syndrome? where the head lifts off the block under boost, causing air to get in the system and overheat.

This can be overcome by repalcing headbolts with new ARPs.

However more than likely HG. Wait for 'Lewis Jay' to come on, he'l soon diagnose your problem :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Head lift? On an NA? :rambo:
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

ooops didnt read see his avatar section. my mistake, was just giving all the reasons i had as this happened exactly the same to me
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Sorry, I'm just in a pedantic mood. Would be a mean NA though if it was head lift!!! :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”