[Mk2] [Generic] JDM Limiter

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cantfindausername

[Mk2] [Generic] JDM Limiter

Post by cantfindausername »

Just having a though. I've got a standalone ECU being fitted, this should remove the JDM limiter right? But would I still need the converter part of it to convert from KM to MPH at the Dials?

Its one of the twosrus clamping ones that screws to the back of the speedo.

Cheers,
Ant
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] JDM Limiter

Post by raptor95GTS »

yes and yes - at least I think so lol
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

A standalone can be programmed to output any speed i.e. 100mph or 180mph etc...

you won't need the delimiter/speed converter...95% sure anyway :-k
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i thought that at first but then I remembered I read somewhere the gearbox drives the speedo directly which then outputs back to the ECU :-k
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

allan welsh wrote:i thought that at first but then I remembered I read somewhere the gearbox drives the speedo directly which then outputs back to the ECU :-k

Correct.
cantfindausername

Cheers, I vaguely remembered that the g/box went to speedo, then to ECU.

Thanks for your replies guys. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

The Bits4Twos delimiter sold in TwosRus is a two stage device. Stage one converts the kmph pulses to mph, so you still need that part if you have a kmph speedo that you want to read in MPH. The Clamping delimiter stage will be redundant, but as both stages are on one board, you will need to keep it to convert the speedo reading.

On all MR2s the speed signal goes to the speedo first, on a rev one, a rotating cable is used up to the speedo where pulses are generated and then sent to the ECU, on rev 2 to 5 cars it is electronic from gearbox to speedo where the logic level is shifted and then it is sent on to the ECU.
cantfindausername

Thanks for confirming Stef. Can you just clairfy what the switch is for on the little gizmo? I seem to remember its something to do with the mileage counter?

Thanks,
Ant
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

cantfindausername wrote:Thanks for confirming Stef. Can you just clairfy what the switch is for on the little gizmo? I seem to remember its something to do with the mileage counter?

Thanks,
Ant

The switch has two uses.
In the KMPH position (i.e. if kmph speedo fitted) it converts the pulse stream from KMPH to MPH.
In the MPH position (i.e. if mph speedo fitted) it does not convert, so you could use it in this position to enable a KMPH speedo to read in KMPH if you so wish.

The other use is to toggle the self test on and off. If you change the switch position with the ignition on, it switches the self test sweep on or off.
cantfindausername

OK, i currently have a 110mph clock, so I'm reading unconverted.

But as the restrictor is coming off with the change in ECU I'm going back to a 180 kmh clock, but I want this to be 180mph, so am I right in thinking I need the switch to be set to KMPH?

Thanks,
Ant
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

cantfindausername wrote:OK, i currently have a 110mph clock, so I'm reading unconverted.

But as the restrictor is coming off with the change in ECU I'm going back to a 180 kmh clock, but I want this to be 180mph, so am I right in thinking I need the switch to be set to KMPH?

Thanks,
Ant

That is correct.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

I have a greddy emanage....when my car goes in to get tweeked, can i get them to remove the limiter while they are toying with the laptop on my ecu?

I'm not bothered about the convertor, but wouldnt mind ridding the limiter so i can have some in my private back garden runway :twisted:
cantfindausername

Stef Derner wrote:
cantfindausername wrote:OK, i currently have a 110mph clock, so I'm reading unconverted.

Thanks,
Ant

That is correct.

Cool, thanks for confirming that for me. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “Modifications”