[Mk2] [Turbo] Downsides to regapping plugs down to 0.7mm from 0.8?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rikki

[Mk2] [Turbo] Downsides to regapping plugs down to 0.7mm from 0.8?

Post by Rikki »

Hey everyone, not been on here much in the last year as my car's lack of working properly has seriously depressed me to the point of hating the thing.

Finally got the drive to get her running properly again instead of just getting me to work and back so I have a quick Q.

Having done a big search on plugs and read the replies some folks say to use grade 7 copper NGKs some say 8's and some say regap to 0.7mm to stop misfiring etc.

My Q's are, when would you jump from 7's to 8's - and what would be the down sides of running 8's day to day?

And...

Whats the downsides to gapping the plugs to 0.7mm anyway instead of 0.8?

Thanks folks,

R.
RobCrezz

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Downsides to regapping plugs down to 0.7mm from 0.8?

Post by RobCrezz »

Rikki wrote:Hey everyone, not been on here much in the last year as my car's lack of working properly has seriously depressed me to the point of hating the thing.

Finally got the drive to get her running properly again instead of just getting me to work and back so I have a quick Q.

Having done a big search on plugs and read the replies some folks say to use grade 7 copper NGKs some say 8's and some say regap to 0.7mm to stop misfiring etc.

My Q's are, when would you jump from 7's to 8's - and what would be the down sides of running 8's day to day?

And...

Whats the downsides to gapping the plugs to 0.7mm anyway instead of 0.8?

Thanks folks,

R.

Sometimes if gapped too low the car can strugle to idle, but mine idles fine and needed to be gapped lower to stop misfiring under boost. You want the highest gap that works basicly. Too high and the spark can be blown out, too low and it wont ignite properly.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

IIRC grade 8's are far too cool unless you're running big power and doing 1/4 mile sprints from each set of lights. Use Grade 7's as 8's will just foul up
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

Thanks very much folks, so grade 7's will do fine and I "should" be ok regapping em to 0.7mm just to be on the safe side.

Return to “Modifications”