KYBs for MOT but what springs?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tomsky

KYBs for MOT but what springs?

Post by tomsky »

Had to change leaking original front shocks for MOT and put some KYBs on for cost and availability. That alone has made a massive difference in the taughtness of the cars feel so im now thinking how knackered everything else must be and should probably get the rest of the suspension done. Im looking at replacing the rear shocks with the same and then getting some springs but im not really looking to lower the car really and would prefer a decent ride with some mild improvement in handling over stock. Could any one recommend what springs to go with the KYB and where to get some? May also look at some superflex bushes after that ridewise are they quite acceptable or will they feel bit crashy/hard.
Mk1Chris

Re: KYBs for MOT but what springs?

Post by Mk1Chris »

If you want a comfy ride, try to replace everything with standard parts or just bogo standard replcements from a parts shop.

As soon as you lower or try to uprate anything, it gets stiffer. My track car has kyb shocks, apex springs and poly bushes. I won't lie to you, it actually makes my kidneys hurt going over bumps in it.
Smallport 4AGTE
HT

Re: KYBs for MOT but what springs?

Post by HT »

Mk1Chris wrote:If you want a comfy ride, try to replace everything with standard parts or just bogo standard replcements from a parts shop.

As soon as you lower or try to uprate anything, it gets stiffer. My track car has kyb shocks, apex springs and poly bushes. I won't lie to you, it actually makes my kidneys hurt going over bumps in it.

Totally agree, worst still as a road car it will handle awful over the typically rutted roads we have in the UK.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”