OMP steering wheel and best size

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tomsky

OMP steering wheel and best size

Post by tomsky »

Hi recently put on an old momo wheel and boss which is ok but think could do with something with a fatter rim and maybe bit smaller as its about 350mm. Was thinking about maybe one of the OMP wheels. In general what to do people think is the most effective size wise and considering no power steering. Also would the OMP mate to a MOMO boss ok
kaiowas

Re: OMP steering wheel and best size

Post by kaiowas »

I've got 320mm momos on both my road and track cars, vix has 350mm on her road car. Stock is about 370mm from memory. I find the 320mm to be nicer to use and have no problem with low speed manouvering.
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

Depends upon how much you drive the car. If it's a daily, i'd go for as big as you can 'til you think it looks rubbish.

For the track however, i prefer my tiny little moutney wheel, i think it's about 320mm ish too. It is a tad heavy to manouvre, but since it spends most of its life on the front drive waiting for me to book a track day - then it's fine :thumleft:
Smallport 4AGTE
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I had a 320mm OMP on mine....

Can get annoying being a D and havnt put it back on for a while.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Mk1Chris wrote:If it's a daily, i'd go for as big as you can 'til you think it looks rubbish.

Whether it's for road or track I prefer the opposite philosophy of going as small as you can before you find the steering too heavy.
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

kaiowas wrote:
Whether it's for road or track I prefer the opposite philosophy of going as small as you can before you find the steering too heavy.

LOL, i think i worded it a bit wrong - and I cant really talk anyway, even my turbo has a tiny momo fitted :lol:
Smallport 4AGTE
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Yeh...320mm in both of my Mk1's...! :thumleft:
MartG

Post by MartG »

320mm in the road car, 280mm in the track car
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I used a 350mm sparco wheel. I went for this size because I found the steering too heavy with a 320mm wheel.

The car was primarily a track car, but I still found I had better purchase on a bigger wheel.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I am surprised no one has mentioned getting some dish / moving the wheel closer.

You would actually find that moving the wheel closer will have more effect on your ability to steer than the actual size of the wheel. I have a dished wheel, which is spaced right out so my arms are always at 10 to 2 (my bucket seat is back and also reclined) this alone made a massive difference as I didn’t feel like I was hanging onto the wheel. I run a 350mm. Oh make sure it’s a nice simple round wheel as well.

FYI Rally design do a nice dished suede wheel for £50 notes!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Bender Unit wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned getting some dish / moving the wheel closer.

You would actually find that moving the wheel closer will have more effect on your ability to steer than the actual size of the wheel. I have a dished wheel, which is spaced right out so my arms are always at 10 to 2 (my bucket seat is back and also reclined) this alone made a massive difference as I didn’t feel like I was hanging onto the wheel. I run a 350mm. Oh make sure it’s a nice simple round wheel as well.

FYI Rally design do a nice dished suede wheel for £50 notes!

It depends how long/short your legs are!
I'm a shortie, so by the time i reach the pedals, the wheel is in a perfect position :thumleft:
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

I was looking at a something abit smaller for the Mk1 but didnt want to really compromise on the Size or the OEM wheel is there anything that moves the wheel closer like a spcaer but for the steering wheel. I only would need say 2-3inches and that would just bring the wheel away from my leg abit.
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Tiny, Demon tweeks sell spacers and you can also get them from Techno toy tuning in the states
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Perfect excuse to get a snap-off adapter as they bring the wheel 2-3 inchs closer. Remember though it will move the wheel away from the indicator stalk.

http://www.snap-off.com/index.htm

The Richbrook R2 at 350mm would make a very nice upgrade....

http://www.richbrook.co.uk/pages/steeringwheel.html
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

not really a problem i have big hands but i couldnt use the original Wheel with the snap off adapter though could i.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I've not seen anything that will allow you to extend the steering wheel shaft or space the stock wheel further out.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

un1eash wrote:Remember though it will move the wheel away from the indicator stalk.

you say that like its a bad thing! i cant stop hitting my indicator with my 280mm (or 300mm, depending on whether the measurement is to the outside of the centreline of the wheel) OMP wheel. ive got a 3" spacer on its way (from Techno Toy Tuning in America, was ordering top mounts and just tagged the spacer onto the order whilst i was at it, saves on shipping costs) to move the wheel closer to me so i can stretch my legs a little more and sit further back
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Jim your only in Basingstoke I work in Odiham.

Would it be possible to come see your Mk1 at some point and see what the clearance is like with the smaller wheel and my 6ft5 frame
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I'm only 5'11 and have the seat all the way back. Steering wheel reach is perfect, its why i decided against a snap off adapter.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

Tiny wrote:Jim your only in Basingstoke I work in Odiham.

Would it be possible to come see your Mk1 at some point and see what the clearance is like with the smaller wheel and my 6ft5 frame

im the far side of basingstoke from odiham, but sure just let me know when you want to pop over. the small wheel is in there at the moment just on the momo adaptor. i should get my extension piece arrive sometime in the next week or so and then it will be 3" closer to me

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”