Can I extend intake tube

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

speed

Can I extend intake tube

Post by speed »

I'm thinking of extending the pipe into which the intake fits so that its further from the engine and nearer to the side vent on the car. Can i do this and would it be better to have the pipe made from metal tubing or rubber. Rubber would be easier to do but would it be better due to heat transfer. I know nothing about this so excuse the question if the answer is obvious. The car is non turbo by the way.
Mr2_NA

Re: Can I extend intake tube

Post by Mr2_NA »

Im guessing you have an aftermarket induction kit?

If so, all I did was get some silicone hose and whack it on the inlet bit, nice 45 degree stainless steel pipe towards the vent and another bit of silicone hosing then the air filter then another bit of hose (as mine is in a carbon box) on the otherside with abit of flanged pipe sat near the duct to gather that bit more air.

Shouldnt worry about heat transfer as long as your filter ain't sat on the intake. :thumleft:

Oh, cost me £37 to do, ebay is your friend. Just make sure you get the right diameter pipe. I posted a thread not long ago about a stainless pipe, try looking further down the mods section in MK2 :thumleft:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Metal makes the induction sound louder, rubber will mute it a bit. But from a performance side, I doubt it will make much difference.
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Polished-Alloy-In ... 240%3A1318

Hello,

You want one of these, perfect fit lengthwise but I've got the 3" pipe which is too big.

As Rob says it does make the induction sound louder but also deeper which gave my quad system a nice burble. Just need an EVC now to quiet the exhaust down in the mornings and through town

Cheers

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.

Return to “Mechanical”