Refurbing struts

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PeterRST

Refurbing struts

Post by PeterRST »

Hiya,

my struts are pretty knackered. The rubber boot covering the rod of the damper is in pieces and the strut top bearing has gone, too. There's some other strange noises coming from the shock so it's probably best to freshen up the whole unit.

I've got a Rev1 N/A so basically I should be able to take the whole strut apart and replace all the important items with new parts?

Is there any kind of rebuild kit for that? Has anyone ever done it before? If so, how much were the parts? Buying original Toyota will be proper expensive and I'm not sure whether I shouldn't get aftermarket dampers/springs rightaway.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Pete
ej2_sir

Re: Refurbing struts

Post by ej2_sir »

Yeah you can rebuild them with whatever you want really. For the actual shock absorber you probably want KYB/Koni etc prices range from about 60 - 100 each. Top mounts are expensive approx 70 quid each from Mr T. Fensport do TRD uprated for about 50 quid each. Next you will probably want to put lowering springs on so budget between 100-170 depending on what you want(Eibach are about the best imo)
Hope this helps
PeterRST

Post by PeterRST »

I take it, being a rev1 I can buy a shock absorber cartridge instead of the whole strut? Or is 60 - 100 the price for the whole assembly (excluding top mounts/springs)? Where's the best place to buy?

I've already got Eibach springs fitted to the car, quite happy with them in deed. ;)
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

PeterRST wrote:I take it, being a rev1 I can buy a shock absorber cartridge instead of the whole strut?

its a cartridge affair that slots inside the strut (once you've unscrewd the bit nut that the chrome part of the shock sticks out through

PeterRST wrote:
Or is 60 - 100 the price for the whole assembly (excluding top mounts/springs)? Where's the best place to buy?

I'd think £60 per shock. I bought a set of Koni SSK153 including springs for £330, but that was a few years ago. I'd just google it and see what comes up, but fensport would be a good starting point for reference.

PeterRST wrote:I've already got Eibach springs fitted to the car, quite happy with them in deed. ;)

they'll be even better with new dampening - made a big difference to my car.

Toyota will be quite expensive for the rubber boots - I recall getting on for £100... you might try a local motor factor to see if any universal ones will fit?

while the struts are off, I'd also paint them up, grease up the top mount bearing, or replace it if it's looking too orange.

hth

Ian
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

A complete new strut from Toyota is only around 60 odd quid. Not worth rebuilding them IMO.
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

I went from rev3 shock and springs to rev3 rebuildables with TRD springs and shocks.
Difference is unreal, feels so complient on country roads but nice and firm when throwing it around.
Koni inserts are good, so I have heard.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.

Return to “Mechanical”