[Mk2] [Generic] The LED Fever continues - fog lights ... now heater, finally!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fearless

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] The LED Fever continues - fog lights ... now heater, finally!

Post by fearless »

sorry while we are talking led's and things im thinking of changing my flashing red for a perminent blue i know led's dont draw a lot of power will i be alright with this :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Mr2_NA

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] The LED Fever continues - fog lights ... now heater, finally!

Post by Mr2_NA »

Flashing red what? :-k
fearless

Post by fearless »

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o sorry my alarm/imoboliser light was having a bad day :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

Maybe some people have trouble finding there pedals at night? :? :lol:
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

nofearmadbiker wrote:#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o sorry my alarm/imoboliser light was having a bad day :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Hi Steve,

Why yes, yes you can, done mine and replaced it with the same LED as the dash indicators (no resistors etc needed) but had to chop the bottom plastic away on the bulb while keeping the wire and then solder it in. Does light up the whole interior of the car at night when it flashes though. Not exactly subtle but goes well with the white/blue needles.

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
inky

Post by inky »

More LED madness today ... I had a bit of spare time in between exercising the dog so had a chop around inside the car.

Door pocket LEDs are now gone, but I used the feed wire to power some 60cm slimline sticky backed LED strips that were ordered by Trevor (BLZ) from China when he got himself some (I owe you, I haven't forgotten! :oops: ) ... Basically, wiped down the underneath of the door, peeled off the backing, stuck it on 6 inches at a time, nice and smooth, then added the power which was spliced into the door courtesy light.

And I think it came out absolutely fricking lovely!

And no, I don't have a very good camera. The strip comes on soon as you open the door and lights the ground, I think it's much better than neons under the sills which can look a bit :whistle:

Also today, replaced the non-working bulb in the headlamp tilt adjust with another red LED. Thanks Trevor! Probably the easiest half hour spent, doing those three switches :thumleft:

Next job: fitting a lighter ring ... always forgetting that one.
fearless

Post by fearless »

thats handy if you dropped something on the floor, i hope you have a good battery for all these lights. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
inky

Post by inky »

I don't think it'll matter too much, LEDs don't use much current do they? And all my added LEDs are only on for a few seconds when the doors are opened and closed so not much of a drain there :thumleft:

Next ... engine bay! Maybe.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Forgot about my pedals :whistle: Been sat under the bed in the bits box along with some red strobes!

May have a little play this weekend as I don't have any cash to buy stuff till next week :( Dam you Trafford Centre Arcade [-X
inky

Post by inky »

I've put this off for far too long and no further excuses can be made, so I got down to doing the heater LED conversion ... oh dear, I dreaded this bit. :pale:

But surprisingly it was quite simple IN THEORY ... but when soldering irons break down, LED legs drop off, and things refuse to stick in place it starts getting a bit stressful.

At least next time I'll know what to do, in which order.

The easiest part was the five "select" switches, demister, and recycle/off switch LEDs. These were already orange LEDs so it was just a matter of holding them up to the light, seeing which way round they were (the new ones I had didn't have a flat edge) then desoldering, and replacing, with new red ones.

I tested the circuit in the car and it was all fine, so next was the two bulb replacements. Easy enough you'd think, and it all seemed so. I had a bunch of fat LEDs lying around from when I did my sills, so figured one of those would be good enough.

Unfolded the wire legs of the old bulb and replace with the LED which had a miniature resistor built in. Tight fit but I managed. Connected it to the car and it all looked fine. Put the circuit in the heater unit and plugged it in, what the hell? So so so pale, the diffusion of light by that big clear chunky perspex piece was all wrong. Couldn't read the switch position on the left, and the recycle/off and demister buttons were invisible. Dammit!

OK, back to the drawing board ... how about, seeing if I can buy red bulbs? Nobody round here stocks them, including Maplins. Bah!

Next idea: paint the bulbs with red clear paint (Tamiya). Great, shoulda thought of this earlier. Except the bulbs seem to have some sort of coating which repels the paint! Now what!?

Back to Maplins ... and another set of red LED strip lighting. £5.12 later and back home to start the wire welding. Except, in the time it took me to unplug the soldering iron, drive to Maplins and drive back, the soldering iron has decided not to work no more, no how no way. Jesus! Back to Maplins with the broken one and grinding my teeth, bought another one. Keep any receipts for Maplins purchases folks, cos I didn't and it was only 3 months old. I'm prepared now!

Home again home again jiggedy jig! Up to the spare room and start soldering. The double-sided tape they have on the back doesn't seem to have much grip when applied to short circuit boards, so after more swearing it's down to to the car and search for thick double sided number-plate tape. Few strips of that and I'm sorted ...

Test fitted the circuit to the car and its all good! Finally!

Put the circuit back into the heater unit ... hmm. Due to the LED strips not being too flat its a bit of a squeeze to get the circuit back in to position in the unit. After some gentle force and being fast with a screwdriver I finally got the lot back in and ran down to the car before I could break it somehow.

Tested ... fine ... fitted ... fine ... wired the cables back up including the heater slider wires which are a nightmare for me ... ok fine ... ignition on, lets see how it looks!

Oh. Bit boring ... the position selectors and demister/recycle look OK but not too exciting. How about with the lights on?

Thats more like it! A bit of colour. Shame it's pink ... but still. Better!

How about night time ... I just took these and was very VERY happy, after the past two days of ar$e ache (I started at 9pm last night and sat up till 2am, neighbours must love me going out and slamming car doors at that time) ...

Yay!!!! :thumleft: :lol: At last! only took me a year to get the nerve to fiddle with it but it certainly looks worth it!

The final cockpit view - I need to get a lighter sorted out, window switch LEDs fitted, and under-seat lighting is a probable too.

Before anyone says it, I know it's dirty in there, and it needs hoovering :whistle:

PS: It looks a lot more uniform in real life - the colours in those pics are sort of light-dark-light-dark, but it's much better than that, and much redder too :thumleft:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

About time as well mate ,looks good though :thumleft:
inky

Post by inky »

Couldn't believe how much trouble I went through just to replace those two bulbs Trevor ](*,)

I've got some of that LED stuff left, you want me to send it in the post? I would have brought it round but the interior's been in bits for most of the day.

Don't forget I owe you some cash :shock:

I've got one strip of the 60cm LED left, and 8 x pods (like the blue ones in your doors). Any idea what to do? I was thinking of the strip in the boot, and maybe rig the pods up under the seats to fade with the door closing. Giving away all my secret plans now :clown:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

inky wrote:Couldn't believe how much trouble I went through just to replace those two bulbs Trevor ](*,)

I've got some of that LED stuff left, you want me to send it in the post? I would have brought it round but the interior's been in bits for most of the day.

Don't forget I owe you some cash :shock:

I've got one strip of the 60cm LED left, and 8 x pods (like the blue ones in your doors). Any idea what to do? I was thinking of the strip in the boot, and maybe rig the pods up under the seats to fade with the door closing. Giving away all my secret plans now :clown:

Well now you know how you can finish the one for me :whistle:

Ive put a strip in the frunk ,so i can find the spare if i need it
you could put 2 pods in the engine bay to show through the side vent holes :whistle:

Did you get my PM?
inky

Post by inky »

Oops - yeah I got that PM, keep forgetting to check the link out :oops:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

inky wrote:

How about a strip above the headlights?

Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Pedals were xxxx. I mean xxxx. A saxo did not even deserve them!

Please everyone, avoid!

I ripped them to pieces and kept the leds and threw away the pedals. :clap:
inky

Post by inky »

Shoulda took some pics! :lol:
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

[-X [-X [-X

I still have the exhaust whistler for a turbo style sound, would you like a video?

It sounded so cr@p on the girlfs car. It wouldnt fit on my exhaust.

Gona do a mission to put it on a strangers exhaust and record it for giggles while they drive away in a 30 scond turbo conversion \:D/

Return to “Modifications”