Not a good start

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nige_B

Not a good start

Post by Nige_B »

I've not been on in a while as the MK1 has been off the road (due to being unemployed) however I am now back in work and eager to get the little 'go-kart' back in action. As it had been stood for about a year I thought I'd give it a bit of a looking over as I notice a bit of bubbling around the rear arches.

I removed the o/s side skirt and started prodding and poking and eventually got to this:

I also had a bit of a prod around the bottom of the front arch and actually found it's not attached to the sill. The wing over all doesn't look to be too bad.

I have seen that repair panels are available through the drivers club however prices are not displayed to non members. Problem is I can't afford to join at the moment (still waiting for first pay cheque), so can anyone give me some idea how much so I can do some calculations and get it booked into the bodyshop?

Thanks alot

Nige :)
coverco

Re: Not a good start

Post by coverco »

Buy the repair panels off Ebay they are about £35, the bottom of the front wing is held on by one bolt which often rusts away just drill and tap it.
Nige_B

Post by Nige_B »

I don't know why but I never think to check ebay for things like that, cheers. :)

I think the bottom 2 inches of the wing may need to be replaced but no doubt the bolt will be dust by now too.

I've yet to remove the other side skirt yet so I'm sure there's more little suprises for me there #-o

Cheers for your help :)
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Yeah Ebay is your friend :thumleft:

Or you can always try the wanted section aswell
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Nige_B

Post by Nige_B »

After having a good look around the repair panels on ebay look to be the cheapest. Have many people used these panels?I know very little about the quality of steel so need your help!

Basically, I want to keep this car until I'm physically too old to drive it (currently 26!) because I love it so much. So obviously I need this repair to last as long as possible. My main worry is if I fork out over £300 on all of the panels only for my bodyshop to say they aren't of the best quality.

Basically I'm willing to pay more if there are better panels out there!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”