mr2 rev limiter, quick question?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dale_V

mr2 rev limiter, quick question?

Post by Dale_V »

on the stock ecu, what is the rev limiter controlled by, ignition? fueling?

cheers
Dale_V

Re: mr2 rev limiter, quick question?

Post by Dale_V »

im guessing its governed by the mr2 fairys then? :mrgreen: :clown:
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

Hi Dale,

Just fib and say it's for a Tubby, you'll get loads of responses then. :clown: :clown: :clown: :-#

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

marcnoonan wrote:Hi Dale,

Just fib and say it's for a Tubby, you'll get loads of responses then. :clown: :clown: :clown: :-#

Marc

yes mate, i know what you mean by that, shame really!

surely someone must know what the 7250rpm limit is actually goverened by? it will be the same whether turbo or NA, I just need to know if its ignition, fuelling or maybe something else.

cheers
steve b

Post by steve b »

Dale_V wrote:

Marc

surely someone must know what the 7250rpm limit is actually goverened by? it will be the same whether turbo or NA, I just need to know if its ignition, fuelling or maybe something else.

cheers

the standard way is just cut ignition, then if you ignore that cut fuel as well.

N/a's need revs 8100rpm limit for me, need to get it dyno'd as it pulls hard all the way to the limit. 173bhp stock + mongoose, + cool feed induction + higher rev limit & remapped, got to be pushing 190bhp :)
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

steve b wrote:
Dale_V wrote:

Marc

cheers

the standard way is just cut ignition, then if you ignore that cut fuel as well.

N/a's need revs 8100rpm limit for me, need to get it dyno'd as it pulls hard all the way to the limit. 173bhp stock + mongoose, + cool feed induction + higher rev limit & remapped, got to be pushing 190bhp :)

cheers steve, now i can attempt to increase the rev limit to 8000. :thumleft: should be fun
mk2too

Post by mk2too »

I wonder what the standard block could take and still be reliable? i assume the rev limiter was no different on the rev 1,2 compared to the higher powered 3,4,5's? although i can imagine it being alot safer to do on the later revs?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

mk2too wrote:I wonder what the standard block could take and still be reliable? i assume the rev limiter was no different on the rev 1,2 compared to the higher powered 3,4,5's? although i can imagine it being alot safer to do on the later revs?

I believe the rev limit is the same on all revisions

Increasing the rev limit on a stock mr2 engine would be safer on rev3+ as they have an underbucket shim arrangement :thumleft:
JJ

Post by JJ »

86 x 86 square engines 8k all day long on a stock block !!

A lightened one ( rods / pistons / fly / trick clutch / pullies ) should be able to squeeze a bit more out.

I'm at a conservative 8500rpm on mine !! :mrgreen:

Most the rev 3's bailed at around 7300 - 7400 rpm... rev 2 turbos change at 6k as it was pointless anything more with that CT-26 due to it being asthmatic and torque dropping off !!

NA's.. a different kettle of fish... Dale, you still got the shim on bucket setup ??!! Can't remember it on the NA's ??!! You stuck HKS's in as well ?!?! Hmmm...
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

JJ wrote:86 x 86 square engines 8k all day long on a stock block !!

A lightened one ( rods / pistons / fly / trick clutch / pullies ) should be able to squeeze a bit more out.

I'm at a conservative 8500rpm on mine !! :mrgreen:

Most the rev 3's bailed at around 7300 - 7400 rpm... rev 2 turbos change at 6k as it was pointless anything more with that CT-26 due to it being asthmatic and torque dropping off !!

NA's.. a different kettle of fish... Dale, you still got the shim on bucket setup ??!! Can't remember it on the NA's ??!! You stuck HKS's in as well ?!?! Hmmm...

nah on solid buckets, :mrgreen: a ported and polished head, piper 264 cams, adjustable piper pulleys and piper springs :mrgreen: its good to go basically :eye:
JJ

Post by JJ »

8K minimum !!! :mrgreen:

Did you shim up the oil pump whilst it was in bits ??!
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

JJ wrote:8K minimum !!! :mrgreen:

Did you shim up the oil pump whilst it was in bits ??!

no i didnt shim the pump. im using a 3sgte pump, but they are exactly same as 3sge ones anyway arnt they? will i still be ok at 8k?
JJ

Post by JJ »

Its not feeding a turbo as well.. which you'd assume should be fine since the turbo feed is an additional channel of pressure loss. The rev 1/2 turbos I read had a problem sustaining flow above 8K ( limit )

Wonder why toyota kept them relatively low in comparison to their little 4AGE brother... I used to rev mine to 7900 on a daily basis !! :mrgreen: Straight out the factory !! Like a friggin motor bike !! :cyclops:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

JJ wrote:Its not feeding a turbo as well.. which you'd assume should be fine since the turbo feed is an additional channel of pressure loss. The rev 1/2 turbos I read had a problem sustaining flow above 8K ( limit )

Wonder why toyota kept them relatively low in comparison to their little 4AGE brother... I used to rev mine to 7900 on a daily basis !! :mrgreen: Straight out the factory !! Like a friggin motor bike !! :cyclops:

so ill be fine then 8) I think it should be a blast :!:
steve b

Post by steve b »

Dale_V wrote:
JJ wrote:Its not feeding a turbo as well.. which you'd assume should be fine since the turbo feed is an additional channel of pressure loss. The rev 1/2 turbos I read had a problem sustaining flow above 8K ( limit )

so ill be fine then 8) I think it should be a blast :!:

Its good the noise my n/a makes at 8000rpm is great :mrgreen:
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .

Return to “Mechanical”