Question About Front Spoiler

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SteveM

Question About Front Spoiler

Post by SteveM »

I was looking under the front of my car today (MK1b) and noticed a hole in the front spoiler that looks like a clip or bolt might be missing? It's right underneath the spoiler where the two halves (n/s and o/s) overlap each other. The hole goes through both sections of spoiler and if there was anything there it wouldn't attach to any metal work at all it would just be there to join the two sections together if that makes sense :? Can anyone confirm if anything should be in there? Cheers :)
Zirax

Re: Question About Front Spoiler

Post by Zirax »

The holes simply hold the two half's together. This is on top of the four bolts along the top infront of the rad. Just put a nut and bolt in there and do up. Also copper grease it!!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

There should be a bolt attached to the raised portion of the splitter that pops through a hole in the two halves.

jimi

Post by jimi »

HTH
Jimi
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Limeymk1 wrote:There should be a bolt attached to the raised portion of the splitter that pops through a hole in the two halves.

That's it yes, through the raised section. Is it a nut and bolt originally, or a bolt and a clip, as that's what it looks like in the diagram Jimi posted?

Thanks for all the replies BTW :)
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

Yes, it is a bolt and a clip. The clip slides over the overlapped section of the two halves. I remember finding the bolt missing on my '87 NA, while the clip was actually in place. This was after it had developed the dreaded crack across the upper middle section of the raised half. I replaced both sections of the splitter and added a bolt to the clip, which significantly stiffened that section of the splitters, and I believe, makes it less prone to cracking. I've had no issues with it for the 80k or so miles, since I added the bolt, and I can sense that when it occasionally comes up against a wheel stop or curb that it flexes much less. :)

I decided to take a look at my '89 SC, and sure enough, it is missing both the clip and the bolt. Could Toyota have possibly been any cheaper?! #-o
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks for information Fab4MR2 that's really helpfull :D I'll go to Toyota and see if I can order the bolt and clip.
Fab4MR2

Post by Fab4MR2 »

Glad to help! I've got to get off to the dealer myself now, and get them for my SC. As it will stiffen up the spoiler a bit, it should make it perform more as a real spoiler as well. A lot of flex in those things is not good.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”