[Mk2] [Turbo] rear after market, fog light switch

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lard_Father

[Mk2] [Turbo] rear after market, fog light switch

Post by Lard_Father »

I'm a little new to the scene and have to add a fog light to my import m2 tubby. I have attached the light to back drill (drivers side) and ran the cable through to the switch location (along side the front fog switch). I bought the same switch as the front fog light from ebay and have added this in place the problem is the wiring; I know that to pass its MOT the switch has to illuminate while the fog is on. The switch has four wires at the back in a square set up, does anyone know how to wire these type of switches up correctly. So far i can either have the light on or the switch illuminated but not both :? . I've taken the feed (+) from the side lights so that the light will only come on when the side lights are on.

Any advice please, its mot time on thursday..... ](*,)
Lard_Father

switch looks like this

Post by Lard_Father »

inky

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rear after market, fog light switch

Post by inky »

A few others are having this problem too.

AFAIK import tubbies don't have the "rear fog alert" on the dashboard like UK cars do. When rear fogs are on there's a fog light shape the comes up in the bottom left hand cluster. Therefore UK cars don't need an illuminating warning light in the swtich itself. There is a lamp in the switch but that just comes on with the sidelights.

I'm Rev1 UK N/A. Taken from my dashboard when it was in bits:

The front fog switch however is a different matter, some say it illuminates with the sidelights, and gets brighter when you switch fogs on. I can't make mine do that but it does illuminate with sidelights.

Me and Trevor (BLZ) spent about an hour trying to make a front switch behave like a rear switch in the same fashion you are doing, ie bright warning illumination when activated, and ordinary illumination when off. Maybe he can shed some light (no pun) on your problem, I know he made a bit of progress later in the day.
Last edited by inky on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inky

Post by inky »

One more thing, neither of the UK switches look like that from behind ...

Fairly sure you can get a "light up when on" switch from Maplins just to get it through the MOT if it gets desperate.
Lard_Father

Post by Lard_Father »

inky wrote:One more thing, neither of the UK switches look like that from behind ...

Fairly sure you can get a "light up when on" switch from Maplins just to get it through the MOT if it gets desperate.

I've picked up a light switch to get it through its mot (hopefully). I'd be happy with lighting up when the fog is on, not too worries about dimly lit with the side lights. I have a go tonight. Thanks for the help mate.

LF

Return to “Electrical”