[Mk2] [Generic] The LED Fever continues - fog lights ... now heater, finally!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

inky

[Mk2] [Generic] The LED Fever continues - fog lights ... now heater, finally!

Post by inky »

Well once again I have too much time on my hands, and out comes the soldering iron ...

I got a pack of 3mm LEDs from Maplins, thinking it would be a straight swapover, but the first one I tried blew, so that was that. Obviously needed a resistor but it's quite a tight space so wasn't looking forward to that. Trevor had a pair of LEDs with holders and resistors which he kindly donated, 10 minutes later both switches are converted and back together.

There are some obvious scratches in the clear areas of the front of the switch, so not fantastic, but the hard part has been done. Piece of cake to get them apart, little bit fiddly to put back together ...

1) Get them out of your dash
2) Using a flat screwdriver, lift one side of the plastic and pop the internal bit out a bit, then lever it out gently.
3) The bulb pops out through the circuit in a little rubber holder that goes on to two rods.
4) Slide your new LED in holder into the hole, solder legs onto the poles. Best to connect the circuit into the loom and test you've got it right way round, turn your sidelights on and if it lights up, then bingo.
5) Carefully slide back into the switch housing, test the rocker functions ok and then back into the dash.

Only real hard part is if the tiny ball bearing comes out of its home, if that happens take apart again, pop it back in, and put the circuit back.

*EDIT* It goes without saying that they are redder in real life than in the picture :thumleft:
Last edited by inky on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr2_NA

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] The LED Fever continues - fog lights ... now heater, finally!

Post by Mr2_NA »

Look nice :)

Have you done the rest of your dash to match?
inky

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] The LED Fever continues - fog lights ... now heater, finally!

Post by inky »

I've got ignition ring, lighter, ashtray, footwells, door pull lights, door pocket lights, clock acrylic, limo lights built into the kicker plates along the carpet, courtesy lights, and cubby box fitted in red. Speedhut dials in black with red backlit.

But haven't managed the heater lights as of yet, that's putting me off. I'm expecting it to be a quite a pain in the ar$e job, so not looking forward to it. It'll be done though, sooner or later....

Glove box is lit up with white, for a change. You can see the pocket lighting and part of the limo strip.

This one taken before the limo strips and dials ... can just make out the illuminated door pulls.

Annoying that my camera doesn't have a very good night mode on it.
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

[-( Did mine blue a few years back along with window switches, heater, clocks, interior light, etc..

:mrgreen:

Good work though! The heater lighting won't need resistors wired in as it's just a case of desoldering the existing LEDs and whacking some new in.

:thumleft:
inky

Post by inky »

That IS good news ... I was thinking about it for ages. Trevor gave me one to see if I could do his with blue ones but I never started it as I kept thinking it'd need resistors and/or I'd open it and all springs and things would go pinging around.

I'd like to have a go ... just getting a spare afternoon to do it in.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Limo lights are a nice touch in a two seater car :) :lol:

What LEDs did you use? I may follow in your steps :)

I've always fancied LED pedals :-s

I feel it may not be too hard to do, custom pedals with holes, some small flush LEDs and possibly thin perspex over the top with some holes drilled in and rubber bits to plug them to stop you ice skating while you drive :-k

I think the glove box & center box are next for me as its so annoying looking for CDs or change and having to drag the whole lot out.
inky

Post by inky »

Mr2_NA wrote:I've always fancied LED pedals :-s

You remember Knight Rider's pedals ..? :whistle:

That was on my list of "can I do that" things. I want to get some new rubbers for the pedals and start working from new. I'll let you know if it works, haha.

The limo LEDs were more a case of boredom. I had some spare ones that I'd got from Halfords, rip off price but they had long wires on each, plus the little plastic collar to grip them in place. One boring Sunday night I took each sill out, measured about 4 1/2 inches between, and drilled through from the back. Push in the collars, pop in the LEDs, trim the wire to the right length and just heat-shrink together until I had 8 in a line. Feed the wire up behind the fog lights and link to the ignition ring bulb. Ditto for the other side. They fade with the ring when the doors are closed. Haven't seen anyone else with them ... maybe am the only one who thinks they're OK :lol:

PS The Halfrauds LEDs were called "Micro LEDs" but they're not micro by any standards - they're 5mm chunky buggers. Clear when off, very bright when on.
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Too young for knightrider, I think (24) :roll:
I only remember t having the LEDs on the front and the voice graphic wave thing inside the car for when KIT spoke.

Baywatch, do you remember them boobies bouncing? :thumleft: :whistle:

Let me know what pedals you have been eyeing up for the swap, I may have a bash at this.

I do like those sill LEDs. I have a blue dash n clock, so just need to do the rest of them. I will see if I can find some flat LEDs that screw into the hole leaving it flush.... Like what you'd put in the ceiling of your house with an alloy ring. Too much to ask for I reckon.

I will perform this mod when I have the PS2 and screen in the car so I can watch a film while I work \:D/
inky

Post by inky »

Just tore all my PS2 and stuff out of the car last weekend. Easy enough to do, cheap £15 inverter and you're off :thumleft:

The newer flat flip-up lid model fits right in the glovebox and the controller leads butt up against the side of the catch so it stay in position nicely.
inky

Post by inky »

Mr2_NA wrote:Limo lights are a nice touch in a two seater car :) :lol:

What LEDs did you use? I may follow in your steps :)

I've always fancied LED pedals :-s

Here you go ....

In the series, when he hit the gas the LEDs would light up from bottom to top. This one just lights all at once, shame. This is what I was thinking of doing to the pedals, now unsure.

http://www.knt2000scustoms.com/59.html
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Now that is retro :clap:

I was thinking....

With flat LEDs in the holes
inky

Post by inky »

Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Ordered :thumleft: Will let you know the outcome :mrgreen:

I feel like a 17 year old neon whore at the moment \:D/
inky

Post by inky »

Cracking! You really bought them!

:thumleft:

If they had them in red ... perhaps .... :-k
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

I'll let you know the outcome, might just be able to swap the LEDs out for some red ones.

Gone wire them into the dimmer dial so I don't get dazzeled when I wear my white lacosste tracksuit
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

OH no a fiver :-k :-k
inky

Post by inky »

Are you thinking what I think you are thinking? :lol:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Who Me??
fearless

Post by fearless »

blackpool is starting to spring to mind now with all these lights :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Mr2_NA wrote:I'll let you know the outcome, might just be able to swap the LEDs out for some red ones.

Gone wire them into the dimmer dial so I don't get dazzeled when I wear my white lacosste tracksuit

Just put your feet on the pedals ,you wont see them then :whistle:

Return to “Modifications”