Suddenly won't start

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

David59

Suddenly won't start

Post by David59 »

Hello
A new member and my first time on here. I could do with some advice please as not that familiar with MR2 mechanics...my other car has carbs and dissys and things
I bought my roadster last May and had great fun driving it until SORNed it in November.
Since then it has sat outside and with no problem at all and I have periodically started it and run it.

Yesterday I went to do the same after several weeks but I had left the battery connected and there was no power
No problem...jumped it off the Mondeo as I've done before and fired first time and let it run for a few minutes...spent the rest of the day valeting

This morning (hadn't put much charge in yesterday) jumped it again but curiously everytime I removed the jump leads the engine died and it wouldn't run independently. Took the battery leads off, cleaned them and tightened them and tried again. This time a pop noise from the engine bay as I turned the key and then wouldn't fire at all and hasn't since.
Still turns over nicely with the aid of the Mondeo but no ignition.
Does this ring any bells with anyone please?

I have had a plug lead off and seen a spark.
I've looked at fuses and they all seem ok
I took the air filter off and squirted easy start down and got about a 4 second fire
I've taken the ECU fuse out and then replaced it later

More clues
At one point the alarm module in the front luggage compartment was making a weird noise
When the ignition is off there is still an electrical whirring noise coming from mid engine

Have I fried something?
Many thanks if you can help shed light on this
Kind regards
David

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”