MR2 MK3 Gearbox Repair or Replace?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DashingDebonairDave

MR2 MK3 Gearbox Repair or Replace?

Post by DashingDebonairDave »

2001 Toyota MR2 MK3 Roadster - U.K. 5 Speed Manual

Gearbox suddenly stopped working, making horrendous noise. Jams up, stuck in gear. Also necessary to physically force stick to keep car in gear and prevent it from jumping back to neutral.

Been diagnosed with "catastrophic gearbox failure" by several mechanics, having had details described to them, including one who tried to drive the car.

Seemingly two main options:
- Remove old gearbox and replace (~£200/$270) with choice of second-hand gearbox (~60,000 miles, ~£300/$400) Total = ~£500/$660 (1month/3month warranty)
- Remove and completely recondition existing gearbox, or replace with reconditioned gearbox and re-install = ~ £1000 ($1320) (inc. 1 Year warranty)

So basically, the second option being double the cost of the first.

Do I take a chance with a used gearbox and get it fitted for £500/$660 all-in, or my existing one completely overhauled or replaced with another reconditioned gearbox, guaranteed for a year, spending £1000/$1320 to fix a 15 year-old car?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Cheers,
David.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Re: MR2 MK3 Gearbox Repair or Replace?

Post by Jaspa »

Personally I'd probably just stick to the 2nd hand gearbox. but then I'm tight and never really factor in keeping the car long term (My mk3 is the only car that I have owned for more than 18months. I'm now into the 4th year with it)
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Good working second hand gearbox from a trusted forum member even better :thumleft:
MilesH

Post by MilesH »

Agreed, second hand box will most likely be fine, and at the moment they are not a silly price. There are a few trusted sellers for second hand mk3 parts. Feel free to drop me a pm and I can give you the details of the ones I've had positive dealings with.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”