Using Parts For Sale section for breaking cars :-(

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Re: Using Parts For Sale section for breaking cars :-(

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

tonigmr2 wrote:Jasper

The air freshener thing is a bit sad, but I think you got caught up in the whole 'are you making money' thing.

If people know traders are advertising privately then a quiet word in the above's ear should be had.

Whos Jasper Toni ?

Yeah i definately got thrown into that pot ! Never mind il keep trying. Peeps keep PM'ing about them but until im told im allowed to i cant via this site...... sorry peeps !! :?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Surley you can give them away for free :thumleft:

As long as people are prepared to pay for the postage and packaging, wink wink.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Sorry spelt it wrong!

Jaspa

I think air fresheners isn't exactly high profit, why not ask again.
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

dazzz wrote:Surley you can give them away for free :thumleft:

As long as people are prepared to pay for the postage and packaging, wink wink.

If i was given the go ahead to supply members with them then sure. Its not worth getting into trouble over.

Its a shame im not in charge of the memberships as id have a pack made up to send out. Air freshener and stickers etc with your premium membership.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Out of the last 100 posts created in the for sale section 36 have been created by the same person.

Always thought users were not supposed to spam the forum. Come on Mods get this sorted its ruined the for sale section....
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

JeffD wrote:Out of the last 100 posts created in the for sale section 36 have been created by the same person.

Always thought users were not supposed to spam the forum. Come on Mods get this sorted its ruined the for sale section....

its got worse since this inital post... every nut and bolt listed spereraly for cars being broke, theres a section specifically for cars being broken, use it.. or just dump all the parts into one post

its a right mess, then again its not just moderators who should have to police it, there should be some self control and common sense from the members posting! [-(
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Dale_V wrote:
its a right mess, then again its not just moderators who should have to police it, there should be some self control and common sense from the members posting! [-(

Agreed.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Dale_V wrote: theres a section specifically for cars being broken, use it.. or just dump all the parts into one post
!
My point exactly. Very disappointed that nothings being done about it.

I've got no objection to genuine members breaking their own car to raise a bit of cash but when someone is so obviously a trader (testified too by one of the IMOC committe giving a recommendation in TRADER feedback its very selfish for them to treat the club for sale section as a cheap form of advertising at the expense of everyone else. I think it sometimes gets overlooked that everyone else posting in that section has paid their subs too so it shouldn't be dominated by one pseudo business just so they don't have to pay fees to the likes of eBay.

Come on mods step up....
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

It clearly states in the 'Clarification of Rules for Trading on IMOC',
that 'The 'Parts For Sale' forum is a privilege for Premium Members only.'

I can find lots of infomation to show that affiliates are not Premium members. They may have some of the same privileges as premium members but are not the same, if they were the same they would be called premium members.

Affiliates do pay a premium to become affiliates / members but they are not classed as Premium Members. I'm sure affiliates can use the Premium members sections as well which going by the rules would suggest imoc need to re word things.

Either a premium member is a premium member or anyone who has paid a premium to become a member is a premium member. Can a mod clarify this?

The main issue is the service to premium members, this has to be the number one priority. I would still like to see aftermarket second hand parts in the for sale section even if they are for sale by traders, but don't like to sift through all the crap parts.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

thing is the folks that run IMOC don't give a toss about following or enforcing the rules as it's too much like hard work. All the excuses for not doing anything centre around this great new forum software that is in the pipeline.

It's the main reason I stopped paying a membership, one set of rules for some, the rest of us have to follow the other rules. If a mod can't read and enforce the rules then they should be removed from the position and since they aint doing anything in the first place then you lose nothing by removing them.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

allan welsh wrote:thing is the folks that run IMOC don't give a toss about following or enforcing the rules as it's too much like hard work. All the excuses for not doing anything centre around this great new forum software that is in the pipeline.

It's the main reason I stopped paying a membership, one set of rules for some, the rest of us have to follow the other rules. If a mod can't read and enforce the rules then they should be removed from the position and since they aint doing anything in the first place then you lose nothing by removing them.

I have to take issue with that Allan, especially as I've devoted hours to IMOC this week fixing gallery problems and the never ending paypal issues! You can't see the threads that detail it but the amount of moderation going on at the moment is huge, especially with the current influx of spammers!

You have to remember that the 'folks that run IMOC' are all volunteers and we do it in our spare time. We don't have endless time to spend cleaning up everyones threads and doing mass reorganisations of the forum. Most (if not all) of us have 9-5 jobs and it's simply not possible for all of us to devote all the time that would be required for complete, 100% moderation.

To be honest, we rely a little on the common sense of our users. That's why the report button is there, to bring problems to our attention.

The issue raised in this thread is above the moderation team anyway which is why it's been referred to the committee. We are deciding what to do (and getting pressure from the directors to reach a decision).
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

dazzz wrote:It clearly states in the 'Clarification of Rules for Trading on IMOC',
that 'The 'Parts For Sale' forum is a privilege for Premium Members only.'

I can find lots of infomation to show that affiliates are not Premium members. They may have some of the same privileges as premium members but are not the same, if they were the same they would be called premium members.

Affiliates do pay a premium to become affiliates / members but they are not classed as Premium Members. I'm sure affiliates can use the Premium members sections as well which going by the rules would suggest imoc need to re word things.

Either a premium member is a premium member or anyone who has paid a premium to become a member is a premium member. Can a mod clarify this?

The main issue is the service to premium members, this has to be the number one priority. I would still like to see aftermarket second hand parts in the for sale section even if they are for sale by traders, but don't like to sift through all the crap parts.

The fees for affiliation include a premium membership subscription. That should clarify things?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Why cant the offenders just be dealt with? As mentioned common sense rules 99% of the time but obviously some users are taking the mick. Its pretty obvious who they are by the number of posts. Current rules cover the situation adequately.

Personally, I think this Private Affiliate Sales status should be scrapped - members are offered legal protection when dealing with genuine businesses on here but this halfway house status allows traders to act outside the law - very bad IMO and very similar to traders on ebay selling cars whilst posing as private sellers to circumnavigate your legal rights.

BTW You might want to check out the wanted section too as this is being spammed too.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

toxo wrote:
allan welsh wrote:thing is the folks that run IMOC don't give a toss about following or enforcing the rules as it's too much like hard work. All the excuses for not doing anything centre around this great new forum software that is in the pipeline.

I have to take issue with that Allan, especially as I've devoted hours to IMOC this week fixing gallery problems and the never ending paypal issues! You can't see the threads that detail it but the amount of moderation going on at the moment is huge, especially with the current influx of spammers!

You have to remember that the 'folks that run IMOC' are all volunteers and we do it in our spare time. We don't have endless time to spend cleaning up everyones threads and doing mass reorganisations of the forum. Most (if not all) of us have 9-5 jobs and it's simply not possible for all of us to devote all the time that would be required for complete, 100% moderation.

To be honest, we rely a little on the common sense of our users. That's why the report button is there, to bring problems to our attention.

The issue raised in this thread is above the moderation team anyway which is why it's been referred to the committee. We are deciding what to do (and getting pressure from the directors to reach a decision).

dude I know it's all done in spare time and it is very much appreciated by all that get help on here from the forum. Agreed common sense from the members is required but since when have the vast majority of us been blessed with that - just aint gonna happen :wink: .

The whole buying / selling parts has turned into a total farce with dibs here there and everywhere, sellers being let down for payment, buyers not getting their parts. Quick way to sort it, remove it til the new forum goes live and have it tightly moderated from the start. All threads approved before going public - if folks don't like that use Ebay :thumleft:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

JeffD wrote:Why cant the offenders just be dealt with? As mentioned common sense rules 99% of the time but obviously some users are taking the mick. Its pretty obvious who they are by the number of posts. Current rules cover the situation adequately.

Personally, I think this Private Affiliate Sales status should be scrapped - members are offered legal protection when dealing with genuine businesses on here but this halfway house status allows traders to act outside the law - very bad IMO and very similar to traders on ebay selling cars whilst posing as private sellers to circumnavigate your legal rights.

BTW You might want to check out the wanted section too as this is being spammed too.

:-$
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

allan welsh wrote:

The whole buying / selling parts has turned into a total farce with dibs here there and everywhere, sellers being let down for payment, buyers not getting their parts. Quick way to sort it, remove it til the new forum goes live and have it tightly moderated from the start. All threads approved before going public - if folks don't like that use Ebay :thumleft:

Totally agree. Dibs should be outlawed.

First to pay, gets, simple.

Dibs are for time wasters. This is the only forum I've come across that allows it to flourish.

On my website (http://www.talkford.com) we have our rules clearly stated at the top of the for sale forum:

SELLING AN ITEM? THEN PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

* You MUST include a photo of the ACTUAL ITEM with your advert. The only exception being if the item is being given away for free.
* If you have no intention of purchasing an item listed for sale, then please do not comment on the price! This isn't the place for stupid remarks, and it will not be tolerated! If you're not going to buy, then keep quiet. The only exception to this rule if is the product can be sourced newer, and cheaper. This is to prevent unscrupulous sellers from cashing in.
* All discussions about the sale must be conducted on the Forums. NO PRIVATE TOPICS. This is for your protection in case of a dispute with the seller.
* Dont forget to leave feedback after the sale - click HERE for further details.
* If you pay using Paypal and choose the "Gift" method to save on fees, you WILL NOT be covered by the Paypal money protection scheme.
* We suggest all items are sent recorded/registered delivery for your protection.
* Ensure that both parties (buyer and seller) swap contact details (address / phone numbers)

Works like a charm.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Jason, why are you pointing fingers at Jeff?

Now Tryant has gone you're next in line. You've done nothing but bump all your post. Your engine post at the moment, and the gearbox post, and you're selling parts separately AND have a breaking car thread. IT's a joke. Stop taking the p1$$.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

because he started the witch hunt, and ill repeat myself just for your benefit (as you clearly cannot be bothered to read the whole thread)

When i was told by imoc to upgrade the status as i was breaking more than one car i asked to become a proper trader, they refused as i wasnt a Ltd company, and at no point has anyone official advised me to not post in the 4 sale section. So for people to get all precious about the for sale section that when i post in most of the items sell (alot to imoc mods, commitee members too) i really could care what their own view is.

I have support the need for change in this thread, stating the automatic deletion of old threads, removing finalised threads to clean up the 4 sale section and moving the breaking section to the parts for sale section as a sub section as the current breaking cars section gets little traffic. With regards to the other member you mentioned he NEVER put any of his breakers into the correct section - at least i do that to try and generate sales of parts from that section, and as you so clearly pointed out now he has gone im next in order for dragging over the coals for the terrible abuse of the 4 sale section. It seems that soem people on this site are not happy unless they are moaning about something or someone.

I dont have to answer to you or care about what you think, but if and when the proper sources come to me and advise me to act in a different way then ill either abide by the rules (again i cannot see im breaking any and nobody has told me thus far) or ill leave the forum.

People are driving cars around 15-20 years old on this site and need a constant source of spares, i have demonstrated that when the breaking section as it currently stands doesnt work to sell parts when they are listed individually they sometimes sell within minutes.

I do however conceed that on one occassion recently i listed quite a few parts all in one go and when i looked back at the section it was littered with my name. But there have been several stats bounded around in this thread where something listed at one time is on pager 3-4 in a matter of hours, i looked at that in detail and saw that the first page ( at the time of writing) was up to 5 days old at the bottom - so where is the truth in that fact?

anyway rant over, as i understand it from this thread the directors are wanting it sorted, and i completely agree as i needs to suit everyone so we are all happy with it.

Why can the private sales people like myself have a seperate subsection in the 4 sale section (there are not many private affiliates), or limit individuals to posting no more than say 20 items at ANY time then we would have to carefully choose what we have listed.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

you know, as we all do you're taking advantage of the forums. It's clear to see.

No, you don't have to care what I think. But you should act responsibly if you're conducting business on an enthusiasts forum. I have double the parts you have and could make a killing spamming and bumping my own posts.

I dont have to answer to you or care about what you think, but if and when the proper sources come to me and advise me to act in a different way then ill either abide by the rules

Well, I'm member number 18, I've been here a while. There's 7 pages of people whining about how people use the forum. Why not take heed and tone it down? Or promise to never bump your posts? A little effort might go a long way.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

not a fan of repeating myself but unless instructed to do so by someone who i should listen to.

I dont care what your 'number ' is or how many parts you have, i dont make the rules here.

But since this is becoming an issue for a very small minority on here maybe the directors should look at it, we wouldnt want to upset anyone would we

Edit, there might be 7 pages of it, but lets face it theres not many names in the thread is there

Return to “Club News and Announcements”