Speaker fitment / Wiring diagrams. please contribute!

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

paul port

Re: Speaker fitment / Wiring diagrams. please contribute!

Post by paul port »

I have been through so many ICE installs in the MR2 it is Untrue!
The equipment that has been through the car in the last 6 years, none of which could be considered Low-Fi:

* Arrived with - Sony Double Din CD/MD stock Speakers
* Loose Sony, Add JVC SH99RB, Soundstream Ref 405, Alesis MEQ230 1/3 Oct EQ, KEF K160Q fronts, Focal 8K4512 Bass in a tube.
* Replace KEF’s with Focal 165K3 3-way fronts passive, mount Focal 8K5412’s behind seats, boot mount Ref405 + Behringer DSP8024 Digital 1/3 Oct EQ and RTA
* Loose the boot install (got into trackdays). Phoenix Gold M50 under pass-seat driving Focal 165K3 Fronts passive. No Sub!
* Add Rockford EPX-II Xover / EQ and 2x Modified Ref405 amps, running Focal 165K3 fronts and 8K5412 subs fully active.
* Back to the M50 + Focal 165K3’s run passive.

Throughout all of this, two things are most constant…
The JVC SH99RB headunit, not only has Excellent sound quality even via MP3, but it’s black brushed aluminium look with little flashy stuff is an exact match for the MR2 interior!!! I would not replace it with anything I’ve seen on the market in the last 5 years.
The Focal 165K3 3-ways are simply excellent, they are the most expensive speakers I have bought (Home or car) but I do not regret them at all.
I have a history with focal, I used to use 8K011db’s with home designed waveguides in a previous competition car. Best results with the 3-ways are had mounting the tweeter and mid in the footwell in custom builds. This gives a great sound stage. The 165mm drivers in the doors (in spacers) give sufficient bass, you don’t really need subs.

See this KB article for 165K3 install details, Picture links broken – email me for a PDF

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=94

Paul.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

paul port wrote:See this KB article for 165K3 install details, Picture links broken – email me for a PDF

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=94

Paul.

Paul, you've lost reference to all your images in that KB...
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

I've got Kenwood KFC-P705ie component speakers in the front of my Mk2.

They are 63mm deep and required, I think, 18mm spacers. They are 170mm, 6.7" diameter. Great speakers for good money...
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

I've just written this pin-out diagram for the Premium Sound System from my 1995 GT Turbo.... hope it might be of use to a few :D

If anyone knows what the wires from 'Connector B' do, I'll amend the document, but as it's not needed for a stereo swap, it doesn't really matter!

Also available as a PDF (better quality but only 36kB) on my website:
http://www.mr2.me.uk/Mk2/ICE1/Mk2_Active_Wiring.pdf

Cheers,
Jon
Howling_Mad

Post by Howling_Mad »

Just fitted MB Quart DWA130's 5.25" Front Comps with TRC25 tweeters, crossovers mounted behind door panels. All straight swap - no cutting required.

Installing Kenwood KFC-WDA69RC 6x9 Powered Subs in the front of the storage boxes. Cutting required (obviously) to get the factory-like finish. Amp mounted under seat.

HM
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

I was able to fit 13cm Alpine speakers in the rear panels with no cutting went straight in; removed the bracket attached to old 3” speakers and fitted the new speakers straight in (2 corners fixed with the bolts, one with screw, one left unattached but a hole could be drilled and self taper used). Sound great compared to the standard 3” speakers too.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Mikey P MR2 wrote:I was able to fit 13cm Alpine speakers in the rear panels with no cutting went straight in; removed the bracket attached to old 3” speakers and fitted the new speakers straight in (2 corners fixed with the bolts, one with screw, one left unattached but a hole could be drilled and self taper used). Sound great compared to the standard 3” speakers too.

What size chap?
DaNgLe

Post by DaNgLe »

RedWitch wrote:
Matty_GTS wrote:Infiity Kappa components 16.5 cm fitted straight in and tweaters swapped straight over :)

Just fitted the same......straight swap for both woofer & tweeter

Rears - 3.5" Infinity Reference also straight swap

That is not possible, theres no way they fit straight out of the box!!! how the hell did u manage that?

I have a mr2 mk 2 uk rev 3 N/A and the woofer holding arms dont fit through the hole?? can i have pics please
Derek M

Post by Derek M »

DaNgLe wrote:
RedWitch wrote:
Matty_GTS wrote:Infiity Kappa components 16.5 cm fitted straight in and tweaters swapped straight over :)

Just fitted the same......straight swap for both woofer & tweeter

Rears - 3.5" Infinity Reference also straight swap

That is not possible, theres no way they fit straight out of the box!!! how the hell did u manage that?

I have a mr2 mk 2 uk rev 3 N/A and the woofer holding arms dont fit through the hole?? can i have pics please

Can anyone confirm if these speakers fit or not?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

I have now stickied this to make it more accessible to all those with similar questions, hope this helps 8)
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

cheers Leon,

suppose that means i need to get round to updating it a bit!

will do soon :thumleft:
BLZ-8027

Any good ?

Post by BLZ-8027 »

toylew

Post by toylew »

Rears...........

87mm Blaupunkt GTx 32, straight swap.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Leeroy wrote:I've got Kenwood KFC-P705ie component speakers in the front of my Mk2.

They are 63mm deep and required, I think, 18mm spacers. They are 170mm, 6.7" diameter. Great speakers for good money...

I've got a set of PS1700s to go in - can you tell me where/how to make these spacers? I also ended up with 25mm tweeters! I suspect these will not fit :(

Will the spacers require ANY modification of the door metalwork? I've just been trying to fit some 10cm jobs in the back, and despite all the people saying "straight in", I think this is a new definition of "straight in" - since I either have to attach them to the bodywork, make new brackets (my current thinking) or somehow make spacers to attach to the three bracket mounting points.

Straight in is "remove factory speaker, fit replacement" IMO...
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

For the front speakers I mentioned I used mdf spacers that I cut out from a sheet, basically a ring for each side with 3 drill holes for screws. You can also buy them from ebay I guess.

NO mod was required to the door but the plastic door card only just fits back on.

HTH.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Tweeters are fairly standard size, they'll probably fit.

Just pull the tweeter cover off (pull from top) and have a look. You'll probably have to unscrew the bracket from the wing mirror and then prise the old tweeters off, as they're glued. I glued my new ones in place but had to bend the bracket a bit to fit the deeper tweeters.
T-Bar Turbo

Post by T-Bar Turbo »

after having a read through this thread i see there is mixed reports on the kappa 6.5 speakers being a straight swap.

I`m in desperate need for some front speakers and i`m edging towards the kappa range as i dont want to start having to mess about fitting spacers etc

so which ones are the best to go for ?

the INFINITY-Kappa-60-7cs 6 inch or the INFINITY-Kappa-65-7cs 6.5 inch

whilst having a browes on flea- bay i have also spotted these INFINITY 6.5" 6520scs has anyone fitted a set , are they a straight swap ?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Its more about the depth of the speaker tbh chap. Get the dimensions from somewhere online and measure how much space you have in the door (by taking off the stock speaker - 2 minute job tbh).

Its the only way to know for sure.
T-Bar Turbo

Post by T-Bar Turbo »

cheers for the quick reply Leeroy :)

can i ask what setup have you got up front ?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Leeroy wrote:I've got Kenwood KFC-P705ie component speakers in the front of my Mk2.

The spacers are required because the magnets are so deep :twisted:

Return to “ICE and Security”