[Mk2] [Turbo] Steering lock not disengaging turning the key

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev3gtturbo

[Mk2] [Turbo] Steering lock not disengaging turning the key

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Putting the key in the ignition and turning it normally turns through the first position to release the steering lock before turning further to start the engine.
My key is no longer getting passed the steering lock.

The wheels are fairly straight and there is a little bit of steering turn left/right so the steering can be wiggled a bit.

It started playing up late on Friday and wiggling steering wheel and key eventually worked and I could start the car. Did that a few times. Now that does not work either.
I have tried wd40 in the lock and on the key but it didnt help.
Also tried again the following morning when it was cooler.

I am using a master key and I have written down the key number in case I break the key in the lock. I dont have a spare key.

Any ideas or is it a job for an auto locksmith?

cheers
chrisE

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Steering lock not disengaging turning the key

Post by chrisE »

You should be able to order a new one that's cut to match your current from a Toyota dealership (so long as the locks haven't changed since new), even on a jap import. To order this key the dealership would require your V5 document and driving licence which they need to copy for their records.

I recently had to do this with '2, cost me £16.64 inc VAT.

Chris
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

chrisE wrote:You should be able to order a new one that's cut to match your current from a Toyota dealership (so long as the locks haven't changed since new), even on a jap import. To order this key the dealership would require your V5 document and driving licence which they need to copy for their records.

I recently had to do this with '2, cost me £16.64 inc VAT.

Chris

thats actually really reasonable, ive been holding off getting a 2nd key due to being worried id get ripped off for one.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Thanks for the replies.

Toyota said they were unable to help as they were convinced there was something in the fob to do with factory fit security that would still be needed that they were unable to program.

I knew what that was not relevant due to aftermarket security plus the battery in the Toyota fob had been dead for years.

Toyota would not even cut a new key using my master key number or master key as they were convinced it would not work.

In the end I had to get another ignition barrel fitted from somewhere else.
RyanWilson

Post by RyanWilson »

It's not the job of an auto locksmith, you need to take it to the expert who's been experienced in dealing with ignition barrel.

Return to “ICE and Security”