Quick Vids from Anglesey

Your videos from MR2 events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Icsunonove

Re: Quick Vids from Anglesey

Post by Icsunonove »

Ben wrote:Tom ( Icsunonove ) with A032R's on his car - We finally passed a hugely slow 355 who wasn't checking his mirrors and got a clear lap in. The car felt surprisingly progressive given that it was running cut slicks. <Hmm, how much are a set of A032s for 14" rims...?>

Don’t bother Ben, please don’t bother! I bought these tyres part worn but they did have a fair amount of tread on them when I got them. I did half a day early Spring at Elvington (before the cylinder head gasket let go :roll: ) and two afternoons this weekend at Anglesey and they are ruined. Basically they are not round anymore and have just melted and on the edge of the tyre it’s just 24 blobs of rubber interspersed by canvas. The left front has started to delaminate as well. Have a look:

I’ve just been looking at how much to replace them. £153 each plus postage! So that’s roughly £650! :shock: Here’s the supplier:

http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/item_deta ... =444000903

In addition my shopping list after Anglesey includes two new rear lower ball joints, all new bushes, drop links (the rattling is doing my head in), poly bushes etc etc etc ](*,)

(My Dad’s just phoned as well. He’s taken the Lotus for its first service after IMOC Elvington. Apparently I have managed to warp both front discs (they are the Langxide Aluminium Metal Matrix discs no longer available). I thought this was impossible to do, obviously not! Mechanic suggests that we don’t fit Lotus standard replacements, he thinks my driving “stiles” will wreck them. So he suggests fitting racing discs and pads, £700! :shock: And in addition I also wrecked an almost brand new Advan Neova LTS left front tyre in one day :shock: . That's another £118! I'm kind of suicidal this morning...... :( )
MartG

Post by MartG »

Icsunonove wrote:Basically they are not round anymore and have just melted and on the edge of the tyre it’s just 24 blobs of rubber interspersed by canvas. The left front has started to delaminate as well.

I definitely mustn't have been trying hard enough - apart from a ridge of rubber which formed on my rear left ( and which wore off driving home ) my tyres look like they hadn't worn at all.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

lower wrote:did anyone actually get video of the s2000 blowing up? the guy who's car it was on the S2000 list wants to see it, as do the rest of that list!

All he's got are pictures of the result:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/r ... Medium.jpg

Nope, I was in front of him when the car let go, with the video camera pointing forwards :(

I'd pulled over to let him past along the pit straight. I looked up to see the car explode into a clould of white smoke - I initally thought he'd had a major rear wheel blow out as I could see bits bouncing along the car alongside the track - I thought they were bits of tyre, but I soon realised it was a bit more serious than that ..

It was one of the few S2000's I've heard that actually sounded really good on cam - what mods had he done to to the car?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Icsunonove wrote:I've never heard my car at full bore before at close quarters until I let Lauren take it out for a little spin! :wink:

What a glorious sound! I love it. :D Reminds me a bit of a Spitfire. It doesn't have the raw angry buzziness of a NA though....

The footage from Ben's car looking backwards demonstrates the difference. Ben, does your rev limiter actually work? :-k

Yep, it certainly does. It does a nice 'bark' when you run up against it at 7750 according to the rev counter. The rolling road showed peak RWHP of 102bhp at 7krpms, so I was shifting at/just after there. I did clip the rev limiter a couple of times but not on the clips which I've uploaded so far.

Anna, just get this from Demon Thieves, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new seat!:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... SAB901070N

It's four point, clip-in eyebolt stylie and makes a huge difference. On my first trackday in the SC without the harness it was hopeless. I was hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life. I couldn't drive it properly at all. The harness can be unclipped and removed in seconds. It's also road legal I understand...

Hmm, I might be interested .. or I could save a few quid and continue shuffling to annoy Lauren :mrgreen:

Tyres - :-o

They 'felt' just like A539s when they were sliding, it was very nice and progressive. Looking at the state of them you've got your money's worth from them though Tom!
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

MartG wrote:
Icsunonove wrote:Basically they are not round anymore and have just melted and on the edge of the tyre it’s just 24 blobs of rubber interspersed by canvas. The left front has started to delaminate as well.

I definitely mustn't have been trying hard enough - apart from a ridge of rubber which formed on my rear left ( and which wore off driving home ) my tyres look like they hadn't worn at all.

Martin - I had mine pumped up to 30F 34 R and I got very even wear. I'd brought two tyres expecting the nearside tyre's sidewalls to take a real beating but they were fine and I drove home on them.

I recon I'll get another couple of trackdays like that out of them before I need another set.

A539's are £50 a tyre though now for 185/60R14s ..
lower

Post by lower »

BenF wrote:
Nope, I was in front of him when the car let go, with the video camera pointing forwards :(

I'd pulled over to let him past along the pit straight. I looked up to see the car explode into a clould of white smoke - I initally thought he'd had a major rear wheel blow out as I could see bits bouncing along the car alongside the track - I thought they were bits of tyre, but I soon realised it was a bit more serious than that ..

It was one of the few S2000's I've heard that actually sounded really good on cam - what mods had he done to to the car?

shame. he obviously thought you caught it on camera.

it was a faily well modded engine that had done 110k miles, a fair bit of autobahn work and a lots and lots of trackdays. the mod that would make a difference to the noise is the J's racing exhaust and spoon exhaust manifold. he had the mugen snorkle on it too but that is just a cold air intake and apart from costing £1k it doesn't really change the induction sound.

apart from that it was baffled sump, spoon ecu, spoon headgasket, widened OEM throttle body, spoon inlet manifold, spoon lightened flywheel, and a lowered final drive ratio. Lots of money spent!

considering the miles and the amount of track work, with these mods this engine has not done badly to last this long full stop. the owner's not too upset as he figures he'll just build a new, higher power engine!
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

BenF wrote:

They're £36 fitted at my local tyre place, via BaT they were £45 each fitted. You need to shop around :)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Goto10 wrote:
BenF wrote:

They're £36 fitted at my local tyre place, via BaT they were £45 each fitted. You need to shop around :)

Yeah, I did! I tried mytyres, camskill, blackcircles and 3 or four local tyre fitters, one of which was the yokohama dealer for Ipswich the the best I found was £47 fitted/balanced. Most were £50-60 a tyre. I couldn't believe the prices as a couple of months back I bought a single A539 for £35 from the place now charging £47.

What's the place you use then - if I'm getting a set of four it sounds like it would be worth travelling down to them !
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Elite Tyres in Rainham.
http://www.elite-design.co.uk/

Just checked - they're still listed as £36 inc vat and fitting.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

BenF wrote:
Goto10 wrote:
BenF wrote:

Yeah, I did! I tried mytyres, camskill, blackcircles and 3 or four local tyre fitters, one of which was the yokohama dealer for Ipswich the the best I found was £47 fitted/balanced. Most were £50-60 a tyre. I couldn't believe the prices as a couple of months back I bought a single A539 for £35 from the place now charging £47.

What's the place you use then - if I'm getting a set of four it sounds like it would be worth travelling down to them !

Jonny mentioned that A539s have gone up in price recently, no idea why. I got a new set fitted yesterday though I don't pay up front for them as i just do an elvington day to pay for them.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Although we're now wandering way OT, it's rumoured that A539s are going out of production, hence the price rises. I'm sure that something just as fun will replace it though in that price bracket.
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

I'd best get some more before anyone tells Elite! ;)
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Yup, just phoned them £36.36 inc each + £6.95 delivery for 2 tyres.

I've go to find out how much fitting is, but assuming its below £45 per tyre all inc its a goer :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Speedy wrote:Although we're now wandering way OT, it's rumoured that A539s are going out of production, hence the price rises. I'm sure that something just as fun will replace it though in that price bracket.

I asked Jonny about this, he said that he hadn't heard anything about it. He's been dealing in yokos for years and sells more of them than any other make.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

ldavies83 wrote:Yup, just phoned them £36.36 inc each + £6.95 delivery for 2 tyres.

I've go to find out how much fitting is, but assuming its below £45 per tyre all inc its a goer :D

Hmm, looks like I'd better get down to Elite PDQ then!

Local tyre fitters seem to have got wise to people buying tyres on line and then turning up to get them fitted - when I did that with the Yokohama Advan Neovas for the Roadster they wanted £10 a tyre :shock: to fit them - Most places I've seen now charge £8-10 a tyre to fit and balance ..
MartG

Post by MartG »

A few more video clips....

One of my outlaps - I love the sound of the supercharger when I accelerate away from the pits. The GZE engine is extremely flexible - note that after accelerating from the pits I do the entire lap in 3rd gear ( OK, I'm a lazy driver :lol: )

http://www.turbomr2.co.uk/killercarrot/outlap.wmv

Another lap

http://www.turbomr2.co.uk/killercarrot/a_Lap.wmv

During this one the Lotus Exige expired - unfortunately the actual blowup was obscured by my rear view mirror, but you can see him pulling off the track at the end of the pit straight

http://www.turbomr2.co.uk/killercarrot/exige.wmv

Liz got a bit Caterised here

http://www.turbomr2.co.uk/killercarrot/Caterised.wmv

Many thanks to Goto10 for hosting space =D>
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Cool 8)

I think thats us (looks like Anna?) coming past at the end of the outlap (judging by the flexi-joint on the exhaust dragging on the ground) - our car sounds very loud though!

I'm impressed by how you can get around the hairpin in 3rd, next time will have to do some passenger laps :)
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
MartG

Post by MartG »

Speedy wrote:I'm impressed by how you can get around the hairpin in 3rd, next time will have to do some passenger laps :)

You're on ! 8)
MartG

Post by MartG »

Speedy wrote:I'm impressed by how you can get around the hairpin in 3rd, next time will have to do some passenger laps :)

You're on ! 8)
Blokey

Post by Blokey »

...looks like it's bounced over the curb but it has to be one of my favourites....

http://www.picman.co.uk/cgi-bin/v2.pl?p ... SC9531.jpg

B.

Return to “Event Videos”