[Mk2] [NA] 93 UK speck rear fog ligts dead

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2Madlad

[Mk2] [NA] 93 UK speck rear fog ligts dead

Post by Mr2Madlad »

HI all

As per title no rear fog lights working when headlights on.

Bulbs good, continuity from bulb holder to passenger footwell connector block good so loom from rear to front of car is ok, if I jumper from footwell connector to 12v source light work so ground good.

No rear fog symbol in instrument cluster lighting up either, bulb tested good, but does if I jumper as per above.

Switch seems to receive a 12v when headlights are on and the switch does switch the 12v so switch is working (4 wires, 2 are for the illumination of switch symbol when sidelights are on, the last 2 are: 1, 12v to one contact and once switched on, 2 the output contact from switch) so the switch is known ok.

After unclipping the connector from the footwell block holder the wire from dash loom that connects to the loom from back of car is a fatter red wire with white strip, the output from switch is a thin red wire with blue (or possibly green - poor lighting in my garage) wire so I think the switch triggers a relay that then turns on the rear fogs.

Anyone know where this relay is and if in fact it actually has one to start with?

The only fuse I can find is in the drivers footwell fuse box and this is for front fogs, this is ok and pulling it kills front.

I can't find any wiring diagram that has the UK REAR fogs on it so can't prove or disprove my theory, I'd like to get to the bottom of the issue before running a new wire just as I hate being beaten by a simple fault, but don't want to have to remove the entire dash to trace the wire path

If anyone can shed some light on the location of a possible relay or even a proper UK rear fog diagram that would be great

Thanks
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [NA] 93 UK speck rear fog ligts dead

Post by wilkie senior »

Hi the rear fog light relay is either up above the kick panel by the accelerator pedal or behind the glove box cant remember which I will have a look at mine when i go down to the garage

Regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016

Return to “Electrical”