[Mk2] [Turbo] Temp gauge going to max

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

archangel

[Mk2] [Turbo] Temp gauge going to max

Post by archangel »

Hi guys,

Any suggestions on things to check for this issue. When cold needle on the tenp gauge is at the bottom. When i run the engine it gradually moves up and when at running temp the gauge is at max. The water temps and thermostat are fine at around 85oC when running (read from water temp sensor feeding ecu. When i touch the cable against the block it goes from bottom to top as expected. I replaced the temp gauge sender (sensor with grey connector) and the new one reads exactly the same. Can anyone suggest anything else i should check?

1990 rev 1 turbo.
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Temp gauge going to max

Post by raptor95GTS »

does the actual radiator get hot? Do the two radiator pipes get warm? If no to either then I'd suspect the thermostat to be shut. The heater matrix gets coolant direct from engine so if it's hot then you can assume the engine is hot too.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yeah the radiator gets hot after it's been running a while and everything works fine. Running temps are fine and ecu is getting the correct temp (have motec m4 so reading from laptop). It's hust the temp gauge that seems to have a messed up scale.
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
archangel

Post by archangel »

In the end i just wired up an aftermarket gauge and connected it to the sensor. All works fine and reads the temp accurately now. Must have been a dodgy cable from sensor back to dash or even the gauge in the dash.

Return to “Electrical”