[Mk2] [Generic] Loose white wire and multiplug in engine bay fuse box.

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BALDYMONSTER

[Mk2] [Generic] Loose white wire and multiplug in engine bay fuse box.

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Probably nothing to worry about but I've just noticed these.

Can see me holding the suspect white wire in one pic and the white wire and multi plug in the other. Multi plug probably something to do with aircon or I don't know before the rev 3 turbo swap.

The other pic if you look closely you can see the metal bit where a wire would have been or perhaps where the loose white wire should be.

Anyone out my mind at rest?

Could this white wire come loose from this metal crimp here in this pic?

Pauln

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Loose white wire and multiplug in engine bay fuse box.

Post by Pauln »

For what it's worth my JDM rev 2 turbo has a white wire where you have just the empty connector, but the colours of the other wires looks different. So I guess it all depends on what harness was used during the conversion.

It's possible that the spare multi pin plug is for the fuel pump relay, which on a JDM turbo would be fitted on that spare bracket between the fuel injector resistor pack and the fuse box. But as it doesn't look as though the fuel pump resistor pack has been fitted in front of the fuel injector pack, I guess the conversion has simply stuck with a single speed fuel pump. So I wouldn't have though that was anything to worry about.

But hopefully someone with a better understanding of how a turbo conversion should be carried out will come along shortly.

Paul
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Pauln wrote:For what it's worth my JDM rev 2 turbo has a white wire where you have just the empty connector, but the colours of the other wires looks different. So I guess it all depends on what harness was used during the conversion.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.mr2.org.uk/images/mr2_engine_fusebox.jpg

It's possible that the spare multi pin plug is for the fuel pump relay, which on a JDM turbo would be fitted on that spare bracket between the fuel injector resistor pack and the fuse box. But as it doesn't look as though the fuel pump resistor pack has been fitted in front of the fuel injector pack, I guess the conversion has simply stuck with a single speed fuel pump. So I wouldn't have though that was anything to worry about.

But hopefully someone with a better understanding of how a turbo conversion should be carried out will come along shortly.

Paul

Thanks, might try connecting the white wire and see if anything changes.

All the requiring was done by repinning the fuse box in the engine bay apparently and the loom came with the full Rev 3 clip. Although I did constantly hear that the alternator wire from said loom was outrageously long and he had no idea why etc.

As I'm sure you know the original fuel pump turned out to be a cheap eBay pump for about £20 instead of the supposed TRE uprated pump that was supposed to be there.

Anyway, I paid to have it all redone and a genuine Walbro 255LPH fitted so would that have anything to do with the multiplug? Doubt it but thought I'd ask.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I wouldn't have thought so, just looks like it's an unused connection from the stock wiring loom which wasn't needed because of the fuel pump upgrade.

If it's all working OK, I'm not sure if it would be wise reconnecting the white wire until you can trace where it's going to.
Paul
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Pauln wrote:I wouldn't have thought so, just looks like it's an unused connection from the stock wiring loom which wasn't needed because of the fuel pump upgrade.

If it's all working OK, I'm not sure if it would be wise reconnecting the white wire until you can trace where it's going to.
Paul

Makes sense with hindsight, wondered if it had anything to do with the code 52 fault that was flagging up for a while but turned out it just needed the wire replaced.
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

im not as knowledgable as many of the good people on here

but a search for fault 52

"52,53 Knock indicator (sensor)"
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

wilkie senior wrote:im not as knowledgable as many of the good people on here

but a search for fault 52

"52,53 Knock indicator (sensor)"

I had fault 52 for weeks.

Tried three different knock sensors but all made it worse and the original went back to being off and on issue.

Eventually replaced the entire wire as the knock sensor to ecu wire was like tissue paper.

Rewired wirh quality wire. Properly insulated, heat shrunk wrapped and insulated and problem solved instantly.

No other issues at all.

Did a compression check and all cylinders were absokutley spot on. Plugs perfect as well. No smoke at all on cold start up, overrun, under acceleration etc. Nothing.

Doesn't use a drop of oil either.

All good.

Return to “Electrical”