TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

Re: TRD Widebody - 509.6BHP!

Post by Jimbob »

No mate unfortunately I was ill pretty much just before new years till last week. I maanged to install my Fuel Temp and EGT thermocouples in place, just got to finish the EGT one.

Hopefully I will get the car mapped in a month or so once the roads get a bit better. I will probably get a dyno setup so its running nice then pop back for a road map in better weather.

The base map is ready to be uploaded once I wire in my Wideband this weekend/friday.

I'll update soon hopefully.

In terms of shows, lets see what the new year brings but I am to go to JAE and japshow. Mainly be doing some trackmeets this year I think. Probably ignore my paintwork for a year and get some track damage in!
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Jim I need to ask you a few qestions about a tig welder if thats ok is it ok to PM you ??
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yeah fire away, i'll help if I can. Tig welding is not that easy for a beginner, the temperatures at the tip are so high its easy to blow holes etc and its hard to weld very thin material like body panels.

For a jack of all trades a decent Mig is easier to master, plus if your guna spend a bit you can get some wicked Mig sets now which will give you penetration and finish to rival that of Tig with no spatter.
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

I have a Mig welder sip140 and its ok good enough for my needs, and I can gas weld Ok too

Never used Tig

I was considering a 200amp Tig welder for welding stainless and alu, basic stiff really

Would that cut it or would I be wasting my time
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

Leakie Tbar wrote:I have a Mig welder sip140 and its ok good enough for my needs, and I can gas weld Ok too

Never used Tig

I was considering a 200amp Tig welder for welding stainless and alu, basic stiff really

If you can gas weld well then you shoud pick up tig very easily

I had one of the small 200a inverter tig welders and it worked very well ,It also outperformed a MMA welder which weighs half a ton, but be careful as with everything there are good and bad brands
I had lincoln electric inverter tig welder if that helps

I have also found that unless the metal is thin alumininium is a biatch to tig weld, i have always got on better with MIG on ally but thats probably just me
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

3sgte wrote:
Leakie Tbar wrote:I have a Mig welder sip140 and its ok good enough for my needs, and I can gas weld Ok too

Never used Tig

If you can gas weld well then you shoud pick up tig very easily

I had one of the small 200a inverter tig welders and it worked very well ,It also outperformed a MMA welder which weighs half a ton, but be careful as with everything there are good and bad brands
I had lincoln electric inverter tig welder if that helps

I have also found that unless the metal is thin alumininium is a biatch to tig weld, i have always got on better with MIG on ally but thats probably just me

Cheers Dude,

I want too weld max 3mm aluuminuim plate/sheet and the odd piece of stainless steel pipe,

I was looking at one of those 200amp invertors what are they like for Alu
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yeah, a 200A tig will struggle with 4-5mm ally, plus it has to be nice and clean, dont use grinders or sandpaper to cut if possible.

I'm talking about a synergic Mig, they are pretty dam hot but expect to pay around £5k plus. Kempy do some good gear.

I'll PM you some info later if you like?

Marc,

Nice Avatar, the wheels look much better even though I liked the Buddy Clubs.

Just to compete with your lights, got my own quads i'm making now, pics to follow soon, maybe tonight.
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Cheers Chaps Pm away please,
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well had a play with my lights and got a quick coat of black on to highlight any imperfections. Still got to flat them a bit and put a few top coats on, but generally coming along ok.

The angel eyes are just wedged in place for now and haven't been bounded.

I'll try and get some pics up with them lit. This weekends priority, weather permitting, is to get the car running on the AEM

ryan

Post by ryan »

Jimbob, I love your car, its the only of the replicas i'd consider having, but those lights are not to my taste at all. I hope they look good once theyre on cos it would spoil a fab car if they werent 8-[ :pray:
hicks

Post by hicks »

got to agree with ryan there.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well they are taking a lot longer than expected mainly due to the quality of the housings.

I'm probably going to change them a bit now anyway, going to have the projectors on the outsides maybe?

I offered them up and they look good. once there finished i'll see how i feel.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well the lights have taken a back seat in favour of getting my engine sorted and running on the AEM.

Well its now running on AEM after quite a few teething problems, but after a few phone calls with Ryan at 2Bartuning, it has a nice base map and drives very nicely.

Got the bootmount fully installed and its working very well indeed. The pipes on the outlet side are hardly even warm to the touch so I am well pleased. Will have to see what its like with some boost and more spirited driving!

Its booked in for mapping with Ryan on the 8th of March so fingers crossed.
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Any news Jim mapping ??
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hi Mate,

Yeah the car was mapped with mixed results.

We got the car on the rollers and had a play. After setting up the AEM boost control the car was run at wastegate pressure to see what was what. In this state at 6-7psi we made 230bhp, nice, good spool.

We then upped the boost and re-mapped at 1.0bar, even better we made 350bhp and thought this is going well. James at 3S who was otherwise quiete curled his bottom lip and nodded.

Then we went for more boost so dialled in 1.4bar. Now the power increase was not good. We couldn't figure out what was up and ran out of time on the dyno as Lockys car had to come on. So we went on the road to check things and had a big missfire. We changed the plugs on Ryans advice to coppers and went out again. We then discovered the stock knock sensor was throwing up a lot of random noise and causing the AEMs knock control to retard timing. So switched off active knock off and the car started to motor, now we had too much fuel, so Ryan suspected a poor flame front on the dyno (due to plugs?) leading to poor figures at the higher boost setting. We trimmed fuel and managed to get in 4-6' of advance cant remember which. At this point the car felt good and was going nice, but as the dyno was closed we got no final power figure.

So to summarise [email protected], unknown at 1.4bar

It is very laggy for a 3071r though. I have spoken with Ryan and he knows I am not happy about the lag, but he has offered to come to me and sort things out which is cool. Once its on boost it flies but its so slow getting there. Especially for my setup.

So lets see what Ryan can do on the second tune up.....................
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Rome wasn't built in a day matey, your bound to have some niggles to contend with but with time it will sort itself out - you got a good foundation for some great power.

Keep it up, fantastic car :thumleft:
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Jim Good start \:D/

It can just get better Ryan is a top guy :thumleft:

Good luck keep us updated

Kev
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Lets hope so. Cheers for the comments

Nathan, what ignitors are you using? I hate the stock ignition system as it has plagued my cars reliability since I bought it. I have two set's of COP's both of which were recomended as good items from the AEM forum. I am probably going to use 2 of the link two channel ignitors that Thor stock and use the AEM drivers and run CDI. I dont fancy watsed spark as apparently it has worse economy and full sequential as you are opting for is a bit more involved.

I looked at yours and they look like gen5 celica sticks?

You can PM me if its :-$

James
Ryan.g

Post by Ryan.g »

Must first say that this is lovely car which James has built here.

There are a few teething issues which need to be sorted before the next mapping session.

First one is i feel that the cam timing is set wrong or there is a boost leak which is causing it to be so laggy. There are a couple of factors in mapping which can effect the spool but not as much as there is with James car. Hopefully i will persuade Marc (3sgte) to pop round and help James with the cam timing as he Set Jimgts's up which only has a rev3 intake car like James and that had fanastic torque results in the end :thumleft: Also James is going to pressure test the whole system as well as although his system is very good there are alot of pipes so could easily enough have a leak.

Also the AEM has a brilliant closed loop knock system but due to an issue with James current knock sensor it was picking up pure noise after 2k rpm which means it can not be setup.

In a couple of week time i will hopefully catch up with him when i am away at marham for a track weekend so will have more time to get it perfect.

James see if you can get the 11th of April off matey as could spend the day with you and then head up to Marham for the weekend after were i already am mapping 4+ cars.

Ryan
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Jimbob wrote:Lets hope so. Cheers for the comments

Nathan, what ignitors are you using? I hate the stock ignition system as it has plagued my cars reliability since I bought it. I have two set's of COP's both of which were recomended as good items from the AEM forum. I am probably going to use 2 of the link two channel ignitors that Thor stock and use the AEM drivers and run CDI. I dont fancy watsed spark as apparently it has worse economy and full sequential as you are opting for is a bit more involved.

I looked at yours and they look like gen5 celica sticks?

You can PM me if its :-$

James

Im using Caldina coils James, my crank trigger is a great piece of kit, as will be the cam trigger... ill post some pics up of that once all finished.

I have a beams toyota crank trigger wheel and sensor (brand new) if your interested - only problem is you need a beams sump pan and oil pump to house it #-o

Good luck, if i can help anyway please let me know.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com

Return to “Project Cars”