SW20 TSS Build

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

k11cpc

SW20 TSS Build

Post by k11cpc »

I promised Steve Horrocks I would post up a build project of his much loved Rev 3 I recently purchased from him so here it is......

As I had a slight argument with a wall while travelling sideways I decided rather than have the car pulled straight I would buy a decent shell and build the car from the ground up. The car I started with was a 1994 Rev3 in black

The first thing to do was strip down the 1990 Rev 1 I broke....

With the white car stripped I could now start on the black car and the engine....

First I removed the old suspension including all the control arms. The K Sport Coilovers have to go back to the previous owner so I have the front end in the air to sort out all the running gear.

As you can see the parts are pretty rusty so I will refurnish all the bits before fitting any new shiny bits!

It's amazing what a shot blaster can do!!!

So they don't get into this state I painted them....

I then pressed in my new Super Pro Polly bushes! Was hard work as it took 8 tonne's of pressure to press out the old bushes!!

I then fitted my front Cusco Strut Brace

With the suspension bushes in and ready to go I started to fit my XYZ Coilovers. These are fully adjustable which will be great for the track!

I then fitted the control arms etc... with the new Polly Bushes

As the car was up North everything was seized on or sheared off when removing so I fitted new steering rack boots, new lower ball joints and track rod ends.

I then fitted my White Line ARB's with new Super Pro Polly bushes as they are better than the bushes that come with the White Line ARB's!

Next came the bit I was excited about!! I started to fit my new XYZ 6pot front brake kit... I also have XYZ 4pot rear brakes to go on so the car should stop well!!

With this done I really needed to get some wheels sorted out as my 15's obviously would not go on over these brakes! I bought some 16" Skyline GTR & GTS T wheels from R32. The fronts are alloy and 6.5" wide from the GTS T and the rears are forged mag and 8" wide from the GTR. This works out well as they are lighter at the back and the MR2 needs the back to be as light as possible without removing too much from the front!

They were in a bad way so I got them refurbished and powder coated black after an X-Ray to make sure the mag wheels were ok!!

I have yesterday got my A048R Yokahama Tyres fitted so this weekend I can get the front back on the floor to do the same with the rear!! Can't wait now..

Well thats me up to date, I will keep you all posted on my progress over the coming weeks. I have a cage to go in and the car is being re-sprayed in January in Arctic White...
Steve Horrocks

Re: SW20 TSS Build

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Cheers Chris, look after her!!! Oh, and good luck with it all, (been lurking watching the thread on TSS forum!)
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

will get the back coilovers off this weekend so you can have them back over xmas break.. I have to drop off some R888's to a guy near you so will see you soon :wink:

Will look after her I promise :twisted:
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Top man Chris, no rush buddy.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

Ok so today I ventured out to my parents place in the snow... The things we do for our cars :D

I finished off the front brakes and fitted the front wheels so I could get going on the back suspension. I think the XYZ brakes look great against the black wheels... Just waiting for my forged wheel nuts to arrive now so only put on 3 nuts for the time being.

With the font back on the deck I could get the back sorted out. I removed the old K Sport Coilovers so they are ready to return to Steve...

Then I removed the wheel hubs, control arms etc.... These will be refurbished next week as they are really rusty. I will be replacing the bushes and ball joints etc..

The plan is to get them refurbished next week so I can get the car back on its wheels over Xmas so I can get the engine back in early Jan as its booked in for a respray late Jan!!
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

OK so I really am that sad that I could not resist doing a bit more on the car today... Good thing I have an understanding Wife!!

With the engine out I decided to give it a dam good clean. It's harder than you think trying to get really old oil off the engine!! I firstly stripped off the Rocker Cover which as you can see looks really horrible so I decided to paint it in high temperature paint.

Rocker Cover Before

And after...

It looks loads better than it did... Not finished cleaning the engine so I'm going to finish that over xmas and get some new Rocker Cover bolts as the screws are rubbish and hardly hold down the cover which is why there is soooo much oil over the engine in the first place!!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Good effort chap, look forward to seeing the finished article!
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

Me too... I'm on a tight deadline as the car needs to be at the garage for full respray by 16th January and I still have a fair bit to do. I want to get everything finished before paint as I'm worried I will stuff up the new paint still working on the car...

If I ever do a new build again its going to be over summer.... working when your freezin cold is not so nice!!
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

I've got a set of the 16x6.5 GTS T wheels for the planned trackday car - I was mulling over getting one pair banded for the rear, but now I know all I need are some of the 16x8's...never knew they were the same style but wider! :D

Are they both the same offset?

Also what size are those discs by the way if you don't mind me asking?
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

Keri-WMS wrote:I've got a set of the 16x6.5 GTS T wheels for the planned trackday car - I was mulling over getting one pair banded for the rear, but now I know all I need are some of the 16x8's...never knew they were the same style but wider! :D

Are they both the same offset?

Also what size are those discs by the way if you don't mind me asking?

As you can see from the pics because they are wider they look slightly different but not much. Yeah they are exactly the same fitment as the fronts just wider :D

As for the brakes they are not much bigger than Rev2 brakes being only 286mm but you can get them in 303, 330, 356, 380 & 400mm!!! I opted for the 286mm as I had rev1 brakes and did not really want bigger than 16" wheels on the car as my experiance of 17" wheels was not so good the car seemed to feel better on the 15's. These brakes would go under with 10mm spacers but they were a bit too close for my liking :shock:

Anyways today I decided to do a bit more on the car, firstly stripped down the rear hubs and removed the old bushes... at 9 tonnes of pressure on the press one of the control arms started to bend!!! After quickly releasing the pressure it bent back! I was a little worried tho that it had cracked so got out the old dyepen kit and had a look to see if there were any cracks but there were not thankfully.... Decided to burn the rest of the bushes out!!

I shot blasted everything again and pressed in the new polly bushes. The only major problem the drive shafts are secured with a nut and this nut as well and truly seized on both sides!! Got out the old oxy acetylene and got heating the nut up until I eventually managed to undo them. Only trouble now is I need new wheel bearings and I'm dammed if I can get them out!!!

Anyways here are some pics!!

With this lot done once I get the wheel bearings sorted I can get the car back on its wheels.... I today ordered an excedy paddle clutch and some new rear ball joints! We are getting there!! It will be ready for paint in jan!!! :shock:
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

k11cpc wrote:As you can see from the pics because they are wider they look slightly different but not much. Yeah they are exactly the same fitment as the fronts just wider :D

As for the brakes they are not much bigger than Rev2 brakes being only 286mm but you can get them in 303, 330, 356, 380 & 400mm!!! I opted for the 286mm as I had rev1 brakes and did not really want bigger than 16" wheels on the car as my experiance of 17" wheels was not so good the car seemed to feel better on the 15's. These brakes would go under with 10mm spacers but they were a bit too close for my liking :shock:

Hmmm, the (nasty) 16's I've got at the moment have loads of spare room with 298.5mm / 4 pots, I hope the GTR wheel is as good!

The other plan I have is to go back to the 15" Turbo wheels and get 280mm 4-pots up those, but it's a REAL challange due to the daft shape of the inside of the wheels.
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

These 286mm 6pots will fit under 15's but only with 10mm spacers
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

k11cpc wrote:These 286mm 6pots will fit under 15's but only with 10mm spacers

Is that the Mk2 Turbo 15" or does XYZ say they "fit 15" wheels"?

Some 15's can take 310mm 4 pots, others I've seen won't even fit 260mm 4 pots! ](*,)

It all depends on the shape of the back of the spokes, especially where the spoke merges into the rim.
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

Keri-WMS wrote:
k11cpc wrote:These 286mm 6pots will fit under 15's but only with 10mm spacers

Is that the Mk2 Turbo 15" or does XYZ say they "fit 15" wheels"?

Some 15's can take 310mm 4 pots, others I've seen won't even fit 260mm 4 pots! ](*,)

It all depends on the shape of the back of the spokes, especially where the spoke merges into the rim.

These will will fit under 15" MR2 wheels with 10mm Spacers
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

k11cpc wrote:These will will fit under 15" MR2 wheels with 10mm Spacers

Interesting, ta for the info! :thumleft:
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

OK so there has been a bit more done on my car this week.. Still been having trouble getting the bolts undone so had to cut off some more!! Never buy a car from the North if you intend to rebuild it!!!

My lovely new wheel nuts turned up and yes I'm that sad I got really excited about them.... trying to keep everything corporate to match my CTC Performance Company Logo :)

I decided to do some more work on the engine.. Fitted my freshly painted rocker cover along with the new CTC Performance manifold and down pipe and then my blitz oil filter.

Finally I cleaned out the engine bay and painted it and then fitted my rear XYZ coilovers

As I'm still waiting for the rear ball joints thank you christmas post!! the rest of the rear end will have to wait until they arrive so will start working on the electrics and removing sound deadening in the car...
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

Lovely build so far mate! What are the prices of the xyz calipers and coilovers like?
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Why did you choose that manifold and downpipe????
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

As Im selling the xyz coilovers and brakes I would say they are a great price and you should buy some lol. I'm going to be talking to the guys about being set up as a trader in jan but until then I better not say too much. Also XYZ are strict on retail price so always pm for best price... I will pm you some prices later for ur interest :D

As for the CTC Performance bits... they are my own brand... my down pipe had a massive crack so needed replacing anyways and the manifold I wanted equal length pipes as they are all different on the standard one so this should help balance things up. This should give better pulse distribution and quicker spool time plus sustain top end power. As mentioned above can't say too much but watch this space

Chris
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

are they the same manufacture as the xs power ones or the ss autochrome??

Return to “Project Cars”