SW20 TSS Build

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

Re: SW20 TSS Build

Post by Jimbob »

You had a chance to test the brakes? Is it a direct fit kit? Looks nice

A couple of minor points of correction, the weld does not swell on the inside of the pipe, its weld material from burning through. You use purge gas to ensure that when you get the penetration it doesn't oxidise which would otherwise lead to inclusions in the weld.

321 has negligable difference in thermal coefficient of expansion compared to 316 or 304.

Pipe fittings will permit 2-3 passes, but weigh a ton and cost a fortune
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

RedMR² wrote:Great progress dude! What colour you going for? :-k :thumleft:

Its going to be arctic white... good for a race car as sponsorship always looks good on white back drop... was tempted with focus rs green but sensible head won...

And Jim Bob have I missed something as I have no idea what your talking about with regards to welding??

As for the brakes yes they are full kit with everything needed to fit, they are having brake fluid done this week and once the car is running with a seat I will get chance to give them a try. Cant wait now....
craig

Post by craig »

Sounds great fella, I wait in anticipation for the spray job results! 8)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Someone replied to you on welding.

Cool, does it include an option to retain the cable handbrake on the rears or is it a front only kit?
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

Still cant see welding bit... prob just me being daft...

They do the 4 pot's for the back but I'm sorting out seperate handbrake caliper from hispec. The engineering dept at xyz are working on rears with handbrake at the mo as this would put many off but mr2 is not great if you just upgrade the fronts.
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

Get my car back tomorrow from paint....... Can't wait!!! Rogues Cage will be the next bit... Not long now and I can drive it !!!! Not driven a MR2 since October!!!!
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Christ Chris, only since October... I've known people's "freshen ups" take longer, and you've bloody rebuilt the thing!!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

8)

really liking this

Good work :mrgreen:
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

OK so I picked the car up from paint yesterday..... Not 100% happy with it as they went nuts and pretty much painted everything in sight! Every bit of black trim is now white! Also the finish is not great but then I did not pay a lot so I was not expecting amazing finish. Once its stickered up it won't look too bad I guess... On Tuesday night I will be using wet and dry to try and improve the finish.

So here are some pic's of the paint. I will be putting some of the black plastic bits that are white back to black including the wiper arms....

I have replaced the front wipers and the black trim above the wiper motor's so they are black again...

Next I spent a fair few hours removing the 10KG of sound deadening from the floors..

I then fitted the Alloy Door Cards..

Last but not least today I fitted my nice new exhaust, I just hope its below 100db as that tends to be the limit on most tracks. I'm not holding my breath tho!!

So the plan is tart up the paint finish then test fit the roll cage ready to be fitted next weekend all being well. I also ordered my HiSpec SVA spot callipers so that I can get the car MOT'd as there is no handbrake at the moment. Not long now till the first round of the TSS so better get cracking!!
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Crickey, thats a lot of white!! lol

Good progress Chris!
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

Don't start Steve not 100% happy with the paint but hey you get what you pay for lol
draz1k

Post by draz1k »

any more pics / updates? great read :thumleft:
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

not yet had some electrical issues as it's a rev1 rear loom, ecu and fuse box, Rev2 engine and rev 3 chassis and front loom ](*,)

Managed to get her running tho so this weekend I will be fitting the roll cage from Rogue, painting the floors in the car, fitting the rear lights, seat and harness, new steering wheel and should have been fitting the Hi Spec SVA Handbrake calipers but after 3 weeks they are not here even tho they keep promising they are on the way!!!! Can't even buy the willwood equivalent as they only go over 20.8mm disks and mine are 26mm wide :mad:

Once this is done then its off to the garage for an MOT and some photo's for a magazine feature. Next job then will be sticker the hell out of the car with my company details and all the TSS sponsors including Toyota this year!!

http://www.toyotagb-press.co.uk/protect ... index.html

Once this is done then its time for the car to do me proud and win me some trophy's :D
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

You're thread makes me want to go into debt to fund the last bits for this years series!! I'm being good so far, but would need to sort a cage and fire system to meet the regs I think (the engine cut isn't part of the regs is it?)

Also, do you know if Tein Super Streets are acceptable for the Street class?
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

Yeah I'm 99% sure the coilovers will be fine. Only things that separate street from Pro is tyres and full interior trim.

Fire extinguisher is a good idea anyway and to be fair so is a cage... Get your credit card out... I got paid today and am still in the red!! (hope my other half does not look on here!!)
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Yeah, trying to keep it off credit as we're looking to buy a house in the next few months, and all these things will come out..... :-$

Do the Tein tension rods count as rose joints? I have no idea what the regs mean when they say 'no rose joints' which applies to the Street category...
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

You would have to ask adrian but i would not of thought they would be a problem
k11cpc

Post by k11cpc »

I drove the car today.... although I had no seat so was a bit of a rubbish drive but the car works!! Well happy.

So basically I got the new front lights fitted

I then fitted the plates to bolt down the cage and welded them in place.... This was a fairly difficult job and took me most of Sat to get the cage in. I had to use shorter bolts than provided as they ended up marking the roof in a couple of places as its a tight squeeze to get the cage in but we managed it ok...

With the cage fitted I finished off removing the sound deadening, I then sorted out all the wires so they were neat and tidy. I fitted the rest of the wires behind the dash including the clocks and the dash trim so it actually is now looking more like a car!

I then painted the floors where the sound proofing had been removed so this meant I could do no more to the interior. I then moved on to the rear lights. I fitted a reversing light and fog light into the center panel and then the tail lights and rear number plate although this will be changing soon as there is a crack in the plate.

So basically I still need to fit the Hi Spec Handbrake calipers if they ever turn up, fit my new OMP steering wheel, Ultra Racing rear strut brace, two Cobra Seats in Red, TRS Harnesses, refit the chargecooler pre-rad and then its off down the MOT garage ready for the magazine feature shoot! That will leave me about 2 weeks to get the car stickered up ready for Rockingham.... Not bad timing!!
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

OMG! I completely forgot for a minute there & thought "that number plate looks familiar!" my poor little stomach did a turn! Can't wait to see a finished photoshoot & I'm gonna try to make it to an event if I can to see you/it in action!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Looking good! What cage have you used? How much interior would need cutting out to fit the cage do you think?
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...

Return to “Project Cars”